Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

grohl is a phenomenal drummer.....what he did on 'songs for the deaf' blew me away....he could play metal if he wanted to....he was very restrained on some of the nirvana stuff cos the songs did'nt need fancy drumming with loads of rolls.....thats another factor people should consider about drummers is what they choose to do to make a song better.....song first....ego second...

i could have sworn i saw avenged sevenfold doing a christian rock song called "dear lord" on kerrang...very funny considering most of their image revolves around flying skulls with bat wings and satanic tesco rrrock imagery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

The songs called "Dear God", and just because its called that doesn't mean its a christian song.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

what the **** is satanic tesco rock imagery and how did you get that from A7X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

very funny considering most of their image revolves around flying skulls with bat wings and satanic tesco rrrock imagery...

haha word!! I like you

what the **** is satanic tesco rock imagery and how did you get that from A7X
    I was wondering that aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

look anyblody can just metion a good drummers name, infact that been done quite alot in this thread but it doesnt make the rev a bad drummer. he's an amazing drummer with a very creative style with a technical backround so like him or not, you cant say he's not good

I'm going to leave this here:

Then I'm just gonna put this out there:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I think you picked one of the songs where the rev isn't as active... if you put "Beast and the Harlot" in there for example it may have been a better comparison.

At the same time his studio output has always sounded better than his live performances... just like another very famous drummer;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I don't think yer man Rev is a great drummer after listen to a couple of Avenge Senvefold songs. If you want a great technical drummer, look up Sean Reinert.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I did think Avenged Sevenfold were cool for about 5 minutes in the RDS when they played Panteras "Walk".... but thats cause it was a Pantera song

Karl, you cant compare those two songs, or their drummers. They play two completly different styles.

Hell, anyone can blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just being able to play blast beats at 4000 bpm doesnt mean your the worlds best guitarist similar just cause you can trem pick your open E string at 5000 bpm doesn't mean your the worlds best guitarist.

Anyway going on topic they just a rock band which your ordinary 14 year old would like but beyond that they are bland and boring. What annoys me more is the amount of mindless people its spurred to make such statments such as "Omg Sysnter Gates is the best guitarist EVER" with no actual proof. If people actually think that these guys are some of the best musicians on the planet then god help us. Just as bad as the Garbage Guy from Slipknot who hits cans saying they are bigger then Metallica :rolleyes:

LD 50 wrote: »
    I could play that second song you posted.

I demand proof in the form of a youtube vid.

I knew you'd say something like that, and was debating whether to actually post that or not. But unfortunatly I don't have a camera. But I know I can blast as fast as that.
    So I shall retract my statement, but if I can prove it Karl, you will be the first to hear about it.

I still stand by my previous point that you cant compare two musicians that play completly different styles.

LD 50 wrote: »
    I knew you'd say something like that, and was debating whether to actually post that or not. But unfortunatly I don't have a camera. But I know I can blast as fast as that.
    So I shall retract my statement, but if I can prove it Karl, you will be the first to hear about it.

I still stand by my previous point that you cant compare two musicians that play completly different styles.

Nah, you don't have to prove anything, I'm just being cheeky. And honestly, I'm not really seriously comparing anyone, in fact I didn't specifically say one drummer was better than another when I posted those 2 videos. But I suppose if we're to have a more serious discussion about it, then alrighty. ;)

The thing is, I suppose I take issue with the notion that "Anyone can blast", that's like saying anyone can play slow; it's meaningless, unless you think all there is to drumming is a sliding scale of fast/slow. Not that I'm saying that's what you think, but there's blasts and then there's blasts, you know what I mean? Lets take for example, the guy from The Berzerker, and compare him to Pete Sandoval. I'd say they're both extremely fast, but Pete is 10 times better, his drumming has character, dynamics, feeling, whereas the Berzerker drummer is all speed and no substance.

There's a lot of metal drummers who can indeed blast like the best of them, such as Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Tomas Haake, Richard Christy, Martin Lopez, and many others, who are absolutely incredible, but they're not simply notable because they're fast. There's speed and then there's speed with style, dynamics, and all these drummers are doing something interesting when they're blasting, and doing something just as interesting when they're playing slower. Likewise Trym Torson from Emperor/Zyklon (drummer in the vid I posted earlier), he's a terrific drummer, easily one of my favourites in metal, but not because he's fast. Like so. Tim Yeung is probably faster, but boring as hell.

You say you can play as fast as him, well I don't really doubt that, but playing something at the same speed isn't really anything, is it? Is someone playing the same speed as Sean Reinert going to be playing something as interesting? I'll show you something else, probably my favourite Jazz drummer is Billy Cobham, so listen to the drumming he does before the song there, he's fast as hell, probably faster than a lot of metal drummers, but it's all about the feel of the rolls, just how musical it is.

Don't get me wrong though, we're talking Metal here so speed is awesome, but there's uninteresting, boring speed, and there's speed where it's interesting, musical, and it sounds fantastic.

Now, can you compare drummer who are playing different styles? I guess no more than you can compare apples or oranges, but on the flip side you'll know if you prefer apples or oranges. So I guess while I couldn't really compare Billy Cobham and Trym, I know they both do something I like, that I find really interesting and musical, and something that sets them apart from other in their style. Likewise I think Neil Peart is beyond compare in Rock.

The drummer from Avenged Sevenfold, just strikes me as boring. Now, I gave a listen to the song Beast and the Harlot, but still uninteresting and dull. Fair enough, comparing him to an extreme metal drummer might not be the best, so how does a comparison to Brann Dailor from Mastodon suit? If so, lets compare:

Brann's a drummer who does something I find far, far more interesting than The Rev's boring, metal by numbers drumming.

OK Mega quote post time.
    Nah, you don't have to prove anything, I'm just being cheeky. And honestly, I'm not really seriously comparing anyone, in fact I didn't specifically say one drummer was better than another when I posted those 2 videos. But I suppose if we're to have a more serious discussion about it, then alrighty. ;)
    Alrighty then. *lays down gauntlet*:D
    The thing is, I suppose I take issue with the notion that "Anyone can blast", that's like saying anyone can play slow; it's meaningless, unless you think all there is to drumming is a sliding scale of fast/slow. Not that I'm saying that's what you think, but there's blasts and then there's blasts, you know what I mean? Lets take for example, the guy from The Berzerker, and compare him to Pete Sandoval. I'd say they're both extremely fast, but Pete is 10 times better, his drumming has character, dynamics, feeling, whereas the Berzerker drummer is all speed and no substance.
    Ok, maybe not everyone can blast. I've seen guy trying to do it, and failing horribly. Perhaps what I should have said was that its not the hardest technique to learn. But mastering it, and getting up to those +220bpm speeds is hard.
    I've been playing for a good number of years, so I know there is a lot more to it than just fast/slow. Dynamics, timing, tempo, time sigs, aswell as not playing something for the sake of just playing it are all important. Over playing can ruin songs.
    There's a lot of metal drummers who can indeed blast like the best of them, such as Gene Hoglan, Dave Lombardo, Tomas Haake, Richard Christy, Martin Lopez, and many others, who are absolutely incredible, but they're not simply notable because they're fast. There's speed and then there's speed with style, dynamics, and all these drummers are doing something interesting when they're blasting, and doing something just as interesting when they're playing slower. Likewise Trym Torson from Emperor/Zyklon (drummer in the vid I posted earlier), he's a terrific drummer, easily one of my favourites in metal, but not because he's fast. Like so. Tim Yeung is probably faster, but boring as hell.
    That list is a good example of drummers who use the song and can make it more, for lack of a better phrase, rather than just playing what is expected which can get boring after hearing straight out 16ths or 32nds on the bass drums.
    You say you can play as fast as him, well I don't really doubt that, but playing something at the same speed isn't really anything, is it? Is someone playing the same speed as Sean Reinert going to be playing something as interesting? I'll show you something else, probably my favourite Jazz drummer is Billy Cobham, so listen to the drumming he does before the song there, he's fast as hell, probably faster than a lot of metal drummers, but it's all about the feel of the rolls, just how musical it is.
    I know. I like listening to a couple of jazz drummers here and there. Dave Weckl would probably be one of my favourites. Jazz has more of a freedom than metal or rock. While you can play fast, usaully the fast parts will have dynamics, or will be made more interesting like the start of the Billy Cobham vid. No, speed isnt everything. A lot of jazz drummer's kill could easily surpass a lot of metal drummers in terms of skill, knowledge, technique, speed....
    Don't get me wrong though, we're talking Metal here so speed is awesome, but there's uninteresting, boring speed, and there's speed where it's interesting, musical, and it sounds fantastic.

Now, can you compare drummer who are playing different styles? I guess no more than you can compare apples or oranges, but on the flip side you'll know if you prefer apples or oranges. So I guess while I couldn't really compare Billy Cobham and Trym, I know they both do something I like, that I find really interesting and musical, and something that sets them apart from other in their style. Likewise I think Neil Peart is beyond compare in Rock.
    I'd have to agree with you there. He's so creative, not just on his big kit, but on a simple 4 piece, like on Malignant Narcissim.
    The drummer from Avenged Sevenfold, just strikes me as boring. Now, I gave a listen to the song Beast and the Harlot, but still uninteresting and dull. Fair enough, comparing him to an extreme metal drummer might not be the best, so how does a comparison to Brann Dailor from Mastodon suit? If so, lets compare:

Brann's a drummer who does something I find far, far more interesting than The Rev's boring, metal by numbers drumming.

You're right there. They do play the same type of music, and compared to Brann, the Rev is boring. Brann is a excellent drummer, and you're not sure what he'll play next. He has some crazy hands. Not saying the Rev's not a good drummer, it just doesn't get to show in A7x. And he does have something that a lot of drummers don't. Flare. If you see him in the vids or live he's always doing stick tricks and getting the crowd involved.

How you managed to write that post at 5am is beyond me!:eek::D

Good post there LD 50. ;)

Think it might be time to take this to a new thread though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i was just thinking how did ye get from avenge seven fold to this hahà!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jimmy-jazz

the lyrics of this song explain why i do not like them, and others like them.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PCCyO68bqdQ&feature=related

then of course there's just their music.

Matbe i started this thread in the wrong section aswell, i mean there not exactly proper metal, more pop.

Matbe i started this thread in the wrong section aswell, i mean there not exactly proper metal, more pop.

No, you didn't start it in the wrong section at all. You asked why people dislike the band, and they've told you, I don't think the answers would be all that different if you had asked elsewhere.

• Advertisement

They may not be proper metal, but no WAY are they pop.

no i didnt mean i started them in the wrong section because you dont like them, i know what i asked, i was just saying that because you keep comparing the drummer to these heavy metal drummers when thats not his style of drummong at all. They may not be typical pop but they have about 10 videos that spam, scuzz and kerang so they are mass produced pop to some extent.

Ah. I was only talking about the drummers, and comparing them, because it got brought up several pages back, and I happen to be one so thought I could contribute. Not fan the flames of a small drummer-flame-war. I like listening to their music, and the Rev's a good drummer in the band.

I still wouldn't call them mass produced pop, just because they're on kerrang and scuzz. Lots of bands get aired on those channels, Metallica, Slayer, and numerous other bands that I cant think of! Alot of **** bands too. Everything A7x play is metal IMO. Mass produced metal might be a better term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The thing is, when you listen to the likes of Maiden, AC/DC, Ozzy, Marilyn Manson, Metallica etc they all are instantly identifiable. They each have their own niche that makes them unique. Whether its Ozzys vocals, Steve Harris's gallowping bass or Hetfields riffs, you'll know who your listening too even if you havent heard the song before. A mate gave me a CD featuring the current crop inc Avenged Sevenfold, Good Charlotte and My Chemical Romance. Whilst listening to it, I couldnt tell when one band finished and the next started. It all sounded the same. In fact, I commented that it sounded like a really bad album from one really bad band. Pure fabricated rock. The guys from Good Charlotte try to portray themselves as angst ridden then appear on MTV cribs showing off their mansions, cars and "rims". Pathetic. Its typical of the current american wave of pop/rock. I wouldnt be surprised if Simon Cowell had a hand in all this.Thats my take anyway, not saying its right or wrong but you did ask?!

Please dont group A7X in with MCR and Good Charlotte. MCR are the whiniest, bitchiest band in the world and Good Charlotte dont have a heavy note in their head.

Well i think i have my conclusion on why people dont like them. The majority of people who said they didnt like them said they didnt like them because its something superficial like image or attitude and others gave them one reference of listening to them and got a bad first impression and decided they just didnt like them. I'll admit some people said they listened to their whole album and thats fine because obviously not everybody can like them but i'm happy knowing that most that dont like them didnt gove them a proper chance. If anybody disagrees with my conclusion them read your initial comment saying why you dont like them and you will see where i'm coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Please dont group A7X in with MCR and Good Charlotte. MCR are the whiniest, bitchiest band in the world and Good Charlotte dont have a heavy note in their head.

Well i think i have my conclusion on why people dont like them. The majority of people who said they didnt like them said they didnt like them because its something superficial like image or attitude and others gave them one reference of listening to them and got a bad first impression and decided they just didnt like them. I'll admit some people said they listened to their whole album and thats fine because obviously not everybody can like them but i'm happy knowing that most that dont like them didnt gove them a proper chance. If anybody disagrees with my conclusion them read your initial comment saying why you dont like them and you will see where i'm coming from

Haha I love this post.

I gave them a proper chance,I have two of their albums,the only tracks I like are almost easy,critical acclaim and afterlife. That's 3 songs out of 22.
    I love the reasons you give for us not liking them,because we didn't give them a chance? Because of their looks? It's funny how all you could say about the drummer was "well he has a good style and I know that's more important" :rolleyes:
    "Style" as you put it,revolves around your personal opinion same as the bands looks/attitude.
    You really overrate their skill,sure the guitarist is decent but he's far from amazing,there was a video on youtube from one of their live shows (it was pro shot,I think it was off a DVD or something) where the guitarist had a solo which was shockingly bad. The worst part was that all the comments from fans were like "omg synyster gates is teh best guitarist in the world!!!",just proving that the problem is with the fans not the band.

Avenged Sevenfold are average,not bad,not amazing,but their fans all seem to think that they are the greatest musicians ever and can't get that out of their heads because the more mainstream-friendly bands like Avenged Sevenfold are the closest they will get to hearing talented musicians.

ah but saying that, your also saying that i have no idea what good musicians sound like but i do and what does it tell you if the fans think there amazing but people who dont give them a chance dont, most just hear one bad thing and judge them on that. And as for you, i didnt say everybody had the same reasons for not liking them. i did say some people just dislike there music which would be you but go back and read the first couple of responces to this thread and you will see what im talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Haha I love this post.

I gave them a proper chance,I have two of their albums,the only tracks I like are almost easy,critical acclaim and afterlife. That's 3 songs out of 22.
    I love the reasons you give for us not liking them,because we didn't give them a chance? Because of their looks? It's funny how all you could say about the drummer was "well he has a good style and I know that's more important" :rolleyes:
    "Style" as you put it,revolves around your personal opinion same as the bands looks/attitude.
    You really overrate their skill,sure the guitarist is decent but he's far from amazing,there was a video on youtube from one of their live shows (it was pro shot,I think it was off a DVD or something) where the guitarist had a solo which was shockingly bad. The worst part was that all the comments from fans were like "omg synyster gates is teh best guitarist in the world!!!",just proving that the problem is with the fans not the band.

Avenged Sevenfold are average,not bad,not amazing,but their fans all seem to think that they are the greatest musicians ever and can't get that out of their heads because the more mainstream-friendly bands like Avenged Sevenfold are the closest they will get to hearing talented musicians.
    Excellent post!

Advertisement