Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you hate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Glassheart wrote: »
    You are ineligible for being taken seriously.Good luck!

Because I have better musical taste than UCD Arts student types who think the Beatles are like...wow...like?

Orizio wrote: »
    The Beatles and OutKast... Shane I wish you a bloody, and excessively painful death. :p

Outkast 21st century are embarassing teeny pop cack. Seriously, listen to Prototype and tell me they are still good. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Davei141 wrote: »
    It's quite easy when your about 15

Actually just got into rock when i was around 20. Anyway I was being sarcastic I like to listen to most genres apart from dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

tech2 wrote: »
    Actually just got into rock when i was around 20. Anyway I was being sarcastic I like to listen to most genres apart from dance.

What the crap is 'dance'?

Kold wrote: »

Wiki:

Electronic dance music, also commonly abbreviated as EDM,[1] is electronic music that is produced primarily for the purposes of use within a nightclub setting or in an environment that is centered upon dance-based entertainment.

Basically a pile of garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

It's not really your thing: therefore it's shít and anyone who dares listen to it is a complete moron. Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

That cu*t daniel o feckin donnell and that pig of a wife

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

cautioner wrote: »
    It's not really your thing: therefore it's shít and anyone who dares listen to it is a complete moron. Am I right?

No I'm just questioning what fits under the moniker 'dance', surely you can dance to a lot of music. I mean is he talking R'n'B and house or all electronic music?
    Wiki:

Electronic dance music, also commonly abbreviated as EDM,[1] is electronic music that is produced primarily for the purposes of use within a nightclub setting or in an environment that is centered upon dance-based entertainment.

Basically a pile of garbage

So that includes dubstep and all forms of techno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

shane86 wrote: »
    Because I have better musical taste than UCD Arts student types who think the Beatles are like...wow...like?

I know exactly what you mean.Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I know exactly what you mean.Good point.

lol ok then. So Arts students have their won peculiar musical taste now? :D Sounds like people dislike the fans rather then the music.

If you dislike the Beatles thats fine, but there is little reason for people to turn into fascists about the whole thing. ;)

I'm sure his point is that 'dance' is a worthless tag, like 'urban' 'indie' and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

lol ok then. So Arts students have their won peculiar musical taste now? :D Sounds like people dislike the fans rather then the music.

If you dislike the Beatles thats fine, but there is little reason for people to turn into fascists about the whole thing. ;)

I was being sarcastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Quit avoiding my question about whether Prototype is embarrasingly bad :)

Really, it makes Soulja Boy look like a legend.

I was being sarcastic!

It wasn't very obvious in fairness.

Shane, I don't even remember what Prototype sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Always have hated dance music (repetitive monotone beat in your ear stuff)and rap - I'm sorry, there's nothing poetic to me about rap - EVER, it's rubbish, end of story.

And how many rap and 'dance' (whatever the **** that means) albums have you gotten through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Seeing as the Speakerboxx/Love Below album was a split collaboration between Big Boi & Andre 3000, they both chose seperate styles to go for. Andre went for a weird kinda lounge music vibe on his, "Prototype" was one of those tunes that was a real slow jam, just try listenin to it when you've had a few smokes - its perfectly chilled for such moments. I personally like Prototype and can't really see why you find it so embarassing?

Scooby, its easy to dismiss EDM because what you hear on the radio is the only real exposure anybody who in not a fan has to the genre. Its all watered down commercial ****e. Of course, if you are willing to give a deeper look and just appreciate the music for how it makes you feel rather than how it is produced, I guarantee you that you will find at least 1 tune that just makes you go "wow".

Always have hated dance music (repetitive monotone beat in your ear stuff)and rap - I'm sorry, there's nothing poetic to me about rap - EVER, it's rubbish, end of story.

I can understand why anyone might dislike rap based on what's heard on the radio. I'm not a major rap fan or anything but I just feel compelled to say that there are some real poets out there, somewhat more cerebral then 50 cent and the likes.
    I'm not trying to shove anything down your throat here, I just often feel oddly compelled to stick up for rap.
    Kold wrote:
    No I'm just questioning what fits under the moniker 'dance', surely you can dance to a lot of music. I mean is he talking R'n'B and house or all electronic music?
    My bad. The amount of dismissiveness on these boards tends to irritate me and when I finally say something about it I get it totally wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I know music is subjective and all but you like Slayer. Here's the lyrics of a Slayer song I pulled off the internet at random:

Thats terrible. That's the kind of rubbish a 13 year old satanist might write. Slayer are all fully grown men, probably old enough to be your Da and they're writing this fantastical bollox. Once again, I know it's your opinion and all but... your opinion is... wrong:eek:
    Most lyrics in those big metal bands are pathetic, they owe most of their fame to the fact that the typical metaler is fairly sheepish in nature,

look at Metallica - pure piss of a band, yet have such large fanbase

So that includes dubstep and all forms of techno?

I wouldnt be familiar with techno and dubstep so I wouldnt be inclined to say what I think of them. I was referring to more pop dance than anything else. Songs that you would hear out in niteclubs. (Hopefully someone can point out the genre I am referring to)

Also theres a lot of bashing going on here from some posters. People have a right to say what they like or dislike. Rock music might be for some people and mightnt be for other people thats life. If we all had the same taste life would be boring.

I wouldnt be familiar with techno and dubstep so I wouldnt be inclined to say what I think of them. I was referring to more pop dance than anything else. Songs that you would hear out in niteclubs. (Hopefully someone can point out the genre I am referring to)

Also theres a lot of bashing going on here from some posters. People have a right to say what they like or dislike. Rock music might be for some people and mightnt be for other people thats life. If we all had the same taste life would be boring.

Possibly electro, or generally mainstream manifestations of a few different genres. Thing is, basically every genre have a mainstream strand that is largely weak, and anyone could dance to pretty anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Even worse, she said she hated 'all rap artists'. I intensely dislike it when people dismiss whole genre's like that, especially when you just know that person has really listened to little or nothing of said genre. Its deeply irrational and ignorant.

To be entirely fair, one of the key things in Rap is, well, it's rapping isn't it? If someone doesn't like a particular style of vocal, then for someone to dismiss a genre with said vocal style as a unifying factor, it's hardly irrational or ignorant at all. Would it be irrational for someone who doesn't like Opera singing to say they don't like Opera? Hardly.

Its irrational depending upon how much 'rap' that person has listened to, and its certainly irrational to make generalizations about 'all rap artists'. I wouldn't complain as much if she said something along the lines of 'I have disliked every rapper I have listened to' and then asked if someone could suggest someone she may like. That suggests a genuinely open minded person.

Beyond that, I seriously doubt someone can just 'dislike' a vocal style, whether 'rap' or 'opera'. Much of its depends on your pre-concieved notions of these styles, of who you are listening to, of what kind of music you like, of your mood when listening, of your personality and so on. There are so many different qualifications to consider that saying you just dislike a whole vocal style seems rather simple and to me of dubious logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Its irrational depending upon how much 'rap' that person has listened to, and its certainly irrational to make generalizations about 'all rap artists'. I wouldn't complain as much if she said something along the lines of 'I have disliked every rapper I have listened to' and then asked if someone could suggest someone she may like. That suggests a genuinely open minded person.

Why would someone even be asking for recommendations on a thread like this? It's about music you hate. Do people really need do justify themselves to that degree, or to prove that they have a genuinely open mind before they can post something? Hell, I was the first one who pressed her on the issue, and posted the Blackaliscious video, but I can see where she's coming from and can accept her reply. You seem to be taking this awfully personal, and expect that someone who's disrespecting your preferred genre to have to justify or prove themselves.

You know something? I hate Irish Country. Have I heard every Irish Country artist out there? Nope, certainly can't say that I have, but I still hate it as a genre. I've no intention of asking for recommendations, or try and justify myself by saying "I hate Mike Denver and other Irish Country artists I've heard", and there's not a single aspect of that genre that would ever make me want to delve further into it.
    Beyond that, I seriously doubt someone can just 'dislike' a vocal style, whether 'rap' or 'opera'. Much of its depends on your pre-concieved notions of these styles, of who you are listening to, of what kind of music you like, of your mood when listening, of your personality and so on. There are so many different qualifications to consider that saying you just dislike a whole vocal style seems rather simple and to me of dubious logic.

Of course someone can dislike a vocal style. I'm a big fan of Death Metal, but there's a hell of a lot of people who just cannot listen to the Death Metal vocal style, I can understand and accept that perfectly, and I don't feel the need to scrutinize someone, press them if they've heard every Death Metal vocalist, or expect them to ask for recommendations before I could accept their opinion. That particular style doesn't appeal to them, or it puts them off the genre as a whole, that's fine. It doesn't make the person ignorant or irrational.

Dubious logic? What people's tastes depend on isn't in question, nor how it forms... You do understand, that by extension of that train of thought, it's 'dubious logic' to even say you hate something? This entire thread is therefor dubious by your standards because of how many different qualifications and circumstances there are in deciding whether you dislike a particular band or artist. Hell, music is not a rational thing, it's art, not a logical process, and there's no right or wrong answer in what appeals to someone and what doesn't. Either something strikes a chord with you, or it doesn't, or it strikes the wrong chord. So quite honestly, the only thing that's irrational is the application of logic in this situation. The only one being closed minded is you by refusing to accept someone else's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

All Dance, crap music that sounds like someone had a fit on a keyboard

But will sing anything on juke-box as long as their is drink in front of me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Possibly electro

Not likely. Maybe "electro house" stuff in the vein of Ed Banger Records releases like Justice.

More than likely cheesy trance music.

freyners wrote: »
    All Dance, crap music that sounds like someone had a fit on a keyboard

But will sing anything on juke-box as long as their is drink in front of me

*sigh*
    You haven't really been following this thread too closely have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

*sigh*
    You haven't really been following this thread too closely have you?

"Woteva, my music taste is like, SO much better than yours? Blink 182 like rock lol!"

(I'm 14 and in the school yard again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

And how many rap and 'dance' (whatever the **** that means) albums have you gotten through?

Uhmm does "Bad Boys Greatest Hits Volume 1" count? If so...1....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TelePaul wrote: »
    "Woteva, my music taste is like, SO much better than yours? Blink 182 like rock lol!"

(I'm 14 and in the school yard again.)

Blink 182's last album was very musically accomplished actually. Check out all of this featuring Robert Smith of The Cure by way of example.

Also, Tom Delonge went on to form Angels and Airwaves who are an excellent band and Travis Barker is certainly (at least of of) the best drummer(s) of the modern era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

keane2097 wrote: »
    Blink 182's last album was very musically accomplished actually. Check out all of this featuring Robert Smith of The Cure by way of example.

Also, Tom Delonge went on to form Angels and Airwaves who are an excellent band and Travis Barker is certainly (at least of of) the best drummer(s) of the modern era.

Id dont rate that band or drummer at all

Advertisement