Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What song converted you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 phoebe100

Stone Roses-I Wanna Be Adored,I think that coulda been the first for me,turned me into the outcast that I am today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was 9 or 10 when I heard Come As You Are by Nirvana. Really liked it, I totally missed the Smells Like Teen Spirit hype and I'm glad I got into them through their other songs. It wasn't until my cousin played me the album in a car on a trip to the Aran islands that I sat up and really took notice. Every song on Nevermind just blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Converted implies I was ever into anything else.

Thanks Dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭the hero game

hearing 'losing my religion' on the school bus radio.. before that i thought deacon blue was the height of music's possiblities.. (blushes)
    hearing MBV's 'sometimes' on dave fanning was a major event for me..
    kristin hersh's "hips & makers" album turned me onto all things acoustic, back in 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

For me I heard a song and tried to find out what it was.. I was looking for Ash - Burn Baby Burn but found Monkey Wrench by the Foos.. after becoming a fan and a trip to Slane to see them a few years ago I happed to see a band called Qotsa.. the rest as they say.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I was 15, back in 1985, when I heard "Bring on the Dancing Horses" by Echo and the Bunnymen. Soon followed by the Jesus and Mary Chain album Psychocandy. My U2 and Simple Minds albums got ditched after that...

Personally I always had kind of "alternative" music taste compared to most of my friends, but I do remember that "Sawdust and Diamonds" by Joanna Newsom and "Peacebone" by Animal Collective were pretty influential in me starting to deliberately stay awake listening to Donal Dineen :) I never would have had mainstream taste, but those two tracks made me take way more notice of music and start actively seeking out stuff I liked rather than just accepting what came along

that was the case for me too thanks to mr dineen with his tv show 'no disco'.. from then on i actively sought out new exciting stuff as best i could.. jesus i loved that show.. wasn't the same after he left it.. now of course it ain't on atall and poxy 'other voices' seems to be rte's only effort..
    dineen would repeatedly play people he was passionate about, american music club, the trash can sinatras, the go-betweens.. and have great acoustic sets with really quality irish bands like the harvest ministers and the revenants..
    and the audio-on feaure was great, featuring music he wanted to play but where there was no video so he'd play viewers' video submissions to back them, usu. grainy super 8 stuff..
    i still have video tapes at home of some of the shows.. i wrote to him soon after the show came out, saying i loved it, and he replied not only with a letter saying thanks and all but with a cassette copy of 'hope against hope' by NY rockers band of susans..
    we're talking nearly 20 years ago now.. is anyone here old enough to even know what i'm banging on about? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

that was the case for me too thanks to mr dineen with his tv show 'no disco'.. from then on i actively sought out new exciting stuff as best i could.. jesus i loved that show.. wasn't the same after he left it.. now of course it ain't on atall and poxy 'other voices' seems to be rte's only effort..
    dineen would repeatedly play people he was passionate about, american music club, the trash can sinatras, the go-betweens.. and have great acoustic sets with really quality irish bands like the harvest ministers and the revenants..
    and the audio-on feaure was great, featuring music he wanted to play but where there was no video so he'd play viewers' video submissions to back them, usu. grainy super 8 stuff..
    i still have video tapes at home of some of the shows.. i wrote to him soon after the show came out, saying i loved it, and he replied not only with a letter saying thanks and all but with a cassette copy of 'hope against hope' by NY rockers band of susans..
    we're talking nearly 20 years ago now.. is anyone here old enough to even know what i'm banging on about? :)

No Disco was great - it wasn't 20 years ago though. More like..... well...... 16 years ago. Jaysus!

It was tremendous stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Uncle Arthur

Live Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

I think I always liked things that wasn't really mainstream but the song I remember really taking note of was Girl Anachronism by The Dresden Dolls.. It totally transformed my taste in music and had the "wowza" effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

Well my dad always had good taste in music, so at the age of 8 i fell in love with Coldplay,(Parachutes in general) In sixth class when Las ketchup was the big hit (you know the spanish eejits that got the whole of the Irish under 16 population learning that silly dance) I was laughing at them all in disgust (of course I got back into the R and B for a while in secondary but I think I saw the light around half way through!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

It was Shadowplay/Transmission, by Joy Division that got me. We started playing them in my band, and i have never looked back since :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

REM - Its the End of the World as We Know it (And I Feel Fine)

Quality stuff.

It was Shadowplay/Transmission, by Joy Division that got me. We started playing them in my band, and i have never looked back since :)

what a way to start a love of music.. brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

cas91 wrote: »
    Well my dad always had good taste in music, so at the age of 8 i fell in love with Coldplay,(Parachutes in general)

are you for serious ? Reading through this thread I was just adding up how many bands that people cite were really Alternative and/or Indie and the number is pretty low (Oasis/Blur were never alternative, they were plastered all over the red tops in England for ages ffs!), but Coldplay? They are so non-alternative it's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

are you for serious ? Reading through this thread I was just adding up how many bands that people cite were really Alternative and/or Indie and the number is pretty low (Oasis/Blur were never alternative, they were plastered all over the red tops in England for ages ffs!), but Coldplay? They are so non-alternative it's ridiculous!

I enjoyed Parachutes a lot it had a 'band' quality that the later output didn't and would fall into the Alt/Ind thing to my mind.

Blur were on Food records which was a tiny office on Brewer St. London (guess how I remembered that?) with 4 people in it. Fairly Indie I'd say.
    That was also where Dave Balfe used run his management office.

Oasis were of course signed to Creation, which I think would generally be considered pretty Indie.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I enjoyed Parachutes a lot it had a 'band' quality that the later output didn't and would fall into the Alt/Ind thing to my mind.

Blur were on Food records which was a tiny office on Brewer St. London (guess how I remembered that?) with 4 people in it. Fairly Indie I'd say.
    That was also where Dave Balfe used run his management office.

Oasis were of course signed to Creation, which I think would generally be considered pretty Indie.

Kylie Minogue was once on Mushroom records. Does that make her indie?

Parachutes was an OK album, but it wasn't and should never be considered either Indie or alternative. I purposely didn't say eith Oasis or Blur weren't indie, I said they weren't alternative, which is, of course, a completely different thing :pac:. Those differences are for another day's discussion!

Kylie Minogue was once on Mushroom records. Does that make her indie?

Parachutes was an OK album, but it wasn't and should never be considered either Indie or alternative. I purposely didn't say eith Oasis or Blur weren't indie, I said they weren't alternative, which is, of course, a completely different thing :pac:. Those differences are for another day's discussion!

Mushroom was a TV company label if I remember rightly? Worse again!

I suppose as there's no agreed definition to either term one man's Indie is another man's Kylie ...

Mushroom was a TV company label if I remember rightly? Worse again!

I suppose as there's no agreed definition to either term one man's Indie is another man's Kylie ...

Mushroom Records

Indie/Alternative is a pretty far-reaching term these days. I would go as far as to say that there is no such thing as indie any more. There will always be alternative music, but that is just anything that is not mainstream...

Mushroom Records

Indie/Alternative is a pretty far-reaching term these days. I would go as far as to say that there is no such thing as indie any more. There will always be alternative music, but that is just anything that is not mainstream...

That's until the Alternative becomes Mainstream! I blame Nirvana ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Mexican Pets "Stigmata Errata" turned me on to the irish indie scene.
    My Bloody Valentine's "Sometimes" turned me onto the shoegazing scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

pixies -U Mass
    temple of the dog- hunger strike

thats a couple that really stick out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChestRockwell

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Despite that being cliche. Literally changed everything for me. The first song that sounded like something I was interested in and could really get my teeth into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

Alice in chains Dirt was the one for me. I know there is a lot of doom a gloom about music at the moment but for my money its never been better. The indie scene is at last getting its due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

Appetite for Destruction. Not at all "alternative" I suppose. My cousin brought it over with him from America in 1987 on a visit and I loved it immediately, (and still do) I kind of worked my way backwards through Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones and when they released the Spaghetti Incident I got into punk, like the Pistols, the Dammed The New York Dolls and so on...

Fast forward 7 years sitting at a student union stand selling tickets and the only two album we had the listen to the just newly released Definitely Maybe. The second lightbulb moment in my musical history. Through that album i got in to the Stone Roses branched out into Suede and so on. I listen to loads of different stuff now but the roots of what I would consider my favourite music are based on those two albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 favre90

Friend of mine lent me Hot Fuss by the Killers when I was around 13/14. That's what swung me for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 C>Lemon

I think it was 'Steady As She Goes' by the Raconteurs, if that counts.

After that, 'Dashboard' by Modest Mouse, that definitely counts. :D Still love Modest Mouse but never picked up anything by the Raconteurs...hmm...any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bassbomber

Dudess wrote: »
    Hmmm... toss-up between The Cure's Just Like Heaven and Pixies' Debaser.

Broke me away from Bros, Kylie, Jason and Sonia.
    ill have to agree with you there just like heaven did it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I was pretty lucky my mum had good taste and was big into music, was brought up listening to fleetwood mac, neil young, tracy chapman, bruce springsteen, the eagles, bob marley...

The first thing I heard of "my own" that really got me excited though was a tape of Nirvana's Nevermind someones brother brought home from america when I was about 7 or 8 I think. I was like :eek: we all were, huddled around the *ahem* ghetto blaster :P listening over and over.

I'm still a fan, was listening to the Bleach album on my way home from work tonight. I'll never get over my <3 for them I don't think :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

That's until the Alternative becomes Mainstream! I blame Nirvana ...

Once that happens its no longer the alternative.

Besides - these are just tags created by the music industry to better sell their product. Music is music and no tag can define it.

I personally have no idea what song in particular turned me on to music. Ive always been interested in it as far back as I can remember.

Advertisement