Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems my MyMeteor was accessed..

• 14-01-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Was sitting in the library in college and started to get a load of phone calls.
    Went outside and answered two, both had got a text from me asking me to call them..
    I hadnt sent any such texts, and the calls were still coming in.

Went back in, checked MyMeteor and loads of my web texts had gone (more than I'd sent this month).
    Changed my password immediately, and checked what personal details were there.

Rang Meteor, they were no help at all.. They 'dont keep any records' so could not tell me when the account was accessed, or who the messages were sent to.

I kept pressuring him, so he 'contacted the IT department' who told him they again 'they dont keep those sort of records' and that they couldnt do an IP trace cause it was illegal.
    I smelled a bit of BS, surely if they 'dont keep records' tehy have no IP to trace.. so there would be no illegality... but anyway..
    They were being very unhelpful.. didnt even recommend that I change my password.. just said there was nothing that could be done..

I cant think how my account was accessed... I only log in to it on my laptop or desktop.. Desktop is off and has a login to windows password, and a firefox master password.. so there was no accessing that.
    Laptop was with me..

Only other place I logged on was in college once last week. I logged off, and restarted.. so all cookies would have been deleted. And after a week any meteor log in would have timed out..

Anyone any ideas as to what could have happened?

This every happened to anyone before?

What information, if any, could I get from Meteor..
    Id love an IP so I could see where it was accessed from... ie if it was college or not..

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

There was no BS at all. It is a free service provided by Meteor and neither Customer Care, Meteor stores or the IT Support teams have any access to see where and when your account was last accessed.

The only likely way it could have been accessed is if you left a computer unattended after you had logged in or else if someone knows your password.

You should have been advised to change your password and if you havent done so already I would suggest you do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Changing my password was the first thing I did, see OP...

What I meant by the BS is that they were killed telling my that they kept no records and then went on to say that it would be illegal for them to trace the IPs that accessed my account.. If they have no records, they have no IP to trace... so legality doesnt come it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i know that it used to be possible to hack meteor accounts very easily simply by trying combinations 0000 to 9999 but you can't do that any more thanks to me :)

i wrote a program in about ten minutes that could hack meteor accounts and then said to a meteor employee that was posting here that i made it and told him to stop me. since then if you put the wrong password in wrong three times it forces you to do one of those captcha things

the only thing i can think of is you have key logging software on your computer or you left yourself logged in somewhere. what makes you think that a meteor login would time out after a week?

btw, you can and should set your meteor pin to something longer than four digits if you haven't already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Didnt know the password could be more than 4digits.. thanks.. ill change that..

Definately dont have any key logging software... very sure of that..

If you leave your metoer account logged in and come back to it some time later, it asks you to log in again. Therefore the login would def not be active a week after I used it on a public computer in college..
    Im certain I logged out tho, and I restarted the computer, and was logged in to my own profile on the computer (not that that makes things much more secure since browser settings are global but still)..

Its not the end of the world anyway.. main thing Im worried about is the amount of personal details that could have been accessed...

Advertisement