Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers, veg shop etc. in Dublin 15?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Can I get some recommendations for local butchers, veg shops, ethnic stores etc. in the D15 area? I'm sick of getting all my food from Dunnes, Superquinn etc. and would prefer to source locally if possible. Farmers markets might be useful too. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The butchers shop in Ongar is good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Justins in Blanchardstown village just down the road from Superquinn is alright. Haven't been there in awhile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Justins in Blanchardstown village just down the road from Superquinn is alright. Haven't been there in awhile though.

Yep he is good as well, there is also veg shop in laurel lodge shopping center

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Agree on the butcher in Ongar. Usually has a good choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I buy all my meat from Sweeney's in Laurel Lodge shopping centre.

Pleasant staff. Will do special orders. Have sharpened my chef knives a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Gleesons in the Blanch Center, go for the salmon-en-croute or the chicken-en-croute
    They do trays of ready to cook stir fry or meatballs etc all cheap enough.

Haven't tried their marinade sauces yet but they look nice.

Eurospar in Hartstown do specials on a Thursday in their butchers.

Farmers Market in Farmleigh most weekends. Check the Farmleigh website. Stuff is a bit pricey but its good quality and its a good day out too.

http://www.farmleigh.ie/

Ah Crud! Just noticed it says farmleigh is closed til March...thats cat.

I know these aren't local but there are Farmers markets most weekends in Marley Park, Dun Laoirghe (peoples park) and the Liffey Valley Shopping Center

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I've never found a better butchers than Gleeson's in Roselawn. Great for steaks and their maranades on any meats are always delicious.

We used to always go to Justins for veg but have been buying in tesco out of laziness for a good while. Justins do fantastic flowers at a reasonable price too. Very friendly in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Cathooo wrote: »
    I've never found a better butchers than Gleeson's in Roselawn. Great for steaks and their maranades on any meats are always delicious.

Have only used them once and got the worst piece of "roast beef" I've ever had the misfortune to buy. Hence my not going back even though it's a handy butchers to get to!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anyone know of a butchers in the area where I can get a full rack of pork ribs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Zaph, I'd say any of them would if you give them a bit of notice.

Grand so, I'll be up in the centre later in the week so I'll drop into Gleesons then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

If you've a car, then it might be worth your while heading to the butchers in Dunboyne - he's meant to be excellent. My sis buys all her meat there - very impressed with it. Really knows his cuts.

Was up in Gleesons earlier and ordered one so I'll see how good it is at the weekend. They only have bacon ribs or pork ribs already marinaded so you have to ask them in advance to keep out some plain pork ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Has anyone tried Branagan Meats in Rosemount Business Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oreilly21

daymobrew wrote: »
    I buy all my meat from Sweeney's in Laurel Lodge shopping centre.

Pleasant staff. Will do special orders. Have sharpened my chef knives a few times.

also there is a fruit and veg just beside it as well.

Advertisement