Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacement AMD processor socket 462/A

Options
  • 14-01-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I apologise if this isn't the right forum for this question but my questions always tend not to fit properly in any forum!

My granny's computer suddenly started acting up and wouldn't even turn on enough to load a screen. it's 6/7 years old at this stage so it's not really worth taking it for a professional repair. so, i got adventurous and opened it up! I tried some of the simpler things but eventually gave up and went for the processor. Unfortunately when removing the heatsink I broke a clip for holding it on. When I put back in the processor the computer actually loaded a screen but then died!

I think what could have happened is that because one of the clips on the heatsink is broken it wasn't cooling the processor enough and so that may have burnt out.

So, I now want an AMD processor (athlon xp or duron) to fit a socket 462 aka. Socket A and a heatsink that uses 6 clips to attach to the motherboard!! does anybody know where I might be able to get them in Ireland? ebay is my best hope so far but they're actually failry expensive and usually fairly low speed. The processor that's currently in it is an 1800 XP so I was hoping to stay in or around that speed. At this stage though it's not even fully about getting the computer back to my gran (we may just get her a new computer), I just want to fix it!!

For anybody that's interested the motherboard is a pcchips m810 series version 7.1 (from what i recall) and I live fairly near Limerick.

Please help! I'm sure there must be loads of old processors lying around that need loving homes!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭annieobrien8

i had a brief look using the search option and the only relevant thing that wasn't sold was a motherboard and processor but even if I was interested the guy doesn't post them and he's in Dublin!!

I don't know how it's gone so hard to get parts for oldish computers!

Advertisement