Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths.

Options
  • 14-01-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I am currently in fifth year and I study higher level maths. Much love do I have for said subject but alas, my academic achievements are in great deficit when it comes to testing.

On my christmas test I got 14% and I spent all week before the test indulged in studying. I have no idea what went wrong there. I am falling behind in several topics which are Algebra 2, Trigonometry 2 and Discrete Maths.

I study Applied Maths and Physics as well. I have notes from the institute covering the entire curriculum in immense, coherent detail. Grinds are not an option.

What I'm asking for is tips on how to maximise my knowledge of maths. I need higher level maths for the course which I want to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If its any consolation it gets easier in fifth year and the workload is less.The only advice I can give is to maybe get another textbook and do some extra work in that. Grinds really would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

If its any consolation it gets easier in fifth year and the workload is less.The only advice I can give is to maybe get another textbook and do some extra work in that. Grinds really would be the best option.
    I use Aidan Roantree's "Leaving Certificate Maths 1". What else would you recommend?

I also have a Less Stress More Success from last year for Paper 2.

Grinds would be the best option. But unfortunately, they are not an option. I have no way of paying for grinds.

The book we have "discovering maths 4" is quite good. I think the best thing to do is to ask yourself why you are struggling is it because you can't understand the stuff in the book,it can be heavy going at the best of times, or do you find the workload too much? What course do you want to do some do special maths entrance exams for those doing ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

The book we have "discovering maths 4" is quite good. I think the best thing to do is to ask yourself why you are struggling is it because you can't understand the stuff in the book,it can be heavy going at the best of times, or do you find the workload too much? What course do you want to do some do special maths entrance exams for those doing ordinary level.
    I understand what is in the book, I understand the method, but when said method is applied always confuses me. The workload does not bother me even though the class progresses quite fast.

The course I want to do when I leave school is Electronic Engineering. I'm not sure where at the moment.

You can do that maths test in NUIG. Did you talk to your maths teacher about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Ruski wrote: »
    I also have a Less Stress More Success from last year for Paper 2.
    personally i've found these a big pile of s*** but the revise wise have a much better and more detailed explanation imo

if your in fifth year (pre leaving cert) you shouldn't stress too much as long as it's not taking up time from your other subjects or your teacher tells you to gtfo then stick at it and you'l get your honour

and trust me towards the end (we finished the course just before christmas)it all comes together

also try and work out your exam options you don't need to know it all you will most likely need either discrete or trigonometry learned fairly well
    but you can weed out your weaknesses personally i wont touch probability with a 10ft pole
    from what i can see as long as you are decent at calculus and the circle you should manage an honour fine

Don't worry too much about one result in 5th year either half the class used to fail our 5th year exams too

I'd recommend using the internet as much as you could. Type in every word/topic that doesn't make sense. Try to gain an actual understanding of what you're really doing - it makes HL Maths a hell of a lot easier. YouTube, Wikipedia, and many, many more sites are your best friend; If you gain an actual understanding of the concepts behind the maths, then you'll probably get an A1. And don't stop at learning just what's on the Leaving Cert. course. Just say, you find website/video series that explains calculus very well, watch it all - if you understand more of the complex ideas behind the area, then it'll make what's on the LC course a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I will give you two perspectives on this (corrections welcome of course :))

If you want to goto college or want that special job that you would love - you may need to have an honors maths at the leaving, in which case you need to work your butt off to get a pass or an hons mark
    If you want to get 40 points from that subject in the leaving so you can go on and do something that is totally unrelated to maths (which you will never use) - then take the pass maths and get a good mark in it.

Advertisement