Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can deaf people "hear" themselves think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

deaf people don't know english...so how can they think in it!!!??!?!?

Yes they do, they read it and write it all the time I imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I wonder is sex good for deaf people or could it be considered rape ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I wonder is sex good for deaf people or could it be considered rape ?
    Ah jeeze ,they already have lost one sense ,dont take away the other few pleasures they have left ...givem some slack .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Is this like one of those Japanese Haiku's??? Like If a tree falls in a forrest and there is noone around to hear it, does it make a sound??

Is this like one of those Japanese Haiku's??? Like If a tree falls in a forrest and there is noone around to hear it, does it make a sound??
    What do you think ? I'm none the wiser .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

latchyco wrote: »
    What do you think ? I'm none the wiser .

There's no answer, but if you think long enough about the question it will actually clear your head of all other thoughts - FACT! (No really, fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DarkJager wrote: »
    There's no answer, but if you think long enough about the question it will actually clear your head of all other thoughts - FACT! (No really, fact)
    ooooooooooooo hes right:pac:

Intresting .Suppose it's like asking if dogs ( who have much much better hearing than humans ) can hear a leaf fall from a tree ?

David Carradine /Buddisim / silence springs to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Yeah I have 2 questions to add to the confusion:

a) do blind people dream?
    b) If you threw a flashbang into a room full of blind & deaf people, would it have any effect??

Theres the whole flash too...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Biggins wrote: »
    B) They feel the sudden change of air pressure alone exploding outwards from the device.

only thing is that changes in air pressure would be noticed by the ear drum... which in this case....
    though id say they would pick up on the vibrations alright through the ground.

i would say that they would be able to comprehend - when we think we do only use words in our mind to try to explain what we are thinking ? so lets say if you wanted to think about getting to work you would say well i would jump into my car and go out the gate, rather than just seeing yourself do it.

*ponders*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

falipo wrote: »
    Theres the whole flash too...:rolleyes:

Eh, they're blind???

Intresting for me in that although not deaf, I do suffer with tinnitus ,some days worse than others so appriciate silence when it's around .The problem for a lot of people ( including doctors and meidical people ) is deciding if the noise /ringing is coming from the ears or head area .

EDIT -know this is not a thread about tinnitus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A deaf person having a nightmare tries to warn another deaf person not to open the bag because it is a bomb but when they try to sign they suddenly realise they have no fingers.

RonMexico wrote: »
    A deaf person having a nightmare tries to warn another deaf person not to open the bag because it is a bomb but when they try to sign they suddenly realise they have no fingers.
    Did the bomb take their fingers? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

my mam and dad are deaf and to answer the OPs question yes the "hear" the thoughts in teir head the same as you or I "hear" those thoughts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i often wonder about blind people.what do they see in a sense-pitch black, bright white, random colours?? and if they dream, what do they dream.are they blind in their dreams or can they see things? im gettin into deep thought here!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

Where do blind people see themselves in a few years time????:confused:

gandhi123 wrote: »
    Where do blind people see themselves in a few years time????:confused:
    Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Darkness

Why would they be hanging with Eddie Murphy? :pac:

Would a blind man know if you made a pass at his girlfriend/ wife ?

Better still would he mind ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Would love to hear thoughts on this from some blind Boardsies. Hang on, I'll call them-

..:.::..::.:::::....:.:..

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

00112984 wrote: »
    Would love to hear thoughts on this from some blind Boardsies. Hang on, I'll call them-

..:.::..::.:::::....:.:..
    Just press shift 5 times to make your computer read for you. There could be a few blind boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

im deaf myself so in answer to your ques ,yes we hear ourselves 'think' in the language we learnt to read and write in ie english like many people who arent deaf do,unless english aint yer first language,not all deaf people use speech as their first language,they mainly use sign language which is made up of english words ,majority of young deaf people both speak and sign too.kinda an ignorant question ,were not braindead at the end of the day,only deaf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Did you fail poetry in English class by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

anplaya wrote: »
    im deaf myself so in answer to your ques ,yes we hear ourselves 'think' in the language we learnt to read and write in ie english like many people who arent deaf do,unless english aint yer first language,not all deaf people use speech as their first language,they mainly use sign language which is made up of english words ,majority of young deaf people both speak and sign too.kinda an ignorant question ,were not braindead at the end of the day,only deaf

That's a bit of an oxymoron. It would be more ignorant to be unsure and not ask surely. That he asked shows that the OP wanted to know for sure which is very unignorant (if such a word existed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

They sure play a mean pin-ball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

The first people on the earth wouldn't had a language as such, what would've been going on in their heads? Images and thoughts probably but not words. I suffer from bad migraines, sometimes my word understanding gets confused. Like when people speak to me i can't understand them, the odd word will be familiar but I won't know what it is. It's so weird. You mightn't think you think in words that much but when i'm like that I can't think, my mind is blank. Once I woke with one and I needed a tissue to blow my nose, I couldn't find the box of tissues, I could picture what I wanted but couldn't ask for it.
    I've often wondered how people who've been born blind picture things, like they wouldn't even be able to picture colours. We really are blessed to've been born with our full senses and we complain about such mundane things.
    I've just thought of another thing. I can remember lying in a pram or cot or something when I must've been really young. I was crying for my mother but I can remember not being able to talk, I knew what I wanted alright but wasn't thinking in my head 'where the f*ck is that woman who feeds me?' I can remember a smell of plaster, like in a new house. I was just a year old when we moved from my Granny's to our new home, I couldn't get up so I must've been really young. That's a mad early memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

its like saying deaf people cant think,otherwise how would we hear our thoughts when we think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I NEVER got this. It doesent clear my mind at all it just annoys me because YES IT DOES make a sound. Just because nobody heard it does not mean its not a sound. A sound is a sound wether someone hears it or not :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

anplaya wrote: »

I know this is AH, but a serious question for you nonetheless (I might be totally ignorant here ;-)) - what about foreign languages? Would the same concepts be expressed in sign language in say, English and German or Spanish? Therefore, would it be a lot easier to 'learn' a foreign language in sign language? Did someone at some point cop on and standardize sign language across all countries, to make it easier? (since everyone has to learn sign language as it is not 'automatically' acquired, it would be so much easier to teach one language for all deaf people everywhere, wouldn't it?)

Really curious about that...

Advertisement