Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can deaf people "hear" themselves think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

no not really different countries have their own form of sign language ie in ireland its isl(irish sign language) england its bsl(british sign language) and so on,also sign language kinda takes a sentence and it makes it shorter if ya understand what i mean with that?so youd lose out on words etc that ya would use if the word was spoken rather than signed,so its a different thing altogether,well i think that anyway what with having learnt spoken languages in school

though i believe there is an international sign language,but im not 100 per cent on that ,it takes commonly used words like im,you etc and makes it easier for deaf people to speak to each other if they met at an event which groups of different nationalities were at

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are there no deaf users on boards? I find it hard to believe that there are not.
    Surely (excuse the pun) We need to hear from some deaf people on the matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

anplaya wrote: »
    im deaf myself so in answer to your ques ,yes we hear ourselves 'think' in the language we learnt to read and write in ie english like many people who arent deaf do,unless english aint yer first language,not all deaf people use speech as their first language,they mainly use sign language which is made up of english words ,majority of young deaf people both speak and sign too.kinda an ignorant question ,were not braindead at the end of the day,only deaf

I don't think anyone is saying you're brain dead in fairness. It's just an interesting question. Can you for instance use your "mind's ear" so to speak to hear a simple tune or just two alternating tones? I can recall music and effectively "hear it" in my head. Can you do the same thing?

Same question goes for blind people. I can picture something in my mind and experience dreams visually with perfect clarity. Can blind from birth people do that?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im ore curious about deaf people who fart. Would they know how loud it is? No sneaky ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yeah I have 2 questions to add to the confusion:

a) do blind people dream?
    b) If you threw a flashbang into a room full of blind & deaf people, would it have any effect??

The deaf people are going to have very sore eyes and the blind peoples ears will be burning from the sound of the deaf people.

Why would you want to throw a flash bang at blind and deaf people anyway?

different levels of deafness and blindness from birth,id say depending on your level of deafness or blindness would impair your ability to do things such as you mentioned,but i know guys who are deaf from birth and they can speak just as well as the next person,so it all depends on your loss of hearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Samba wrote: »
    Why would you want to throw a flash bang at blind and deaf people anyway?

cause they're been held at gunpoint by terrorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

My auntie has been deaf from birth and can even sing happy birthday!!

She never ceases to amaze me with her many achievements- In the past two years,She has set up her own school for deaf children in the uk, gotten married, travelled the world, volunteered in Africa. Amazing lady, used to catch us rotten calling her names when we were young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I NEVER got this. It doesent clear my mind at all it just annoys me because YES IT DOES make a sound. Just because nobody heard it does not mean its not a sound. A sound is a sound wether someone hears it or not :confused::confused::confused:

But if there is nobody around to hear it fall, how can you actually confirm that it does make a sound ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

silly question

of course they can in the same way you could think before you learnt a language and the same way animals can think

A more fair question would be is what actually constitutes as thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

DarkJager wrote: »
    But if there is nobody around to hear it fall, how can you actually confirm that it does make a sound ? :)

leave a tape recorder. ask a bird that was around.

im sure by years of evidence its generally accepted that trees falling make sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I've often wondered this but if somebody was born deaf, and has never heard a sound or the english language then how can they hear thoughts in their head?

I suppose the same could be said for people who are blind.

I'm very interested to find out.

Any ideads are welcome, or better if somebody who is deaf could clarify this for me!

thanks a million
    SmSy

:)

Dunno tbh.
    If deaf from birth, i'd say "no, not hear in the literal sense".
    but it depends on the definition of "hear"ing oneself think i guess.
    At the risk of sounding vaguely patronising and stating the bleeding obvious, there's obviously still a comparably valid (if not more valid) cognitive equivalent to "hearing yourself think" going on in their brains.

Davidius wrote: »
    Wait, thinking in English? Do you never think without using words?

Sign language obviously informs a cognitive system that would be a visual one (rather than an auditory one) in their brains i would imagine.
    As i say, equally valid/intelligent (if not moreso, who knows- thought is internal, subjective afterall) as hearing people.
    That's an interesting aside:
    How does sign language fare as a language- is it richer, more "intelligent" in certain of its aspects than traditional "hearing-based" languages.

Vain wrote: »
    This topic is way too serious for after hours:D

Someone needs to post another "piss in the sink" thread quick. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Is this like one of those Japanese Haiku's??? Like If a tree falls in a forrest and there is noone around to hear it, does it make a sound??

Of course it does, sound is not based on somebody hearing it, it is a vibration. Physics doesnt just stop because you're not looking/listening. Plus, thats not a haiku.

MiniDazzler is
    Slowly being taught how to
    Write a real Haiku

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Do we not think with images too?

I mean if someone is born deaf they will still be able to read and still understand what things mean through images and so patterns of thought can be constructed that way.

Don't know if the above as already been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

TPD wrote: »
    Of course it does, sound is not based on somebody hearing it, it is a vibration. Physics doesnt just stop because you're not looking/listening. Plus, thats not a haiku.

MiniDazzler is
    Slowly being taught how to
    Write a real Haiku

To write a Haiku
    With seventeen syllables
    Is very diffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I've always wondered if the colours that I see are the same that everyone else sees?

Like grass is green but maybe you see green as blue and you just call it green! Theres no way to know! Woah!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

cautioner wrote: »
    To write a Haiku
    With seventeen syllables
    Is really quite hard.

All hail the Haiku King! Muhaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

can blind people get blind drunk?

No, just visibly drunk.

So if blind people dream...how can they be standing there with Batman having a conversation and seeing stuff...how would they know what people look like? Or do they just dream "thoughts" without the pictures? Pictures are the best part of dreams...

And also, if deaf people can't hear or learn the english language...when they think to themselves "god I must go to the shops later" .. do they just picture a couple of hands telling them in their mind as they don't have any other language capabilitys...or do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Conor108 wrote: »
    I've always wondered if the colours that I see are the same that everyone else sees?

Like grass is green but maybe you see green as blue and you just call it green! Theres no way to know! Woah!:D:D

I always think this aswell. Like maybe what some others are seeing is absolutely madness as regard colour like their sky is "my" green and their grass is "my" red. There is no way to prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I always think this aswell. Like maybe what some others are seeing is absolutely madness as regard colour like their sky is "my" green and their grass is "my" red. There is no way to prove it

Me too. :o

OR... the situation where what you perceive say as blue is actually heard as a certain tone instead.
    Eh then again maybe not- there'd definitely be some funny behavioural changes before you got to that stage. :)
    Although with a precise enough visuo-auditory mapping going on, behaviour might actually be quasi-normal.

Interesting principle nonetheless- as to how far perception can be altered before funny behaviour starts to show up.
    Not sure what the above scenario might be called tbh- Synaesthesia seems to refer to ADDITIONAL sensory modalities on top of the primary one.
    The above scenario though would be actual conversion of one modality to another- "transaesthesia" maybe :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is this like one of those Japanese Haiku's??? Like If a tree falls in a forrest and there is noone around to hear it, does it make a sound??

Do you know what a haiku is?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's called existentialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I always wondered this too kinda.
    My question was always since we think in english, what does someone both deaf & dumb think in.....

Well their not blind, so whatever language they learned to read in?

[Jackass] wrote: »
    No, just visibly drunk.

So if blind people dream...how can they be standing there with Batman having a conversation and seeing stuff...how would they know what people look like? Or do they just dream "thoughts" without the pictures? Pictures are the best part of dreams...

And also, if deaf people can't hear or learn the english language...when they think to themselves "god I must go to the shops later" .. do they just picture a couple of hands telling them in their mind as they don't have any other language capabilitys...or do they?

sure im replying to ya in english,which implies that i have 'learnt the language'not with my hands flying wildly around on the screen ,some of the stuff yed b comin up with is laughable at the most,have any of ye actually met or spoken to any blind or deaf people at all?or are ye just makin up this crap as ye go along?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

wow u people are really stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

anplaya wrote: »
    sure im replying to ya in english,which implies that i have 'learnt the language'

But when you think do you think in images of english text or maybe pictures, signs or "inner sounds"?:confused: I mean when I think my brain doesn't probably think in words exactly but I interpret or give meaning to my thoughts mostly in "sounds" and some images. My subconscious is like an inner voice. I don't think anyone is implying that deaf people cannot think, its just interesting to think about how they "interface" with their thoughts differently to hearing people.

Advertisement