Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

spare wheel

Options
  • 14-01-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i have 17 inch wheels on my car but i have no spare wheel. if i had a blow out and had to change the wheel to a 16 inch would it do until i went to the garage? would it damage my car in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

most spares are space savers and are not the exact size of the original wheel. it will be fine to drive to a garage. generally dont go over 50mph as the handling will be slightly off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

jjunkhead wrote: »
    i have 17 inch wheels on my car but i have no spare wheel. if i had a blow out and had to change the wheel to a 16 inch would it do until i went to the garage? would it damage my car in any way?

A 16inch will be ok,but try it on the car first and make sure it fits/suites,try on front and rear.
    Let the jack down (with the spare on of course)and chack that you have clearence all around,specially if it isnt of the same model car,and give the steering full lock both ways when checkilng the clearence on the front............it wont do any harm to get you sorted short time,but dont forget its on as the car will handle differently with it on,take it handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jjunkhead wrote: »

Here's a tyre calculator application on a web page Linky

You can enter the values on your spare tyre and 17" tyres and compare sizes.
    ( the tyres will have those values on it )

I compared the standard 15" tyres of a Celica against the 17" low profile alloys I have, and there was just a 3.1% size difference. Not problem to get to a puncture repair shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Odds are your spare has a higher profile tyre, so the diameter of the wheel+tyre will probably very close to the fitted wheels.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement