Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor event

• 14-01-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I know there was a recent thread on here about taking indoor shots, but it tailed off into the posters meeting up assist the OP without any advise i could use.
    Anyways, i'm taking my niece (honest) to High School Musical on ice in the Odyssey in belfast this weekend and any wondering if anybody has any advise for me?
    I've got the 18-55mm canon kit lens and a canon 55-250mm IS lens, but as i dunno where will be sitting, i'll be taken both with me. Guessing the 55-250mm for anything resembling a close up. I know the flash will we useless due to probable distances involved, but under the bright lights and bright white ice, what settlings should i be looking at?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

If the lighting conditions are very difficult, here's a suggestion. Switch the camera to full auto, take a shot or two, just to see the settings that the camera automatically applies to the scene. This may give you a base line to work from when you switch to one of the more creative modes.

Hope this helps

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

I know there was a recent thread on here about taking indoor shots, but it tailed off into the posters meeting up assist the OP without any advise i could use.
    Anyways, i'm taking my niece (honest) to High School Musical on ice in the Odyssey in belfast this weekend and any wondering if anybody has any advise for me?
    I've got the 18-55mm canon kit lens and a canon 55-250mm IS lens, but as i dunno where will be sitting, i'll be taken both with me. Guessing the 55-250mm for anything resembling a close up. I know the flash will we useless due to probable distances involved, but under the bright lights and bright white ice, what settlings should i be looking at?
    Cheers

The Odyssey are generally quite strict on photography in the arena and security normally act very quickly. Use of flash would be a giveaway

dSLR's in particular attract their attention and flash photography even with point and shoot cameras frowned upon.

Disney too I think prohibit photographing the performance as a safety precaution for the skaters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best way to get indoor pics in a dark area: (In my opinion)

Theres loads to consider when doing this - lighting available, distance to subject, are you allowed to use flash, lenses etc etc.

my advice would be to do test shots when the performance starts and adjust the settings to try get the correct exposure.

I dont know how experienced you are with your equipment - its most likely that you will have to spot meter on the subject (due to overexposure from lights reflecting on ice)...but cant say for definate - only you can decide on the night.

I would guess that the lighting would probably be pretty good so just get as close as possible to the rink and zoom as close as possible, due to the movement I would suggest using shutter speeds of 1/160 or 1/200 and ISO 400 - maybe bring the ISO up to 800 if images are a bit dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

soccerc wrote: »
    The Odyssey are generally quite strict on photography in the arena and security normally act very quickly. Use of flash would be a giveaway

dSLR's in particular attract their attention and flash photography even with point and shoot cameras frowned upon.

Disney too I think prohibit photographing the performance as a safety precaution for the skaters

Didn't know that - need to do a bit of investigation before i risk getting the camera taken off me
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    best way to get indoor pics in a dark area: (In my opinion)

Theres loads to consider when doing this - lighting available, distance to subject, are you allowed to use flash, lenses etc etc.

my advice would be to do test shots when the performance starts and adjust the settings to try get the correct exposure.

I dont know how experienced you are with your equipment - its most likely that you will have to spot meter on the subject (due to overexposure from lights reflecting on ice)...but cant say for definate - only you can decide on the night.

I would guess that the lighting would probably be pretty good so just get as close as possible to the rink and zoom as close as possible, due to the movement I would suggest using shutter speeds of 1/160 or 1/200 and ISO 400 - maybe bring the ISO up to 800 if images are a bit dark.
    Thanks for that, really helpful advise. I have a Canon 1000d btw and only just getting the grips of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This shot is from the Oddessey, 1/500th @ f2.8 100mm ISO 1000. Spot metered too. Might be something to start off with

E60B362F693E4D9EB7AAA67BE4A2A5CC-800.jpg

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    This shot is from the Oddessey, 1/500th @ f2.8 100mm ISO 1000. Spot metered too. Might be something to start off with
    Thank for that - very helpful.
    In the mean time i just rang the Odyssey and the woman at the other end said you can bring your camera in providing its not a professional camera :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thank for that - very helpful.
    In the mean time i just rang the Odyssey and the woman at the other end said you can bring your camera in providing its not a professional camera :)

Many people will presume if you use a slr, you are professional..... Be careful dont get yer nice canon confiscated :-)

landyman wrote: »
    Many people will presume if you use a slr, you are professional..... Be careful dont get yer nice canon confiscated :-)
    But if they watch me for even a spilt second bumbling about with different setting obviously know knowing what i'm at, i should be grand......right?

Security in that particular venue are quite strict even when I was working there!! :(

Security in that particular venue are quite strict even when I was working there!! :(

So......are you saying i should leave the camera behind?

• Advertisement

What I am saying is that even with a press pass I had hassle off security while I was doing my job, so perhaps yeah leave it behind.. I think they consider anything black and big a pro camera too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

What I am saying is that even with a press pass I had hassle off security while I was doing my job, so perhaps yeah leave it behind.. I think they consider anything black and big a pro camera too.

...and there's a particular jack booted female, very easy to spot in her almost paramilitary attire complete with baton in the knee pocket, who is possibly the most obnoxious person I've ever had to encounter and that includes dealing with a mossad agent

Well I decided to try taking my camera in end up and to be honest i had absolutely no problems. I must admit i carried the camera body in around my neck under my extra large hoodie with my hands in front pockets in attempt to hide it, but there was really no need!

I had a bit of a play about with the setttings before setting the ISO to 1600. This made a big difference and the noise ain't too bad - i'm ok with it.

Here are just two of the pics. My niece loved it, thats all that matters:D

3207834382_80acf48e90.jpg
    larger

3206986107_7649962bfc.jpg
    [url][/url]larger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

They came out far better than I expected.

They came out far better than I expected.

Thanks. If I'm honest, the majority of them came out a lot better than I expected also!

Advertisement