Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holdem or Omaha?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Ive been playing Omaha for about two weeks now and have been messing around in .50/1 up to 5/10 with the likes of Josh Arieh and R Williamson III. Whenever I play holdem now Im finding it quite tedious tbh. Theres just so much more excitement in Omaha.

So my question is to those who have played Omaha before but mainly play Holdem or vice versa why is it you prefer the game you play. Holdem seems to be much more popular - is it just because most people havent tried omaha? Looking forward to seeing responses when I come home drunk in 10 hours!

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Holdem is more popular because it requires less thinking, thereby making it idiot friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

I think I only started to realise this when I got past say 5 hours of Omaha and realised this game isnt a luckfest its actually a really good game. Been enjoying it alot and havent been able to look at holdem the same since to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

stacking clueless americans in omaha is a great laugh and everyone should try it

holdem does get tedious afterwards i find myself..nearly prefer tournaments sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SIDESHOW BOBs

omaha is the crack cocaine of poker , you will experience tremendous highs but be afraid , be very afraid when you encounter floplagitus and crappy 2 pair syndrome then and only then will you truly understand variance and brutal poker despair:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Been playing omaha almost exclusively for the last 7 months or so. Still totally useless at it, but I find it much less tilt inducing, as your rarely that far ahead/behind.
    I reckon if you really knew what you were doing it would be no more exciting than holdem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

IMO its the next step after Holdem and the long and winding road to total degeneracy - but thats just me i couldnt hit the side of a house never mind a 13 outer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cannot remember the last time i played nlhe cash online, plo is the new game and much more enjoyable to play. NLHE has got boring for me (apart from tourneys) and although the swings are greater in PLO so are the chances of winning copious ammounts of $$$ imo.

NLHE has almost got robotic for me with all the poker aids out there meaning its harder to find an edge in the game whilst PLO is still on the up with plenty of value out there as players adjust and learn the game

Advertisement