Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get stands, umbrellas etc.

• 14-01-2009 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Howdy

I have two flashes, a large Vivitar and a 580EX. What I want to do is buy two stands for them so that I can attach the flash and an umbrella to each. I also want to buy two translucent/shoot through and two silver reflective umbrellas.

Anyone have any idea where I can get this stuff and approx how much or is my best bet buying each thing individually from ebay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I got my stuff from Calumet in belfast. They've got umbrellas that are shoot through, but have a cover to make them reflective... course I got mine as part of a light kit, but i'd suggest calumet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Try Paddy at www.barkerphotographic.ie, easy to deal with and delivered to your door.
    If there's something you need that's not on his site just e-mail him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I had a couple of bits from Barkers, good selection and good prices.

Stands I got from the UK (name escapes me) and brollies from the USA (B&H)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Saw a cheap kit in Jessops in the U.K was 199.99 with the lights too,and two stands umbrellas etc,there was only one there so could of been the last one?Might be worth a look as i'm sure someone would buy the lights if you didn't need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think ebay, i got 2 strobes myself ages ago, then my camera got robbed.
    I think if you go for cactus' www.gadgetinfinity.com to trigger your strobes wirelessly then order the umbrellas from there, the shipping is reasonable, then hit ebay for the stands and a softbox, thats what i plan on doing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I have the cactus triggers already. I was hoping for a cheap as chips stand and brollies as I already have the lights and trigger but there doesn't seem to be anything for less than €200 for what I want. I mean €60+ for an umbrella is kinda taking the piss in my opinion.

well i came across 35-40'' umbrellas from UK sellers on ebay for around 30e !
    i might order everything today so il post links.

Good man. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

Hi Placebo,

just wondering did you place your order? I am looking to get some stands and umbrellas too in the near future would be interested to see which ones you got and where you decided to buy from

thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I got mine from Speed Graphic in the UK, two stands, two adjustable adaptors for hotshoe flashes, carry bags and umbrellas, think it was around the €200 mark.

• Advertisement

didnt get a chance yet, i enquired baker though:

Hi
    Thanks for the enquiry.
    Stands start at €50 each, White Umbrellas (Elinchrom 85cm) €69.26, but a pair of Elinchrom 83cm Umbrellas (One Translucent and one Silver are only €59 for the pair. We also do a Silver / White reversible 32" for €30.07. You may also need Tilt / Brolly brackets to hold the flash / Brolly and allow Bounce movement, these are called: SHOE MOUNT MULTI CLAMP and are €30.63 each. All Prices INCLUDE VAT.
    We also stock Slave triggers and Hotshoe adaptors if required.

Regards,
    Paddy Barker
    Barker Photographic Ltd.
    Unit 18, South Link Park, Frankfield, Cork, Ireland.
    Tel: 00-353-21-4319766 Fax: 00-353-21-4319877
    e-mail: info@barkerphotographic.ie Web: www.barkerphotographic.ie

Thanks for that info,

i'll look into that further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

only today I bought this 34 inches umbrella for $9.98 inc delivery (some 7 euro and some cents)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170292792660

also, got one of this umbrella holder for a camera tripod (cos I don't have light stands and because an old flash I have that isn't hotshoe)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360091424682

I'll let you know the quality of them after, but as you said, somebody asking €70 for an umbrella seems not right

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Is anyone using the Manfrotto 001B NANO STAND (the one recommended and much lauded by strobist)? If so what type of shoe mount multi clip works with them do you know? (I'm assuming btw that these need to be purchased separately)

Using a 580EXII.

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Manfrotto 001 is a really clever stand and ideal for shoe mount flash units. To hold a brolly / bounce the flash you need a seperate tilt / brolly bracket. Different options are available from PhotoFlex / Manfrotto / Lastolite.

The Manfrotto 001 is a really clever stand and ideal for shoe mount flash units. To hold a brolly / bounce the flash you need a seperate tilt / brolly bracket. Different options are available from PhotoFlex / Manfrotto / Lastolite.

That's just my problem. There are too many options. I'mm looking for the most versatile for the least money. Something that will allow me to mount my flash on a hotshoe and shoot through an umbrella. I'm new to off camera lighting so I'm looking for a reasonably cheap and efficient way to dip my toe in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

watch this video

it will show you all the stuff you need to look at when setting up a basic flash kit

http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAD7leNOVY&hl=en&fs=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

YeahOK wrote: »
    That's just my problem. There are too many options. I'mm looking for the most versatile for the least money. Something that will allow me to mount my flash on a hotshoe and shoot through an umbrella. I'm new to off camera lighting so I'm looking for a reasonably cheap and efficient way to dip my toe in it.

Here's another great source of information for off camera lighting with a flash

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

right, this is what i ordered

DICUMBSWI Umbrella swivel for Studio Photography (Adjustable hot shoe mount) $12.95 2 $25.90
    DICFLAWFTE 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s $32.95 1 $32.95
    DICFLAWFRE 4-Channel Wireless Flash Receiver V2s $19.95 1 $19.95
    DICUMBSB Studio Umbrella in Silver Black $9.95 1 $9.95
    DICUMBW Studio Umbrella in White $9.95 1 $9.95
    DICLSTA Light stand for Studio Light / Flash (Max. 199cm) $19.95 2 $39.90

Subtotal: $138.60
    Deliver: $50usd

in total: 150 euros.

gadgetinfinity.com
    didnt realise they were in hongkong, delivery - 15 days :/

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »

DICUMBSWI Umbrella swivel for Studio Photography (Adjustable hot shoe mount) $12.95 2 $25.90
    DICFLAWFTE 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s $32.95 1 $32.95
    DICFLAWFRE 4-Channel Wireless Flash Receiver V2s $19.95 1 $19.95
    DICUMBSB Studio Umbrella in Silver Black $9.95 1 $9.95
    DICUMBW Studio Umbrella in White $9.95 1 $9.95
    DICLSTA Light stand for Studio Light / Flash (Max. 199cm) $19.95 2 $39.90

Subtotal: $138.60
    Deliver: $50usd

gadgetinfinity.com
    didnt realise they were in hongkong, delivery - 15 days :/

That's great info, thanks.

i got the wireless triggers/receivers, have to look at getting the the umbrella's, stands etc.

Thanks again,

bradnailer wrote: »
    Here's another great source of information for off camera lighting with a flash

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Tks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

gadgetinfinity.com

I bought a lighting kit on ebay for ~160EUR, which contains 2x 150W flash heads, 2 stands, 1 softbox, 3 umbrellas, flash trigger & receiver. So I think it's quite expensive what you've got.

why do you have trigger and receivers for flash heads?
    i think price escalated for me due to the cactus trigger, which is supposed to be the best within the cheapo range, and the umbrella swivel.

why do you have trigger and receivers for flash heads?
    What do you mean?
    Trigger on camera, receiver on the flash head - no cables needed.

isnt this like a lamp/bulb = 150W flash heads ? i.e not a strobe?

It has 50W continuous light and flash light built in.

sasar wrote: »
    I bought a lighting kit on ebay for ~160EUR, which contains 2x 150W flash heads, 2 stands, 1 softbox, 3 umbrellas, flash trigger & receiver. So I think it's quite expensive what you've got.

Have you a link to this? I want to buy a light kit also and this sounds like my kind of cheap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

quilmore wrote: »
    you'd do better on ebay i'd say. I got a couple of sets last year that had a stand, umbrella, bag and flash/umbrella holder for about 20 quid each incl. postage

you'd do better on ebay i'd say. I got a couple of sets last year that had a stand, umbrella, bag and flash/umbrella holder for about 20 quid each incl. postage

good, thanks
    can you please dig for the seller's name?

quilmore wrote: »
    good, thanks
    can you please dig for the seller's name?

will do the next time i'm at a pc!

HI,

Just spent some time looking at my EBay buying history and I cann't find where I bought these sets. Most of the shops I've bought from are now either gone from ebay or have empty shops, it must have been one of those...

Sorry bout that!

Advertisement