Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting Mountboard

• 14-01-2009 8:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Howdy

I want to try cutting my own mountboard for some 10x8's. I have the mountboard and a logan 1500 cutter. How do I cut it exactly so it's straight? Anyone have any links or tutorials on how to do this properly?

I was trying to buy a T Square so I would have at least 90 degreee angles but all the t squares have a bevelled edge to the top part where the mountboard slides in. Anyone have any ideas on where I can get a t square where both pieces of it are flat and not bevelled?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't use a T Square. I have a Mechanical Pencil, Matt Cutter & Metal Ruler.

Measure your Matt & check it's rectangular. Opposite sides the same length & the diagonals are equal.

Measure the size of the aperture you want & the orientation (Portrait Landscape)

On the horizontal subtract the opening length from the matt length & divide by 2. on the back of the Matt mark a line this far in from the edge with a mechanical pencil.

Work out where you want the print on the vertical. I ussually have mine about 10% closer to the top. Mark two more lines on the back to correspond with the Aperture size.

Place a scrap card under the Matt & set the blade slightly deeper than the Matt. Pierce one of the lines slightly outside one of the corners. Then bring in the Rule & set it parrallel to the line. Cut that line to just beyond the next corner. Repeat this for the other three sides. The centre should drop out leaving a nice bevelled matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

Try
    O Sullivians http://www.osullivangraphics.com/ or
    JD Hacketts http://www.jdh.ie/content/Home.aspx

The timber T Squares (as opposed to perspex) have a beveled edge but enough of a lip to hold the cutter against the straight edge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It is nearly impossible to cut this stuff properly with the tools I have. Last nights attempt was pitiful.

So, I decided to have a look online to see where I can find pre cut stuff for sale and I was directed towards Cork Art Supplies who have it. I was looking for an 8x10 window mount and it was €4.30 for what I presumed was a pack of 10 or something.

Turns out it's EACH. As in a pack of ONE. Is it made of gold or something??? Dear lord please tell me that people aren't actually paying these prices? Turns out that the actual window cut is a 5x7 anyway and not a 10x8 as shown and to get a 10x8 window is actually €5.05 on a 14x11 mount but thats another story.

Surely be to god there is somewhere that sells this stuff, not made out of gold but some kind of cardboard, where I can buy a 10x8 window mount at a reasonable price? Like €10 for a pack of ten or something???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

tried it with a handheld cutter. Used up alot of board and even more patience. Kicked the handheld cutter to the kerb and bought a logan cutter on ebay with a pair of cutters that hook onto and slide along a metal edge. MUCH easier.

In fact.. this is the one that I have - http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/compact.shtml

If you're going to cut your own mounts (as I do all the time now since I got that thing) it's a worthwhile investment.

I don't intend to drive myself demented trying to cut it so it's the pre-cut route for me from here on.

Providing I can find someone that sells them for a half decent price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

like everything else, getting the right tools will stop much of the tearing hair out. Go pre-cut if you're going to be doing the odd one or two.. But if you're going to be needing mounts on an ongoing basis, it makes more sense (especially financially) to get the kit and learn the process.

You can pick mountboard up from any art supply shop. Getting pre-cut mounts at the rights size and right colour could be a far more intensive search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

8x10 mounts are €0.89 + 15% VAT from http://www.shop.framingfantastic.co.uk/

They offer a discount for bulk orders.

DarrenG wrote: »
    8x10 mounts are €0.89 + 15% VAT from http://www.shop.framingfantastic.co.uk/

They offer a discount for bulk orders.

You're a legend!! No VAT either ;)

€5.05 for ONE in Cork. I ask you.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I assumed you had the Matt Cutter. ..... Sorry

They are a really good investment if you are going to cut mounts regularly. They are also required if you want sizes other than standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

At met this guy at the exhibition who offered his mountboard cutting services free of charge. Haven't used it though, so not sure about the quality.
    Mirek 087-7578408

• Advertisement
Advertisement