Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Art as a mature student?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone done this course, how much work is involved.
    I'm a mum to four children ,I'll have to commute everyday, 1hr train journey.
    Has anyone managed to get in and do this as a mature student. Ive no leaving cert, am almost 40. There are no course in art history in my area. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Art history itself doesn't worry me as I'm a bit of a nerd in so far as I actually read up on art history books, the way some people would read novels.
    I know ive to do 3 other subjects in the 1st yr, but the only ones i'm interested in would be, English, History itself, and Celtic Civilisation. Would this be impossible to do, as it would be all reading?.
    I'd love to hear all opinions on this please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Given your circumatances you should really consider the OU, as Art History is an area it offers as part of the Humanities degree.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/arts-and-humanities/history-of-art/index.htm

At the last budget the government introduced a higher Student Registration fee for full-time students, at approx €1400 this is nearly the cost of an OU 60 credit module - with the OU you get all your materials and there are no reg or exam fees. In your situation your learning is delivered to your door and the 14 hours of study required for your typical 60 credit course requires no hours commuting - you decide when to study and fit it into your schedule.

Tax relief for fees are available for RoI students. Check out the website and give the Dublin office a call, but really with 4 kids it has to be an option.

Advertisement