Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Omnibus Help

Options
  • 14-01-2009 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone,

I am a soon-to-be Arts student in UCD. I was offered a place in 2007 after I finished my leaving, but I was only 15 years old so I deferred for the last two years. Anyway, I'm not studying anything or in college at the moment and I'd like to make a start on readin up on some stuff that would help me with me course next year.

I am hopin to take up definitely english and philosophy and then either archaeology (which i have studied already) or sociology. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out by tellin me what they think of the course, what the work load is like, and maybe list a few things I could start reading which are relevant to any of the modules in the course.

If anyone could give me an idea of what the assignments, essay topics and assessments are like I would also appreciate it bigtime. Am bored out of my mind lol

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Sorry, but how were you 15 when finishing your leaving? you went into Secondary School when you were 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 duffster808

Jammyc wrote: »
    Sorry, but how were you 15 when finishing your leaving? you went into Secondary School when you were 10?

Sorry, meant to say was 16 :$ typo. was 11 wen i started school. i started primary when i was 4. they moved me from high infants to second class cause i was a good bit ahead of the rest of my class. was a very small school in the countryside, cause of all that i started secondary really young, and skipped forth year aswell cause they dont have it in my secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I didn't do philosophy in UCD but I have taken this from the UCD website.

'Introduction to Greek Philosophy (PHIL10070).......course will explore the thought of the early Greek philosophers, whose importance is still central to philosophy today. In part one, emphasis will be on the classic figures of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.......we will read some of the Dialogues of Plato.'

I don't know which of Plato's dialogues you will be doing but I would be extremely surprised if you don't do 'Republic'. You can access the full script on www.sparknotes.com along with other philosophy classics which will stand you in good stead even if they are not directly on a course. In any assignment you can pull a few quotes from outside the course and this can only impress your tutor/lecturer...if impressment is your business....get swotting...we don't take to slackers here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 duffster808

pathway33 wrote: »
    I didn't do philosophy in UCD but I have taken this from the UCD website.

'Introduction to Greek Philosophy (PHIL10070).......course will explore the thought of the early Greek philosophers, whose importance is still central to philosophy today. In part one, emphasis will be on the classic figures of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.......we will read some of the Dialogues of Plato.'

I don't know which of Plato's dialogues you will be doing but I would be extremely surprised if you don't do 'Republic'. You can access the full script on www.sparknotes.com along with other philosophy classics which will stand you in good stead even if they are not directly on a course. In any assignment you can pull a few quotes from outside the course and this can only impress your tutor/lecturer...if impressment is your business....get swotting...we don't take to slackers here :D

cheers. Thanks a million for that mate

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'm in first year, and I'm doing Archaeology. I love it (it was the main subject I wanted to study). As far as I can see, the workload's no more than most other subjects. For one of the modules ("out of the distant past"), you have to do two essays during term, and the exam is an hour, partly mcq. The other semester 1 module (Exploring Archaeology), incorporates a Tara field trip and a museum trip, and you've to write these up into a workbook. Not quite as easy as it sounds, but perfectly manageable. Exam's an mcq.
    "Archaeology: Theories, methods and practices" by Renfrew and Bahn is a pretty good all round introduction, and " The Human Past", by Chris Scarre is a good (although huge) book. They're the two main texts for semester one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement