Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Studies & Arts Management

Options
  • 14-01-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Im thinking about putting it down on my CAO but I cant find anyone to really tell me anything about it =/

Anyone here do it??
    Is it a good course?
    Enjoyable?

I want to do something like Event Management and told this is a way of getting into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, wondering does anyone do this course??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hi, I'm in second year of this course.
    I thoroughly enjoy it and was so looking forward to start back last month!
    The course is ARTS management and is very heavy on the arts, especially visual art and theatre in the first two years. It is also gravitated towards non-profit business. I would advise that anyone taking on the course have at least some interest in the world of the arts, especially arts in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

What exactly does 'Arts Management' entail?

stesh wrote: »
    What exactly does 'Arts Management' entail?

It's management, like you would do in other courses/colleges, but specifically geared towards the world of the arts. People who do the course are often interested in music event management, gallery curation, stuff like that. It's different to regular business in that it's usually not for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

What are your modules like?? IS there any in particular that are hard??

• Advertisement

Taken from Qualifax.ie

Year 1.
    Management, Arts in Context, Marketing, Introduction to Theatre, Introduction to Music, Computer Applications, Learning and Research Methods

Year 2.
    Accounting I, Cultural Sector Analysis, Critical thinking, Marketing Research, Visual Arts Studies, Event Management I, Performing Arts Studies or Theatre

Year 3.
    Event Management II, Public Relations and Audience Development, Human Resource Management, Multimedia, Film, Placement

Year 4.
    Accounting II, Cultural Policy, Strategic Management for the Arts, Popular Music Management, New Media Technologies, Law

For me, Theatre is the most tedious, and Accounting the most challenging. I'm not saying any are particularly hard because if you keep on top of the assignments and ask for help when you need it you'll be fine. The lecturers WANT to help you!

One thing that sets this course apart from many others is the work placement in Year 3. It's five months to intern in whatever you want! Me, well, I'm planning on leaving the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Twee. wrote: »
    One thing that sets this course apart from many others is the work placement in Year 3. It's five months to intern in whatever you want! Me, well, I'm planning on leaving the country!

Cool, where are you thinking of going? England or leap-frogging to a Biennale 2011/2012 country?

Rhyme wrote: »
    Cool, where are you thinking of going? England or leap-frogging to a Biennale 2011/2012 country?

Hopefully London, and that sounds very cliche but better opportunities! I'm gonna apply to some label internships in the US too, just to see what kind of response I get ;) Could be lucky.

Hopefully London, and that sounds very cliche but better opportunities! I'm gonna apply to some label internships in the US too, just to see what kind of response I get ;) Could be lucky.
    Cliche it may be, Londons value isn't easily bested.

Send us Fine-Art schmoes a postcard ;)

Rhyme wrote: »
    Cliche it may be, Londons value isn't easily bested.

Send us Fine-Art schmoes a postcard ;)

Ah of course! I'll address it to Rhyme and all ;)

• Advertisement

Ah of course! I'll address it to Rhyme and all ;)

Rhyme
    Furtive looking gentleman
    2nd year VAP studio, DLIADT
    Kill Avenue
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co. Dublin
    Ireland

Cool, I've put it in my address book :)

Advertisement