Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone is telling porkies?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

".........Initiative

Over the past four years, 1,267 legally held firearms, including 31 handguns, have been stolen and only 373 recovered.

Since the setting up of the garda's anti-crime initiative, Operation Anvil, in late 2005, more than 1,200 stolen firearms have been recovered in Dublin and almost 1,000 in the rest of the country."

My maths isn't great but these figures don't add up? 1,267 legally held firearms were stolen in the last four years. 2,200 "stolen" fireams have been recovered in the country since 2005, which is within the last four years. Can we presume "stolen" means they were licenced firearms prior to being stolen? Therefore, these figures don't add up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

My maths isn't great but these figures don't add up? 1,267 legally held firearms were stolen in the last four years. 2,200 "stolen" fireams have been recovered in the country since 2005, which is within the last four years. Can we presume "stolen" means they were licenced firearms prior to being stolen? Therefore, these figures don't add up?

Those stolen firearms recovered by Anvil include ones stolen prior to 2005 and ones stolen from outside the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

cushtac wrote: »
    Those stolen firearms recovered by Anvil include ones stolen prior to 2005 and ones stolen from outside the state.

Doesn't state that in article...............And where did you get this information from?

Why is he only including firearms stolen in the last 4 years .......... oh yes that's how long pistols have been licenced for :( And that way the percentage of pistols stolen in relation to other firearms will be higher ;)

Great the way they massage the truth isn't it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

*Cough* That's politicians for ya *Cough* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what do the call illegally bought firearms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Doesn't state that in article...............And where did you get this information from?

Why is he only including firearms stolen in the last 4 years .......... oh yes that's how long pistols have been licenced for :( And that way the percentage of pistols stolen in relation to other firearms will be higher ;)

The recovery of firearms is recorded in the year they were recovered, not the year they were stolen.

The figures for recovered firearms includes firearms that were never licensed. As lostexpectation implies, they have to call them something and 'recovered' is as good a word as any.

How do I come to that conclusion? Simply because they include machineguns in the list of 'recovered' firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

when someone is pursuing an agenda they will ''massage'' the numbers to favour their own agenda.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In fairness to Mr. Brady (:rolleyes:), it looks more like a sloppy cut 'n paste than anything else.

He has previously written:
    ...since the setting up of the garda's anti-crime drive, Operation Anvil, in late 2005, more than 1,200 firearms have been recovered in Dublin and almost 1,000 across the rest of the country.

This latest version, has the word 'stolen' inserted into it:
    Since the setting up of the garda's anti-crime initiative, Operation Anvil, in late 2005, more than 1,200 stolen firearms have been recovered in Dublin and almost 1,000 in the rest of the country.

The juxtaposition of that paragraph with the latest version of the Minister's firearm theft statistics makes the inserted word look doubly dubious.

While we're all (justifiably) paranoid and are watching out for omens in the political winds, it might be no harm to bear this quotation in mind:
    Napoleon Bonaparte: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

The article doesn't state that but it's the case, I got the info in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

cushtac wrote: »
    The article doesn't state that but it's the case, I got the info in work.

Work? please expand for us mere mortals

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Work? please expand for us mere mortals

Jesus he is a guard, i know what your suggesting everyone knows the figures are badly displayed and i feel your trying to make the point that the public may be confused. With regard to Anvil, im sure some of the firearms recovered were stolen within the state over the years, sawnoff shotguns always were stolen from somewhere, with regard to the firearms being imported by the gangs with drug shipments, they are black market, Glock sig whoever are not taking big export orders from criminals, these were legit firearms which were either stolen or obtained under false pretences and smuggled, using fake documentation, end user certs and export licences. the use of the word stolen is unfortunate and misleading as it makes it sound like hundreds of handguns were stolen within the state, not the case. Its probably not all that an inaccurate statement however technically, but does read as scaremongering and sensationilising to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement