Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are EASONS the greatest rip-off in Ireland

• 14-01-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Bought a magazine 2 weeks ago in Easons. £5.45. Charged €8.92. Naturally the difference is not justified by either VAT or exchange rate.
    I asked for an explanation and manager was to phone me. Returned 4 times . Eventually got a call this week.
    The explanation
    "Their wholesale division says this is the right price. Everyone is complaining and people are handing back magazines"
    I find it extraordinary that a company like Easons continue to rip off their customers in this way. And clearly they have no intention of responding to complaints or lost sales. I think they can return unsold magazines to publishers so itis the publisher who loses out in the end.
    I have joined those who have stopped buying magazines there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

mcyclist wrote: »

Stop buying magazines at all you mean. Easons actually import most magazines in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

same as everywhere else with dual pricing
    the price in € is there, if you don't want to pay it, then don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So where are you going to buy them now? please share the other shops here that are cheaper than easons. Did you buy this magazine elsewhere? if so how much was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

rubadub wrote: »
    So where are you going to buy them now? please share the other shops here that are cheaper than easons. Did you buy this magazine elsewhere? if so how much was it?

Direct subscription from the publishers is usually vastly cheaper (including postage)... although some publishers will not post to Ireland.

Alternatively, have a look at Amazon and Ebay, some of the 'supersellers' on there are in effect online magazine shops and offer excellent fixed prices.

I believe (but haven't tried any) that there are a number of online magazine distribution sites that work out of the UK, and that they offer good prices also (google search should do it).

The point being that there are plenty of options. I wouldn't buy non-Irish magazines in this country anymore (haven't since 2001), but at the same time OP shouldn't have to do without the magazine/s of his choice just becuase of a particular strategy by Easons.

OP should be grateful to Rubabud for the helpful questions designed to assist the OP in finding a solution to the overpriced magazine problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Used to buy some motorbike magazines there from time to time. 8 euro 50 cents here 3 pound 90 in England. When it became obvious the euro was worth nearly as much as the pound i complaining and was given the whole "transport,tax,high wages" B.S. Have'nt been back in months and now order the magazine straight from the company in England for 4.80 including postage :). Vote with your wallet guys

Lplated wrote: »
    Direct subscription from the publishers is usually vastly cheaper (including postage)... although some publishers will not post to Ireland.
    Yes, when I was a kid I used to subscribe to computer magazines, you got a free game worth a fair bit, sometimes nearly the sub price itself, as games were cheaper in the UK too.

When Game (maybe another UK games store) first opened here they had magazines very cheap, they did just change up the price with a reasonably OK exchange rate. But they increased since.

Some supermarkets have magazines at slightly cheaper prices, but not too much different from easons. A lot of newsagents will be more, so I do not see the reason to just single out easons.
    The point being that there are plenty of options.
    For subs and bulk maybe, but if you want a single issue it can be hard to find. Unless some place can post them cheap, I know some countries have discount rates for papers & magazines. It is a good oppertunity for somebody in a country where local prices for international magazines might be low. Look at the likes of dealextreme, selling stuff for $1.50 including postage, and still making a profit.

My local library has lots of decent magazines, I was also shocked at their amazing cd & dvd collection, you can take 12 out at a time for a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Why should the store manager have to explain the price that is charged for a product? As other posters have mentioned, the Euro price is displayed and it is up to the customer if they want to buy at this price or not.

When companies are involved in international trade, they will buy contracts months in advance of when the money is required. The sterling rate is very volatile at the moment.

A lot of the price difference is due to VAT being charged by the Revenue Commissoners on news products, whereas the UK does not charge VAT on news items. Most news items are charged at 13.5%, however, a growing number of items are charged at 21.5%. If you really want to complain to someone, you should complain to the Revenue about this.

The economies of scale in the Republic are very bad compared to the UK due to very low population densities outside Dublin. The fairest thing to do would be to charge lower prices in Dublin and higher prices elsewhere, however, this probably wouldn't go down very well with people from outside Dublin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

jahalpin wrote: »
    Why should the store manager have to explain the price that is charged for a product? As other posters have mentioned, the Euro price is displayed and it is up to the customer if they want to buy at this price or not.

I have to say I am amazed at this attitude.
    Firstly we are regularly told to address any concern we might have with the store manager before taking it elsewhere. That's why I asked to speak to the store manager.
    I remember when the Irish pound and sterling were linked ( long before euro). The actual price here was the sterling price with about 10% added for tax.
    etc.
    Easons do not buy the magazine at retail price they get it landed in Ireland by publishers/distributors at wholesale price and would make a good profit by selling at the marked price adjusted for exchange rate and VAT difference. That is how they operated before.
    By charging excessive prices they, and others in the retail trade, are effectively inducing purchasers to buy directly from UK or buy in the North.
    Personnaly I have decided to write to the publishers explaining how their porduct is being handled in Ireland and suggesting that they consider making alternative arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

rubadub wrote: »
    A lot of newsagents will be more, so I do not see the reason to just single out easons.

Like you stated afterwords when it comes to bulk that's why one would think to single out Eason. They are a huge organisation. But at the very least they are paying our governement 21% Vat, whereas I have stated in another section that there are a few Uk stores over here with cheap prices and have the Uk Vat of 18% which we pay and goes abroad to the Uk Governement.
    Wages are higher in Ireland and Rent is quite dear as well. We buy the goods directly and save 4euro. Eason close down and people lose their jobs. We do this everywhere and we are in the position we are in now. That added with people going to Newry to buy stuff in bulk etc. You cant complain about something, take an action accordingly, face the consequences of those actions and than complain about the result. Im slighlty trailing off here I know but if you didn't see the Uk price you wouldn't have the problem paying the 8euro as you see it as worth it, as it's a good magazine. Only when you see the Uk price you realise it's not worth it. Unfortunatly when it comes to magazines Ireland do not publish or create them ( the good ones i mean) They come in from the Uk and that's simply why we cant just buy the same magazine somewhere else charging half the price.

Is it Eason that are a rip off or are Magazines a rip off? That's the question you should ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

So your arguement is that igrorance is bliss and we would all be happy if we didn't know that we were getting overcharged? ban google I say, it is a menace to the economy!

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Like you stated afterwords when it comes to bulk that's why one would think to single out Eason. They are a huge organisation.
    Point is they should and do charge what the market accepts. If they did charge less people would moan about them shutting down small shops! I think the directors would sack any charitable manager who was not aiming to maximise profits, in any business.
    But at the very least they are paying our governement 21% Vat, whereas I have stated in another section that there are a few Uk stores over here with cheap prices and have the Uk Vat of 18% which we pay and goes abroad to the Uk Governement.
    Not sure what you mean there? are you inferring the likes of tescos are allowed to buy magazines in the UK at wholesale prices, pay UK VAT, ship to here and then sell without paying Irish VAT at all?
    If this was allowed then easons would simply open a tiny shop in the UK and do the same trick.

Same goes for tescos with the likes of Coke, coca-cola would stop supplying them if they were bringing it over here with UK labelling on it. Only small takeaways & €2 shops get away with this "smuggling".

if you didn't see the Uk price you wouldn't have the problem paying the 8euro as you see it as worth it, as it's a good magazine. Only when you see the Uk price you realise it's not worth it.
    But it was "worth it", the UK price just tells you it is cheaper in another country, no real shocker there. Some idiots will bite their nose off to spite their face though. They could go to one UK owned store, see dual priced labels, storm out, waste time, effort, petrol going to another UK owned store here and buy a similar item for the same price. I applaud the shops who do not bow down to the idiots and employ people to mask or remove dual pricing, which is going to result in higher prices again!

Maybe they could get volunteer idiots in to do this if it upsets them so much.
    Is it Eason that are a rip off or are Magazines a rip off? That's the question you should ask.
    And for a lot of goods, many times it is not the retailers "fault". Far too many people think retailers around the world are paying the exact same wholesale prices, and thinking the difference charged to the consumer is pure profit. Magazines, ipods, consoles etc will all have prices fixed by manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes they are a real rip off and thus trying to avoid them.
    Only problem is they are one of the main distributors in Ireland and AFAIK they even rip off the newsagents by foisting on them magazines they don't even want to stock.

As example before Christmas went into Easons branch to buy new magazine that was just recently released.
    First issue was at £1.99 (as advertised on UK TV), got to till and was charged €3.99.

Now this was December and it was a new publication, so no excuses about exchange rate sh**e, etc.

I am not allowed discuss …

fenris wrote: »
    So your arguement is that igrorance is bliss and we would all be happy if we didn't know that we were getting overcharged? ban google I say, it is a menace to the economy!

We are not as big as the Uk, the market over there is alot bigger, bigger demand usually means lower prices (maybe not in some cases ie houses and cars) But regarding magazines the price is low I think due to competition in the Uk (retailers and different type of mags). Ireland really only has Eason, demand is reasonably large, market is small in comparisont. So to make it profitibly visable for them to stay in Ireland they have to overcharge.

We need more competition, perhaps a 2nd top leading magazine retailer with as big of buying power. Would obviously rather an irish owned one but it collapse under the buying power of Eason.

As well as that, what was pointed out by one of the moderators. They will charge what people are willing to pay. So it's other peoples ignorance that is costing you! It's the same with any Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hi, i'm your typical Irish twit who has been paying outrageous prices for the past ten years and now that the news is telling me there's a recession i'm beginning to cop on.
    But wait, i went into Easons last week and bought an overpriced magazine and then i complained about it to management. When will shops begin to lower their prices and stop ripping us off?

RIP OFF IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!111

Hi, i'm your typical Irish twit who has been paying outrageous prices for the past ten years and now that the news is telling me there's a recession i'm beginning to cop on.
    But wait, i went into Easons last week and bought an overpriced magazine and then i complained about it to management. When will shops begin to lower their prices and stop ripping us off?

RIP OFF IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!111

Why did you buy it if you were just going to complain about the price.
    If I was buying something and saw on the counter its 5euro and went upto the counter and they said 8euro. I wouldnt buy it.

Actually as a matter of fact, I was buying some envelopes in Eason there 2 weeks back, 2 pack of letters 2x10, the lady scanned them and said that be 90euro please. I laughed and said HOW MUCH? she repeated its 90euro.

I looked at her and said look at what you have just scanned in and tell me again what price it is. She said well my screen says 90euro. I said you must be daft than, theres obviously a mistake. She said do you want the manager.

Yes i do, he came along and said oh yes there is a mistake and the total was 9euro. I say they are used to over charging that they cant tell what value is anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I gave up buying magazines about a year ago, like the OP, I felt it wasn't worth it. For the hobby magazine I used to buy, I find online forums and websites just as good for articles.

Couldn't be arsed writing to easons, see if they can figure it out from their plumeting sales. They seem to be taking the "diagio" approach to falling sales by putting prices up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I also gave up buying magazines years ago and only buy them if in the UK or NI. Miffed me that most publishers won't allow Irish subscriptions. By the way, I would say that Easons is one of the most ripped off shops. The amount of thieving that I see happening in Easons is mind boggling. Last time I was in there, copped a brazen youngster piling high value goods into a shopping bag - he worked with an adult. Told the plain clothes security and they caught him going out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Don't worry Easons will be going under soon, they are the Woolworths of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Don't worry Easons will be going under soon, they are the Woolworths of the UK.

No they won't, Easons are the main distributor of magazines and newspapers to virtually every newsagent in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Exchange rate changes cannot take effect immediately within large companies. These companies, Easons included, not only sign contracts far in advance to pay certain amounts for goods, they also have a fixed rate of exchange which is held for several months at a time. Companies can't change their pricing on a daily/weekly basis to reflect currency fluctuations because they would end up losing millions. Prices in Easons have gradually started to come down. Magazines also have either a 13% VAT or a 21.5% VAT. The vat increases have also helped to keep prices higher than england, who's VAT rate was cut by 1% as ours was increased by a half.

Easons are an irish company who employ people across the country, and if people are so determined to spend their money elsewhere, they will, but losing our indigenous companies is going to make the budget cuts even worse as the governments try to pay the jobseekers allowance to all these people.

Also if you ever a serious issue with pricing and NOT members of staff in large companies, you should write to the head office to complain about prices the store manager in most multi branch businesses has no control whatsoever on pricing.

AvaKinder wrote: »
    Exchange rate changes cannot take effect immediately within large companies. These companies, Easons included, not only sign contracts far in advance to pay certain amounts for goods, they also have a fixed rate of exchange which is held for several months at a time. Companies can't change their pricing on a daily/weekly basis to reflect currency fluctuations because they would end up losing millions.

What a load of rubbish. In most cases publishers get paid a month later. Easons do not pay for magazines 4 months in advance and get locked into high exchange rates.

AvaKinder wrote: »
    Also if you ever a serious issue with pricing and NOT members of staff in large companies, you should write to the head office to complain about prices the store manager in most multi branch businesses has no control whatsoever on pricing.

Again, this I feel this is rubbish. Personally, I am always available to talk to my customers. Store managers should be able to deal with a customer complaint correctly. I did not expect expect an answer immediately, just that they would process the complaint and respond. They took my name, address and phone number. However they failed to follow up. No business which values its customers would treat them like that. I went 4 times to Easons before I got a return phone call. That is just bad customer relations.
    I am well aware that costs here are higher than in UK. But businesses charging exorbitant prices will lose customers. In seems from the comments of the store manager, who admitted that this was a common and regular complaint from their customers who were refusing to purchase the magazines, that Easons would rather lose customers than respond by adjusting their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Magazines in the UK don't have VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

eth0_ wrote: »
    No they won't, Easons are the main distributor of magazines and newspapers to virtually every newsagent in Ireland.
    Indeed correct, not only that, they are the only license holder in the state to distribute magazines and newspapers.

...and the kicker is, Easons in Newry sells mags at the Sterling price as advertised on the cover. Please explain that to me!

We really need the likes of WHSmith to come in a practise some pnwage.

Until then, vote with your feet and your wallets guys. I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Yes, they are a rip off.
    A magazine recently for sale at £3.80 had sticker on it with 6.17 euros.

When the exchange rate was about 68 pence to the euro, the cost was
    6.80 euros.

Yes it has reduced in price but somewhere a long the line a middle man is having a laff.

Indeed correct, not only that, they are the only license holder in the state to distribute magazines and newspapers.

...and the kicker is, Easons in Newry sells mags at the Sterling price as advertised on the cover. Please explain that to me!

We really need the likes of WHSmith to come in a practise some pnwage.

Until then, vote with your feet and your wallets guys. I have.

Newspread (a division of Independent Newspapers) also distributes newspapers and magazines throughout the country. Nobody seems to complain about their prices even they charge the same as EM News!!

Newry is actually in Northern Ireland, where the currency is sterling and is subject to UK vat regulations and rates. The minimum wage is also lower in Northern Ireland than in the Republic. The Revenue Commissioners would not be too impressed if the VAT wasn't charged on vatable items. Most magazines and newspapers are subject to 13.5% VAT with partworks aand certain other items chargable at 21.5%

WH Smith wouldn't charge any less if they opened here as they would have to charge Irish VAT and apply a sterling-euro exchange rate.

It is highly unlikely that WHS would open here due to;

1. Exceptionally low population density outside of Dublin
    2. Attitude of customers
    3. Increased costs of operating in different country. WHS currently only have a high-street presence in mainland UK (exc. the one shop they have in Belfast). They only operate travel shops in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I used to buy the odd fitness magazine in Easons (closest shop to me). After a while I realised it was the same regurgitated crap being re-printed and havent bought since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommy841

well you can vote with your feet and not buy in easons but for god sake stop abusing the staff.They cant do anything other than pass on you complaint using foul language and and making personal attack on staff member isnt fair remeber theyre only working there and like you trying to make ends meet or do you think eason staff are adding in thir cut to the price of your mag

tommy841 wrote: »
    well you can vote with your feet and not buy in easons but for god sake stop abusing the staff.They cant do anything other than pass on you complaint using foul language and and making personal attack on staff member isnt fair remeber theyre only working there and like you trying to make ends meet or do you think eason staff are adding in thir cut to the price of your mag

too right, an individual hurling verbal abuse at a sales advisor isn't going to make a multi-billion £ multi-national corporation suddenly change it's pricing policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

BookStation seem to have certain magazines OK and Hello for sale a lot cheaper than other newsagents I think the Hello was priced at 2.55 (I think the normal cost is 3.83) and some of their kids mags are in line with sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

An independant newsagents is charging €11.99 for a dvd/magazine thing and the sterling price is £6.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

eth0_ wrote: »

To correct you a little without rocking the boat.

Eason used to be the main distributor in Ireland for mags etc but then the broke up the company into Easons shops and EM News distribution for the mags and news.

Em News Distribution division was sold on to a Scottish company called i-Menzines owned by a guy called John Menzine

Easons stores are now buying ther news and views just like the rest of the retailers around the country.

As a point for everybody go back this week and look at the differences between the sterling and euro rates. In most cases the difference now is only the Vat rate of 13.5%, I will admint there are some differences. Part works and monthly Mags.

Retailers are allowed put there own prices on Mags however a vast amount stick to the recommeneded RSP provided for by the suppliers.

Also the conversion rate is fixed monthly by the magazine companies so any great reduction is the difference between sterling and euro will take a short while to be felt at the checkout. ps your bank is doing the same with the reduction on the interest rate they are taking their time in passing it on to you.

Em News Distribution division was sold on to a Scottish company called i-Menzines owned by a guy called John Menzine

EM News Distribution is a joint venture between Eason and Menzies, it is not owned by Menzies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got abused today by a customer about magazine prices. I even offered to showed him the invoice from News spread with the price we were charged for the mag but no it was all my company's fault and I was more a fool because I admitted to i'm I but my mags there.
    The more I tried to explain to him the more he ranted so realising he was on a mission sent him off with the number for head office and he left a copy of the letter he sent to Joe Duffy!!

jahalpin wrote: »
    EM News Distribution is a joint venture between Eason and Menzies, it is not owned by Menzies

since October/November last year its fully operational by Menzines, Its the same people etc but they report back to Scotland now.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I got abused today by a customer about magazine prices. I even offered to showed him the invoice from News spread with the price we were charged for the mag but no it was all my company's fault and I was more a fool because I admitted to i'm I but my mags there.
    The more I tried to explain to him the more he ranted so realising he was on a mission sent him off with the number for head office and he left a copy of the letter he sent to Joe Duffy!!

its not worth even the argument.

I had a guy yesterday moaning that he bought a monthly two weeks ago and it was about €6 but yesterday the new months version came in and because of the sterling etc its now only €4, got the old "so you made €2 on it more than you should" I didnt even bother going there just nodded and got on with my day

since October/November last year its fully operational by Menzines, Its the same people etc but they report back to Scotland now.

It is still jointly controlled and owned by Easons and Menzies.

Menzies provide operational support, Easons control financial matters. They report to both Dublin and Edinburgh.

If I was the shop manager, I would have told the customer that that is the price that we are charging for the magazine and that if he has a problem with that, noone is actually forcing him to buy the magazine.

I would also tell him that we are not part of the UK and therefore the sterling price printed on the item is totally irrelevant and that we use a currency called the Euro and have done for the last 7 years. If he has a problem with the price that he should contact the Revenue Commissoners and ask them to explain why they charge VAT on magazines when the UK doesn't (that would probably be quite a short call!!).

If he threatens to call that bumbling idiot in RTE, I'd tell him to go ahead and walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

such a loser :rolleyes:

not you, him

I was in Easons today, and any mentioned as being priced at 60-70% more than the sterling price are the exceptions

the vast majority are priced at a rate of about £1 = €1.40, which at a current exchange rate of £1 = €1.12, and 13.5% vat, and the extra transport costs and overheads, is a very reasonable price

• Advertisement

Yes you are right. Easons have reduced their prices at last. i like to think that the number of customers who complained about their high prices had something to do with it. And perhaps discussion here on Boards .ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes you are right. Easons have reduced their prices at last. i like to think that the number of customers who complained about their high prices had something to do with it. And perhaps discussion here on Boards .ie.

Doubt it, they review the rate 3 or 4 times a year, and set it accordingly. This practice worked for years when the rate was relatively stable.

But the only alternative is to fix a daily rate and this would have the effect of the price changing every edition and then people would complain and b!&€h about this an long for the good old days when the prices are more constant...

Advertisement