Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should be able to get a perfect picture, DTT has error correction. Here I'm getting DTT off two different masts (two different aerials, loooong story) and the UHF analogue in both cases is snowy and herringboned. Picture is 100% on both TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

thanks for that i may get a new mpeg4 tv after xmass to go whit me new foxsat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same here, I get fairly poor reception from Mullaghanish as I get my RTE off a relay and TV3 off Mullaghanish with a very powerful amp but DTT is full on, full signal and perfect pic with no pixelation.
    Lots of TVs seem to have mpeg4 now, I have it included in my freesat TV so it looks good. hard to even watch analog now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

:confused: Can other DTT users in the South West confirm that Mullaganish DTT is off air with the last day or two ? I have no signal here in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

I can confirm no signal at present in North Cork as well:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

yes can confirm no dtt from Mullaghanish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Any one know when it's back up surely not a cooling issue this time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kinsaleferg

I used get 100% reception, been off since 5th. No idea why and not aware of any engineering notice. might try and swivel the aerial over toward Spur Hill to kill an hour

ditto, off in Bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

sorry lads have no pictures on tv this evening,intermittent sound,is it something with the transmitter?thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Denethor

I'm assuming given the bad weather that there is no access to the transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me if Crosshaven is transmitting DTT?
    In laws considering new tv but would like to know if they'll get the digital channels first. I think they have very poor TV3 in their area at the moment so not sure if this means they won't get DTT either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Bad reception from analogue does not mean that you won't receive digital. The beauty of digital is that if you receive it, it should be perfect. Somebody in Cork will let you know if reception is available in Crosshaven.

If you get your signal from Spur Hill you should be OK for DTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I'm in Crosshaven. No sign of DTT yet - I will put up a note as soon as I see anything.
    The reason they can't get TV3 is that TV3 never paid for installation of the fill-in transmitters in places like Crosshaven - they just went with the 95% of the population that were covered by the main RTE sites and tough titty on the rest of us. Some people in Crosser can get TV3 by aiming a specific antenna for TV3 up the river (ie west) but it's quite iffy. I can get it upstairs (sometimes) on a rabbits ears, but not downstairs.

Anyway - DTT will solve their problem. All the multiplex is transmitted on the same carrier so if we get RTE1 we'll get 2, TV3, TG4 and RTE News channels.

Are they getting their signal from the Crosshaven transmitter at present? If so they should have absolutely no problem and get a perfectly clear noise-free picture from all 5 channels.

db

Cheers fellas. Yes, they get their signal from crosshaven at the moment. Is there any 'schedule' that RTENL are working too with regards to updating transmitters? Do we expect it this year sometime in Crosshaven for instance?

Cheers fellas. Yes, they get their signal from crosshaven at the moment. Is there any 'schedule' that RTENL are working too with regards to updating transmitters? Do we expect it this year sometime in Crosshaven for instance?

Crosshaven was expected to be completed by Q3 2009, obviously running behind schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE tendered for the upgrade of 13 relay sites last Feb. Crosshaven wasn't on the list.

See this post.

Cheers Cush - so basically it seems that Crosshaven is out in the cold till further upgrade notices are released. Ah well, all good things eh. There's always Sky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Riordd01

Can any one tell me if Mullaghanish DDT is stil off the air. I have no signal in Carrigaline. Tanks.

Riordd01 wrote: »
    Can any one tell me if Mullaghanish DDT is stil off the air. I have no signal in Carrigaline. Tanks.

Yes, still off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

Still out here too

Analogue gone also from Mullaghanish this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

saw this on the Kerry Radio website

Engineers work to restore television signal to Kerry

Householders across Kerry were left with no television signal last night due to an ESB mains break. According to engineers with RTE the unplanned break in transmission happened at 20 past 10 last night. Due to the nature of the mast site access was difficult but most services were restored by 12.30. TG4 transmission was fixed at half 8 this morning. However, some households are still reported breaks in transmission and engineers say this is due to antenna damage at the Mullaghanish site caused by lightening and ice. Teams are waiting for a thaw before full repairs can be carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FrostyTheSnowMa

Anyone have an idea when the DTT will start up again from Mullaghanish?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The Cush wrote: »
    RTE tendered for the upgrade of 13 relay sites last Feb. Crosshaven wasn't on the list.

See this post.

I know I'm being pedantic but some of those DTT relays are not at existing sites. They are brand new as part of analogue switchover.

Also, would TV3 terrestrial coverage be more around the 80-85% population coverage mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I'm in Crosshaven. No sign of DTT yet - I will put up a note as soon as I see anything.
    The reason they can't get TV3 is that TV3 never paid for installation of the fill-in transmitters in places like Crosshaven - they just went with the 95% of the population that were covered by the main RTE sites and tough titty on the rest of us. Some people in Crosser can get TV3 by aiming a specific antenna for TV3 up the river (ie west) but it's quite iffy. I can get it upstairs (sometimes) on a rabbits ears, but not downstairs.

Anyway - DTT will solve their problem. All the multiplex is transmitted on the same carrier so if we get RTE1 we'll get 2, TV3, TG4 and RTE News channels.

Are they getting their signal from the Crosshaven transmitter at present? If so they should have absolutely no problem and get a perfectly clear noise-free picture from all 5 channels.

db

Most people in Crosshaven can receive Tv3 and also DTT from Mullaganish (when it gets repaired). Problem for most folks is they also have an aerial for South Coast pointing at Camden.(group A also). Take that aerial off, change polarity to from vertical to horizontal, point it up the river and should be grand.
    South Coast gone very soon ,I think.

when is soon though, South Coast's digital seems to have become a failure and I wonder how long til SC just goes defunct

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cillo2000

I sent a mail to RTENL a few days ago about the DTT transmission and this is the response I received this evening.

"
    Hi Cillian,

DTT services will resume at Mullaghanish on a test service basis until the official launch of DTT later in 2010. The reason it is off currently is due to antenna damaged sustained during the recent freezing weather. I can’t be definitive regarding a restoration date at this time.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian Geraghty
    Interference Manager"

Rippy wrote: »
    Most people in Crosshaven can receive Tv3 and also DTT from Mullaganish (when it gets repaired). Problem for most folks is they also have an aerial for South Coast pointing at Camden.(group A also). Take that aerial off, change polarity to from vertical to horizontal, point it up the river and should be grand.
    South Coast gone very soon ,I think.

That's really interesting Rippy - the inlaws are currently receiving south coast so does this mean they could do as you say and repoint aerial to crosshaven (or did you mean Mullaganish) and get DTT?

Do you think it would it be possible to put up another aerial and combine the signals into 1 down cable? This would have the advantage of keeping the SCTV service.

• Advertisement

does this mean they could do as you say and repoint aerial

yes to Mullaghanish,

John mac wrote: »
    yes to Mullaghanish,

Thanks John.

Out of interest, why do people think SCTV is going to fold soon? Freesat pushing it out of business?

i have only seen 3 sctv digital dishes in the clonakilty area. not many in a sctv stronghold. they have their work cut out.

Do you think it would it be possible to put up another aerial and combine the signals into 1 down cable? This would have the advantage of keeping the SCTV service.
    No, the signal from SCTV at Camden and from Mullaganish would be received by both aerials. This would cause severe ghosting and distortion if combined down one cable. If aerials are for different groups they can be combined using a diplexer,as is used in Crosser for RTE form Goats Cross (group C/D) and South coast (A). So it is either TV3 OR SCTV .

Thanks John.

Out of interest, why do people think SCTV is going to fold soon? Freesat pushing it out of business?
    Disregarding the financial viability of SCTV digital, the analogue service is no longer licenced.
    After many years of legality,they have hoisted the Skull and Crossbones once again.:D
    Enforcement by Comreg will close them down when they get around to it.

Disregarding the financial viability of SCTV digital, the analogue service is no longer licenced.
    After many years of legality,they have hoisted the Skull and Crossbones once again.:D
    Enforcement by Comreg will close them down when they get around to it.

Deflectors were granted a 3 year licence extension to the of 2012 on the 16th Nov.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Deflectors were granted a 3 year licence extension to the of 2012 on the 16th Nov.

Quite right I missed this :o

South Coast will surely continue their analogue broadcasts up to this deadline, as long as they remain in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MikeC2048

Until a couple of days ago, I was getting a good DVB-T signal on Channel 62 - It is now off the air, and I assume that is due to the feed from Mullaghanish also being off the air for Digital. So I'd keep a eye on Camden at 62/UHF for a while to see if the signal returns. I can still also see a carrier on that frequency at 60DB uV (amplified), but there's no content there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

MikeC2048 wrote: »
    Until a couple of days ago, I was getting a good DVB-T signal on Channel 62 - It is now off the air, and I assume that is due to the feed from Mullaghanish also being off the air for Digital. So I'd keep a eye on Camden at 62/UHF for a while to see if the signal returns. I can still also see a carrier on that frequency at 60DB uV (amplified), but there's no content there.
    Mike - are you sure it's from Crosshaven? And I presume you mean Goat's Cross (RTE's) rather than Camden (South Coast's) - or are SC playing about with DTT?
    PS - what freq in MHz is that? My USB dongle needs VLC to run and it needs freq not channel #
    ta. db.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MikeC2048

Sorry, you're right Goat's Cross, rather than Camden. I'm cant remember if what I got (and remember it's only a carrier at the moment - power, but no structure) was on Ch. 62 or 63 UHF - my meter doesnt show that. Best of luck with it, but remember I havent received a structured signal for a week. You might be better trying your luck with Mullaghanish (Ch 25, I think), if it's back on air.

The frequencies should be (from the UHF Wiki):

UHF bandChannelVideo carrier (MHz)Audio carrier (MHz)21471.25477.2522479.25485.2523487.25493.2524495.25501.2525503.25509.2526511.25517.2527519.25525.2528527.25533.2529535.25541.2530543.25549.2531551.25557.2532559.25565.2533567.25573.2534575.25581.2535583.25589.2536591.25597.2537599.25605.2538607.25613.2539615.25621.2540623.25629.2541631.25637.2542639.25645.2543647.25653.2544655.25661.2545663.25669.2546671.25677.2547679.25685.2548687.25693.2549695.25701.2550703.25709.2551711.25717.2552719.25725.2553727.25733.2554735.25741.2555743.25749.2556751.25757.2557759.25765.2558767.25773.2559775.25781.2560783.25789.2561791.25797.2562799.25805.2563807.25813.2564815.25821.2565823.25829.2566831.25837.2567839.25845.2568847.25853.2569855.25861.25

just home from mullaghanish whit new photos of the mast. can i send them to any onehere to post them up. if your interested. still ice falling down from the mast today. a bit of snow on the ground still.

• Advertisement

and still no digital signal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Not long to wait now.

More Music wrote: »
    Not long to wait now.

go on tell us when it will be back :)

More Music wrote: »
    Not long to wait now.

:confused: Days or weeks ? Put us out of our misery please ? I have a brother who has been using DTT from Mullaghanish as his main signal source, as his analogue is dire and he doesn't have Sky, so he's waiting with baited breath !

same here, no RTE for a month and going to put some sagem picnic boxes in for mates who want rte and its the easiest way so please come back on!!

From an unofficial source, should be back on today (Thurs ) or Friday :D:D

From an unofficial source, should be back on today (Thurs ) or Friday :D:D

:) Emailed RTE NL yesterday and just received a reply stating that engineering works on DTT from Mullaghanish have been ongoing and that test transmissions should resume in the coming week. Hopefully "the coming week" means anytime from today onwards !

UPDATE : Rippy, your source was correct ! Mullaghanish DTT firing on all cyclinders again as of 10.30am approx. RTE1,RTE2,TV3 on test card,TG4 and four radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cillo2000

I can confirm that DTT is working south Kerry again, but the sound in RTE is badly out of sync and TV3 Just has a test card.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Did a scan today and to my surprise I picked up Mullaghanish at 100% signal and 100% quaility. The reason why I'm suprised is that I have my powered rabbits ears in the attic pointed towards Spur Hill since xmas. Has the new mast gone live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

Must give it a try with rabbit ears, would be great if signal got that strong

• Advertisement
Advertisement