Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours are you putting in?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I can only manage about 1:45mins...then i get to tired and I cant take anymore in.
    What I would give to be able to do 3 hours every night and take it all in...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akbar

Since the Christmas holidays I've had about 3 or 4 days where I've been able to put in 5 or more hours of study, but that's purely because I sat on my hole for 5th year and up until Christmas of 6th, and I'm aiming for over 550 points. I tried a few times before Christmas and failed miserable to study, so made up a plan by simply saying I have this much to learn before the mocks, this much time, made a rough guide how to learn it and a general target for each week (per subject) like for example one Irish history essay per week, one chapter of Physics every night, or whatever you're doing, and it totals up to 4, 5, 6 hours every night, and it's hard to even get started, but so much easier with a plan. If you've got a target for a day for a subject it's so much easier to get somethin done, even if it's something ****ty like answering 4 or 5 questions. That's how I've been stickin through hours of study anyway, with a set idea for each subject and occasional breaks e.g. 20 mins for a French comprehension or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

akbar wrote: »
    Since the Christmas holidays I've had about 3 or 4 days where I've been able to put in 5 or more hours of study, but that's purely because I sat on my hole for 5th year and up until Christmas of 6th, and I'm aiming for over 550 points. I tried a few times before Christmas and failed miserable to study, so made up a plan by simply saying I have this much to learn before the mocks, this much time, made a rough guide how to learn it and a general target for each week (per subject) like for example one Irish history essay per week, one chapter of Physics every night, or whatever you're doing, and it totals up to 4, 5, 6 hours every night, and it's hard to even get started, but so much easier with a plan. If you've got a target for a day for a subject it's so much easier to get somethin done, even if it's something ****ty like answering 4 or 5 questions. That's how I've been stickin through hours of study anyway, with a set idea for each subject and occasional breaks e.g. 20 mins for a French comprehension or something

Great post!
    I'm kinda the same as yourself.I didn't do much in 5th year but since after the xmas holidays i put in 4 hours during weekdays and 18 hours over the weekend{including friday}.honest question.Do you think we will pull it out of the bag?I to want to get over 500:o

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Remmy wrote: »
    Great post!
    I'm kinda the same as yourself.I didn't do much in 5th year but since after the xmas holidays i put in 4 hours during weekdays and 18 hours over the weekend{including friday}.honest question.Do you think we will pull it out of the bag?I to want to get over 500:o
    if ya keep that up ya will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

bricky10 wrote: »
    I can only manage about 1:45mins...then i get to tired and I cant take anymore in.
    What I would give to be able to do 3 hours every night and take it all in...:(
    akbar wrote: »

I agree with Akbar, having a plan really helps, and focuses you somewhat.

The other thing is, you can only concentrate fully for 25 minutes at a time, so plan for 25 minutes of <topic, eg. ecology> in <subject, eg Biology>. Then you take a 5-10 minutes break, where you get up and move around and drink plenty of water. DO NOT watch television/go on the internet. Then go back to the study, only start a new topic, even if you haven't fnished what you were doing previously, you can go back later. This will improve your concentration.

I know it sounds like a waste of time, because before I started using the 25 minute thing, I thought, but I'm wasting 5-10 minutes every half hour, and I want to be done and over with as quickly as possible! But it does work, and it really doesn't take that much time. You'll get much more achieved than if you slog away at one topic for an hour and a half. Your brain gets bored. Try it anyway, I know I get more done this way!

As for how many hours I'm putting in, not a lot tbh, but what I am doing is effective! ;) I did 3 hours of study + homework at the weekend, and during the week I'm lucky just to get my homework done, so I don't really have time for study :( In about a week or so, I'll probably start proper studying because the mocks are 2 and a half weeks away! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I do about 1hr and 30 min study during weekdays (except friday) and the bout 1hr home work.

Do bout 4 hrs on saturday and about an 1hr on Sunday unless I've a match, then I do nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

2 hours at least every day during the week then it kinda depends on the weekend but generally at least 5 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

do about 3 hours during each weekday and about 6 on each Saturday and Sunday. Now how much of that is just me just staring into space is unknown at this moment in time

I do about 2-3 hours a week. I really must start doing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hey!!!

how the hall are we meant to fit in study time with so much homework aswell......its so hard to do it all!!:(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Study(i.e Study and homework):I always aim for 4 hours on weeknights but I only ever seem to get 3 and a half.Weekend:I am starting a new regime in which I intend to get 10 hours done(including Friday)(previously about 4 hours over the weekend).In fact I rarely used to study on Fridays as usually I am fairly tired by the end of the week.
    I hope that'll be enough to get 500+ points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

I aim for 3 topics on a weeknight. I think it's wrong to say that you are going to study for 3 hours a night because how much of that time is effective study?

I made out a plan of what i've to cover from now until the mocks. I feel that is much more productive.

Weekends generally i aim to cover the more time consuming subjects i.e. English essays etc :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I try to try to aim for 2.5 hours per night.

But being honest my laziness gets the better of me and I only spend about an hour on study sometimes inclusive of homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

About 2 hours a night but I normally end up finishing half an hour early cause I'm a lazy sham. Considering my mocks are in two weeks I'm kinda ****ed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Haven't had time since I've been back in school after the Christmas Holidays, there's been nights (like today/tonight) I've ended up with the guts of 4 hours homework. Hopefully get some study in over the tomorrow and over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can do about 2.5 hours solid study then I take a break. But I can never seem to get back to work after the break :( At least after school study twice a week will get me a guaranteed 4 hours in after school twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

It's better than nothing. Hang in there, Piste. You'll be grand! :)

Me? I say I spend more time making plans to study than studying itself!
    I was speaking to my dad and my brother and they said they would help with my financial problems if I got over 500+ points! So, I don't have to pay for accomodation (UCD/Trinners, hopefully) out of my own savings! Great motivation, I believe. :D

Can someone give an example of study plans they use? Say, for English/History? Thanks a mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

I usually do from around 6pm-11 or so.. today I did from 5-11.30 :D including break for dinner (around 45mins) :p
    my motivation being, well... im repeating and got 40 points last year.. so I'm aiming for over 400 this year and wanna do my best basically :)

ps. I too use a plan to log and set goals for my study, it's pretty vital for me considering if I dont, I'll probably get around the 40points mark again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

Gloom wrote: »

Can someone give an example of study plans they use? Say, for English/History? Thanks a mill.

Well for me, I'm not sure this would work for others but I've been having problems(mostly timing) with hist/eng as well so for last while I've been doing an essay a day(alternating days eg. english monday, hist tues etc..), spend about 5-30mins(depends on whether I know the section well or not) beforehand writing my structure and points on a flash card, then try slam out the essay in 40mins..by the end of it the information is fairly ingrained and the time it takes for me to actually write the essays has been shortening steadily... by the time of the mocks(4 weeks) I hope to have a fairly secure bank of knowledge and a good collection of detailed essay plans should I need to look back over them..

but thats just me :D I find it impossible to take a question and instantly start waffling about it for more than 1 paragraph so I need to have praticed it all beforehand :F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Been doing 2 hours a day parents wrecking my head to do 3, be happy with 300 and up as i need **** all points for my course. O WELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Doing 4 hours a day now homework/study and then a half hour of oral.

Must stop coming on here though. Too time consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Everyone seems to be doing 3-4 hours...I would want to really start pulling my act together :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

bricky10 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be doing 3-4 hours...I would want to really start pulling my act together :(
    ye I know I don't have th e time to be doin that much... I think doin 5 hrs of study a night is WAY over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Mr.S wrote: »
    Everyone is different, don't base your studying on what your friends/other people are doing, around 2 hours each night + homework is more then fine.

Of course thats more than fine!
    When i did LC last year it was pretty much 3hrs homework every night. No time for study cept really close 2 the mocks. Plus we had mid term off b4 mocks so studied then.

See what you need to do and work around that.
    Some people need hours to do a chapter some need 30 mins.

Obviously the more you do, the betr you'll feel....assuming you do some relaxin and get ur 7 hrs sleep r watevr:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Ugh I feel like it's too late to start and I'll make a mess of the pres! I just don't know how to strcture a plan so I can give each subject enough attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Ugh I feel like it's too late to start and I'll make a mess of the pres! I just don't know how to strcture a plan so I can give each subject enough attention!

Yeah thats difficult at the start but I find by writing out exactly what you need to do, the plan becomes clearer.

For example, instead of writing down that you will study business for an hour, write down a chapter number. Do the exact same with your other subjects and see how you get on.

This method worked well for my christmas exams, but then again different strokes for different folks :D

Here's hoping it will work for the real thing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Usual, aim for 4 every night, can be up very late sometimes because of that... Weekends aren't much different to be honest. I'm a terrible procrastinator and that's just based on this week because of my sudden realisation that the Mocks, and even worse, the orals, are very soon... Need to pull myself together. Starting...in about half an hour or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

shteve wrote: »
    Yeah thats difficult at the start but I find by writing out exactly what you need to do, the plan becomes clearer.

For example, instead of writing down that you will study business for an hour, write down a chapter number. Do the exact same with your other subjects and see how you get on.

This method worked well for my christmas exams, but then again different strokes for different folks :D

Here's hoping it will work for the real thing :confused:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it, dunno how well it'll go though! :confused: Just did 3 hours of homework anyway, that's a start! Bedtime now methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

i stick to the 50 mins study, ten min break method..... i get at least 25- 30hrs per week wit that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

3 hours on a school night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DavidMyster

i do afterschool study for 2 hours which is good but im always so so tired when i get home, so depending on my mood i might do another hour max, and at the weekends i do about 3 hours in total, taking friday as my day off!

Advertisement