Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport office Cork

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

How quickly can you get a new passport (renewal) in Cork?

I have it in my head that if you have your old pasport, photos, garda stamp and money you can get it on the same day in the Passport Office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gem25x

kcb wrote: »

I have it in my head that if you have your old pasport, photos, garda stamp and money you can get it on the same day in the Passport Office?

from my experience this is true, if you go in yourself you can get it that day, if you post obviously much longer, and you can get emergency temporary passport in 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

kcb wrote: »

I was only renewing my passport in there yesterday so I've got the answer to this. You can get an emergency passport within 24hrs but you need to prove that you urgently require it. The next quickest - passport express- is ten working days and finally the standard delivery is 4-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eamon comer

i have just lost my passport and i am due to fly to paris on tuesday. im getting the bus to cork on monday as i have tried dublin passport office and they were unable to help me. I have all the required documents such as birth cert and a garda stamp saying i lost my passport. does anybody know what the chances are of me getting a passport on the same day? I'm really stuck here any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

i have just lost my passport and i am due to fly to paris on tuesday. im getting the bus to cork on monday as i have tried dublin passport office and they were unable to help me. I have all the required documents such as birth cert and a garda stamp saying i lost my passport. does anybody know what the chances are of me getting a passport on the same day? I'm really stuck here any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Interested in knowing answer to this also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It is possible to have an emergency passport issued within a couple of hours in the Cork office, I have done it, but under current circumstances I really wouldn't bank on it.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/strike-to-hit-passport-services-447794.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Bring proof of travel documents to support your claim to be traveling Tuesday and they should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I heard of people gettign cheap one way ryanair flights to speed up getting their passport. Might be worth the €5

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I've a contact in the passport office and she informs me that the proof of travel won't do for emergency any more. Basically a death in the family is the only thing that will get you a 24h passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

i needed a passport in a hurry last year, and because i didnt meet their "rules", they refused to help in any way.

Staff were very unhelpful, complaining to the manager was even more frustrating, they seemed to take pleasure in the fact that the rules, said that they were unable to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

To be honest id be all for firing all those going slow and just bringing in people from other departments to take over. Don't mind people protesting but when people like those working there act like maggots and interfere with the lives of the normal citizen then they've crossed the line.

The cheek of them to serve notice to fully strike if they dont get paid for doing sweet fúck all.Also telling people that the only way they will get a passport is if someone in their family dies is in my opinion very very ignorant and quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

To be honest id be all for firing all those going slow and just bringing in people from other departments to take over. Don't mind people protesting but when people like those working there act like maggots and interfere with the lives of the normal citizen then they've crossed the line.

The cheek of them to serve notice to fully strike if they dont get paid for doing sweet fúck all.

+1 expecting a pay rise when most people are taking cuts, wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

^ In fairness, thats BS - they're not expecting a pay rise, just a reversal of the savage pay cuts that they've been hit with in the last year. As much as people complain, only a certain percentage of private sector workers have been hit with a pay decrease, while 99% of the public sector have been hit with such a decrease. (I know there's some well-paid PS workers who weaseled out of it, but that's a disgrace)

Anyway, back on topic... I applied for one this month and got one within 11 working days. Don't know how helpful that is to you though :S Hope it all works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

^ In fairness, thats BS - they're not expecting a pay rise, just a reversal of the savage pay cuts that they've been hit with in the last year. As much as people complain, only a certain percentage of private sector workers have been hit with a pay decrease, while 99% of the public sector have been hit with such a decrease. (I know there's some well-paid PS workers who weaseled out of it, but that's a disgrace)

Anyway, back on topic... I applied for one this month and got one within 11 working days. Don't know how helpful that is to you though :S Hope it all works out for you :)

it ammounts to the same thing in fairness. I know very few people in the IT industry (private sector) who have not taken a pay cut, and a re instatement is not forthcoming. do you really know what the make up of many public sector staff's take home pay is? some get "rent allowance" towards accomodation FFS .. apologies for off topic rant:eek:

corkcomp wrote: »
    it ammounts to the same thing in fairness. I know very few people in the IT industry (private sector) who have not taken a pay cut, and a re instatement is not forthcoming. do you really know what the make up of many public sector staff's take home pay is? some get "rent allowance" towards accomodation FFS .. apologies for off topic rant:eek:

I recall a survey recently which stated that less than 50% of private sector workers got a pay cut. I could be wrong, but it's nowhere near the 99.99% of PS workers.

Anyway as much as you disagree with them, they are constitutionally allowed to strike under the right of association - the Government is the employer in this case, thats the only thing that's different about it. It just makes it more hectic because unlike a private firm, you can't go to another place that will publish passports. Anyways, I really hope the whole situation is resolved quickly for the sake of all the people waiting for passports, I could have been in that situation myself.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I recall a survey recently which stated that less than 50% of private sector workers got a pay cut. I could be wrong, but it's nowhere near the 99.99% of PS workers.

Anyway as much as you disagree with them, they are constitutionally allowed to strike under the right of association - the Government is the employer in this case, thats the only thing that's different about it. It just makes it more hectic because unlike a private firm, you can't go to another place that will publish passports. Anyways, I really hope the whole situation is resolved quickly for the sake of all the people waiting for passports, I could have been in that situation myself.. :)
    They are also constitutionally considered to be a shower of pricks, did anyone see that absolute bell-end of a union leader on Frontline last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think the op has recieved about as much info about waiting times as he'll get so might as well have a bit of discussion.
    You can say that 99.9% of PS workers have taken the cuts and that only 50% of private did but how many PS workers have lost their jobs compared to those not employed by the government.

I have no problem with their legal rights to protest and im sure they are rightly pissed off but its the attitude that they and the CPSU leaders have taken that is making everybody so annoyed. They are taking the mickey out of people that they are serving in the offices!

They are also constitutionally considered to be a shower of pricks, did anyone see that absolute bell-end of a union leader on Frontline last week?

Very enlightened argument there. Just as enlightened as your lambasting of the UCC SU on the UCC forum. I see a pattern here... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Back on topic - OP did you manage to get your passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

It seems based on the above posts that Cork isnt affected as badly as Dublin by the industrial action (Someone got their passport in 11working days).

Does anyone else know if this is the case or have gotten their passport in the month of March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mountain wrote: »
    i needed a passport in a hurry last year, and because i didnt meet their "rules", they refused to help in any way.

Staff were very unhelpful, complaining to the manager was even more frustrating, they seemed to take pleasure in the fact that the rules, said that they were unable to help.

Why didnt you just apply for it with plenty of time in advance then there wouldn't have been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

Why didnt you just apply for it with plenty of time in advance then there wouldn't have been an issue.

sounds like a public service attitude, instead of helping someone, tell them that it is their own fault. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 helen001

Anyone know why they are not answering their phones only stupid answering machines!!! really need my passport to book flights with ryanair have a college interview in 2 weeks any ideas what I should do..sent away for my passport over 3 weeks ago:mad:....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement