Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to to get an extension on your WHV?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

....without fruitpicking?

A friend of mine has got 1 month left on their WHV, she has been working as a manager in a jewelry shop for the last 6 months but is not confident they will sponser her due to current economic climate.

Any suggestions that we might have overlooked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

....without fruitpicking?

A friend of mine has got 1 month left on their WHV, she has been working as a manager in a jewelry shop for the last 6 months but is not confident they will sponser her due to current economic climate.

Any suggestions that we might have overlooked?

I'm fairly sure your three months regional work only has to start while you're on your 1st year visa, then you can get a bridging visa for the final two months (this is just what I heard best to double check it with the visa authority). If she is dead set against fruit picking, work in a roadhouse or country pub or on a farm equates to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

or even in a shop in a rural area. doesnt matter what ya do as long as its in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Nice one lads, you have given me an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

slipss wrote: »
    If she is dead set against fruit picking, work in a roadhouse or country pub or on a farm equates to the same thing.
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    or even in a shop in a rural area. doesnt matter what ya do as long as its in a rural area.

I'd love to know if that is definitely the case? Any of the official things I've read states "specified field or industry" - construction, mining, fishing, farming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

whyulittle wrote: »
    I'd love to know if that is definitely the case? Any of the official things I've read states "specified field or industry" - construction, mining, fishing, farming etc.

Yeah i noticed that yesterday to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No, you can definitely work in a petrol station etc. in the outback and be considered for a 2nd WHV. But always make sure that the area is accepted as rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye its the post code that counts.

Advertisement