Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos website information wrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

No you can't demand everything you want, your in Ireland now. It's up to the shop to tell you want price they will sell the item to you for and you can either take it or leave it. shops have the right to change prices when ever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did you have the bike reserved from online?

Argos will honour an online price if its cheaper than the in-store price on the same day.
    The price you pay is the price on that day, eg; cant reserve an item on monday at €100 and if it goes to €150 on tuesday you have to pay €150 even if reserved at cheaper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I've just returned from Argos after being told a bike advertised as being in stock and for a set price is not available until next week and is in fact not reduced. I know in America I can demand all sorts of things, primarily that they sell me the bike for the exact price it's advertised at otherwise it becomes false advertising.

Does anyone know if I can make similar demands here?

Cheers all.

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreAvailabilityView?krypto=%2BbBa2qQZIjpQbXhXcSNP9xyDlXjVSiZKJTOUyN4b4nVO89uFE6Vt6A3JL9H30pK7qjfaklelWWoF%0AASC0mvjxoHbRh7EpE%2FW7urGNxr%2FMDj9MmeAqOUavTr9IuG337mW4pmbbr2adCbI%3D&ddkey=ArgosTrolley

yeah, but this aint america, so deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

Thanks all for the advice and info. I suppose I was just peeved off a little after making a very long detour to the shop.

"No you can't demand everything you want... shops have the right to change prices when ever they want."

It wasn't actually my statement that shops should stick to one price and never change! I said instead that if a store advertises a price, even online, which is different from the price for the item in the store then there should be some room to move for the customer. I'm sorry I was so offensive to Argos, I apologise completely and hope you feel less stressed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks all for the advice and info. I suppose I was just peeved off a little after making a very long detour to the shop.

"No you can't demand everything you want... shops have the right to change prices when ever they want."

It wasn't actually my statement that shops should stick to one price and never change! I said instead that if a store advertises online a price which is different from the price for the same item in the store then there should be some room to move. I'm sorry I was so offensive to !rgos, I apologise completely and hope you feel less stressed now.

I already said that they will honour this price if its on the website. A manager will have to check the website, and then override at the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've just returned from Argos after being told a bike advertised as being in stock and for a set price is not available until next week and is in fact not reduced. I know in America I can demand all sorts of things, primarily that they sell me the bike for the exact price it's advertised at otherwise it becomes false advertising.
    i'm afraid what you "know" is incorrect
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat
    A shop owner displaying their goods for sale is generally making an invitation to treat (Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists [1953] 1 QB 401). They are not obliged to sell the goods to anyone who is willing to pay for them, even if additional signage such as "special offer" accompanies the display of the goods. (But see bait and switch.) This distinction was legally relevant in Fisher v Bell [1961] 1 QB 394, where it was held that displaying a flicknife for sale in a shop did not contravene legislation which prohibited offering for sale such a weapon. The distinction also means that if a shop mistakenly displays an item for sale at a very low price it is not obliged to sell it for that amount [1].

Advertisement