Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a house you don't own

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Primetime on the TV now...

Family in council house now, paying €800 a month for a house they don't own, for the next 10 years. They had taken out a 100% mortgage, and when they went to sell their house, everyone else was.

Was wondering, what gives? Also, why would they have to keep paying €800 a month for the next 10 years ... €96,000 the interest, or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

No idea. Was there any other details. What do you mean they got a 100% mortgage? If they got a mortgage, surely they used this to buy the house???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think this phenomenon is known as 'rent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

dotsman wrote: »
    No idea. Was there any other details. What do you mean they got a 100% mortgage? If they got a mortgage, surely they used this to buy the house???

Can you reword this so I can understand wtf you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

No, I got the impression they had to sell the property as they couldn't make the repayments. But the house is now worth less than they paid for it so there was a shortfall between what they owed the bank and what they got from the sale, which is costing them €800 a month over ten years to pay back.

i.e. The not very nice world of negative equity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can you reword this so I can understand wtf you are saying?

:confused:
    No idea.
    I have no idea "why would they have to keep paying €800 a month for the next 10 years"
    Was there any other details.
    Was there any other details given out on the program to help me determine why they might be paying this money (as the OP contains insufficient detail to determine a correct answer)?
    What do you mean they got a 100% mortgage? If they got a mortgage, surely they used this to buy the house???
    Th OP mentions that they got a 100% mortgage. Therefore, I would have assumed that they do own the house. However the OP also states otherwise ("paying €800 a month for a house they don't own) - therefore I am very confused.

Fortunately, eclectichoney (who also apparently saw the show) has since suggested that they did own it, but subsequently sold it and that the €800 is to pay off the resulting negative equity. If this is the case, it makes the original post a lot clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, I got the impression they had to sell the property as they couldn't make the repayments. But the house is now worth less than they paid for it so there was a shortfall between what they owed the bank and what they got from the sale, which is costing them €800 a month over ten years to pay back.

i.e. The not very nice world of negative equity :(
    Ah. That explains it. Was totally confused why they'd be paying that money for a house they didn't live in.

Advertisement