Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Results 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

A1 in Chemistry!- delighted with it

A2 in Irish-Kinda expected it cos the exam went fairly well

B1 in Business, History and French-Happy with all of them really.Thought i might have done a bit better in business though but very pleased with french!

C1 in Maths-Didnt think i would be counting it but happy with it since i put more work into other subjects

C3 in English-Thinking about appealing now.

Overall happy with 515!Get my arts cours in UL

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I got that higher B in maths that I was looking for!!!

I should be off to UCC to do Financial Maths fairly soon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I got 600:D I'm shocked, absolutely shocked. I was expecting around 500! I'm going for medicine so fingers crossed :)

A2 in Irish... Definitely a typo. I didn't even do the Stair question at all! And I only studied the night before :eek:

A1 in English... Didn't expect this at all. I thought Paper Two went really really badly!

A1 in Maths... Delighted :D I worked very hard at this subject so I feel I earned it... Wasn't crazy about Paper Two (esp. that block of cheese thing, wtf?!) but it all worked out in the end...

A1 in History... Something like nine people in our class got this :eek:

A2 in Business... This was the only subject I felt I had a guaranteed A1 in! Oh well, I ain't gonna complain!

A1 in French... Ouais! Wasn't expecting that but, y'know...

A1 in Chem... :D

A1 in Music... Another big surprise. I did this outside school so definitely didn't expect an A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Here's what I got:

Irish (O) D1....Hoping for a D3, oh well...

English (H) A1....I kind of expected it but seeing it on the page was great nonetheless.

Mathematics (H) B1....I was really surprised by this. I'm an A1 student usually. Probably because I neglected that simple vectors question, don't ask.

Physics (H) A1....No surprises here.

Biology (H) A1.....Ditto physics comment.

Economics (H) B2....Serious dissapointment. Definitely appealing, as I expected at least an A2.

DCG (H) A2.....A very just result.

Overall it's a 555 total. Pretty good considering I got 425 in the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I got that higher B in maths that I was looking for!!!

I should be off to UCC to do Financial Maths fairly soon:D

Oh Christ when I went to the UCC open day last year and attended a financial maths open day lecture, the dutch guy by the name of Hanzon me remembers droning on about the course and I was like stfu. He didnt answer anybody's question.!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 lil_dee

Business studies in UL anyone? :cool:

yep see ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

eoins2345 wrote: »
    A1 in Chemistry!- delighted with it

A2 in Irish-Kinda expected it cos the exam went fairly well

B1 in Business, History and French-Happy with all of them really.Thought i might have done a bit better in business though but very pleased with french!

C1 in Maths-Didnt think i would be counting it but happy with it since i put more work into other subjects

C3 in English-Thinking about appealing now.

Overall happy with 515!Get my arts cours in UL

Me too! See ya there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

Just a Quick Question,

Got 375:DBrillant for me personally, I had put Business in DCU done as a long shot it was 410 last year. I Qualify for the HEAR Scheme so is there a long shot i could make the cut?

Highly un-likely i know but just out of intrest.

Thanks in advance,

Mícheál

what business is it?i've applied for the full blown business (dc111).i got 400 points so hopefully that will be enough to get me in.

your points could go down by that much but i am not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Oh no, no I don't need another language, not for Trinity. :D Don't worry about me.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rowtowin

Totally shocked with my 555! I needed around 500 and wasnt even sure if Id get that!

English=a1....nearly fell over when i saw it
    Maths=a2....up from a c3 in the mocks
    Accounting=a2....surprised because i thought i messed it up
    Business=a2.....very happy!
    Geography=a1......thrilled!
    Spanish=b1.....couldnt have wished for more!
    Irish(o)=b1.....actually thought id failed it because i didnt do a tap

Anyone heading to accounting in ucc???:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    lol what :D

i mean for a Leaving Cert to be a legit don't you have to do as they call it a 'European' Language. I thought it was just accepted that you studied French(or Spanish/Italian/Polish or whatever)
    No this is a total misconception. The reason most students do a European language is due to some collages having it as a requirement as they receive funding from the EU.

Some schools will because of this set timetables out so that students must do one of these languages. For the Leaving Certificate however there is no requirement for students to do European language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Isaac702 wrote: »
    No this is a total misconception. The reason most students do a European language is due to some collages having it as a requirement as they receive funding from the EU.

Some schools will because of this set timetables out so that students must do one of these languages. For the Leaving Certificate however there is no requirement for students to do European language.

Yes, but i think the point is that you can't get into college without a European language...? I know they're not technically compulsory (nor are Maths and English, interestingly enough) but they're an entry requirement almost everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

3rd language is needed for all the NUIs, but not for Trinity.
    Not sure what the sceal is with ITs, it could be the same there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Delighted with results got 570. Eclipsed my wildest dreams.

Gaelige (O) B1 - About right
    English (H) A1 - F'ing delighted always was a B student
    Maths (H) A2 - Very satisfied, a just result
    Construction (H) A1 - Delighted
    DCG (H) A1 - Felt exam went well so kinda expected
    Physics (H) A1 - Thrilled as I thought the exam could have gone better
    French (H) B2 - Happiest about this as I got a C3 in the pre

Should have enough for Computer Aided Engineering and Design In UL. Anyone doing this or mechanical engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

English - A1 - I was totally totally shocked. Really did not feel that I had achieved that. I was hoping for a B2 especially considering how Macbeth went and how I left out Unseen Poetry! :eek: I'm not complaining but I was amazed.

Irish - B1 - Again I was totally shocked. I had given up on the idea of succeeding in Irish and a month beforehand I had reached capacity with learning things off so I bluffed my entire 2nd paper with very little correct Irish. Delighted and loved my oral and tape.

Maths [OL] - A1 - Really surprised as I was hoping for a B. Always mess up in Maths and really needed a push to succeed. Found bits of paper challenging but very pleased that for once I came out on top of Maths!

German - A2- Great!Only subject I stayed consistent at. Love it and will be a major part of my degree. Pity I couldn't push it up to the A1 but I'm still delighted and don't want to risk the recheck.

Economics - A2 - Biggest jump gradewise. Went from C2 in Pre's to A2. Loved the subject but always found exam technique very important and difficult. Just went my way on the day and couldn't be more pleased

History - B2 - Biggest surprise ever. I was sure of a D. Did a great project and documents question which I crammed in. All three essays were disastrous. Never sat a worse paper. Finished none of them - Did a page and a half in 10 mins for the European question. So glad though I reckon there must have been some generous corrector.

Geography - A2 - Very very very very pleased. Always found Geog interesting but confusing in regards to exam layout and questions. Worst worry was the Biome question as we made a muck up of it in class and I crammed like **** beforehand for that question. Just glad to have achieved that.I really really am.

So overall I achieved 535 and you can probably tell I've never been so surprised in all my life!
    Only aimed at 450 would have been lucky to get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MichealConroy

what business is it?i've applied for the full blown business (dc111).i got 400 points so hopefully that will be enough to get me in.

your points could go down by that much but i am not 100% sure

-(DC111)- That's the one, Hopefully HEAR Scheme will help me out, My guidance consellor said a student from 2 years ago got in 75points lower than the 1st round offers through it in DCU, so here's hopeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claire!!!

got 435.....fairly happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

600 points....im still in shock....

Eng (h) A1
    Irish (h) A1
    French (h) A1
    German (h) A1
    Bio (h) A1
    Chem (h) A1
    Maths (h) A2

came outta maths crying, thought id failed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alan hooly

i was delighted with my 430 but reading this thread has made me feel bad about my result lol.. theres alot of smart people out there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

-(DC111)- That's the one, Hopefully HEAR Scheme will help me out, My guidance consellor said a student from 2 years ago got in 75points lower than the 1st round offers through it in DCU, so here's hopeing.

i might see you down there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

alan hooly wrote: »
    i was delighted with my 430 but reading this thread has made me feel bad about my result lol.. theres alot of smart people out there haha

430 is a WELL above average result.
    The 'average' is round about 300 or so.
    Don't take boards.ie as representative of the general student body.
    Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Yeah I read the national average is somewhere closer to 220.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It could well be that low. There's also the fairly large percentage of people starting first year who do not make it to do a Leaving Cert at all and indeed some who do not do a Junior Cert..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

spurious wrote: »
    430 is a WELL above average result.
    The 'average' is round about 300 or so.
    Don't take boards.ie as representative of the general student body.
    Congratulations.
    Exactly,anyone who got under 300 is not going to brag on boards.

:( (take note I didnt give you my points score)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Megabot

English - A1: I have never gotten an A in english, let alone an a1!!.. i thought i got a C and was not planning on counting it!

Irish - B2: My worst result but much better than i expected!! Gave up on Irish in March, just didn't get round to dropping down

Maths - A1: Couldn't believe it! Got 45% in my mock, got 4 grinds and got this! So shocked as my friend got an A2 and she is brilliant at maths

German - A2: So glad.. thought i got a B! Messed up the composition at the end coz i ran out of time, think my oral brought me up! I got the Rauchen bildergeschichte..woohoo!

Business - A2: If there was one subject i was to get an a1 in, it would be business! But alas i got an a2.. :P wont bother with an appeal, but i seriously couldnt pinpoint where i could have gone wrong on that paper!

Biology - A1: Fooked up the short questions but the long ones were ok! Very happy but I worked hard at biology so definately paid off! Nice subject!

Physics - B1: 3 people in our class, 2 got b1s and one got an a1! About right really, love the subject :P

Overall 565.. i wasnt sure i'd get over 500 so its an understatement to say that i was shocked! :) Well done everyone, so many people have done so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paved_paradise

I got 375 and was delighted i was certain i failed maths but my some miralce(generous corrector)i didnt fail. Last yearss points for Arts in NUI Galway were 345 so i hope ive enough!!:D:Dcant wait nyone else for Arts in Galway! roll on corrib village!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Herp16

I repeated this year and could not b happier that i did....got 180 points last year and this year i got 395:)....repeating is not as bad as u think...besides the work the year is a laugh for going out and stuff:p??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Irish (O) B1
    English (H) B3
    Maths (H) C1
    German (O) B2
    Geography (H) C1
    Chemistry (H) C2
    Accounting (H) B2

405 points. Absolutely delighted with that. I'm a bit disappointed with Geography and Chemistry (in particular) and I'll probably get them looked at again. Having said that, though, I did not expect to get what I got in English (First B ever!), Maths or Accounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

that not 400 points?mightnt make any difference at al:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

eoins2345 wrote: »
    that not 400 points?mightnt make any difference at al:pac:

well spotted!!! out of interest how many peoples points have you totted up here and elsewhere or was that the first one.I always take peoples word for it that they totted them right. Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting

Advertisement