Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Results 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LancerBoy08

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Can't be arsed actually going to check, so I may be wrong about these

Maths (H) - A1 - 100
    Physics (H) - B2 - 80
    Chemistry (H) - B3 - 75
    DCG (H) - C1 - 70
    Applied Maths (H) - D2 - 50
    English (O) - A2 - 50
    French (O) - B2 - 40
    Irish (O) - C2 - 25

425 points.
    Course I went for has been 300 for past few years.
    Its really weird how some people can be so strong at some subjects (higher maths A1) and so much weaker at others(ordinary irish C2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

As far as I know it is extremely rare, 0.04% chance for a female to be unable to distinguish a blue colour. 'It is very rare for males or females to be "blind" to the blue end of the spectrum. Quote from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_blind#Prevalence

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lol @ pathway33! :D

Jeez, some people around here need to develop a sense of humour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

sorry it just i hate liars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Lol @ pathway33! :D

Jeez, some people around here need to develop a sense of humour!!

A sense of humour seems to get you banned or infracted on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

JSK 252 wrote: »
    A sense of humour seems to get you banned or infracted on this forum.
    A bit of humour in an appropriate context is never unwelcome, certainly as far as I'm concerned.

Insulting people, mocking people, taking the pish out of people who are in a panic ... that type of "humour" is not acceptable.

(Please note that that is a general comment and not aimed at you in particular, JSK. I am unaware of any particular problems pertaining to your sense of humour and this forum, but if you feel you have a grievance about something please take it to PM or Helpdesk, this is not the appropriate place to discuss it, thanks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

A bit of humour in an appropriate context is never unwelcome, certainly as far as I'm concerned.

Insulting people, mocking people, taking the pish out of people who are in a panic ... that type of "humour" is not acceptable.

(Please note that that is a general comment and not aimed at you in particular, JSK. I am unaware of any particular problems pertaining to your sense of humour and this forum, but if you feel you have a grievance about something please take it to PM or Helpdesk, this is not the appropriate place to discuss it, thanks.)

Well thats good to hear and I aim to keep it that way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Its really weird how some people can be so strong at some subjects (higher maths A1) and so much weaker at others(ordinary irish C2)

Oh not really. Looking at my own year,

600 points - C3 in ordinary Irish

580 points - C1 in ordinary Irish

560 points - D1 in ordinary Irish

These people know it's going to be a hard subject to get a high grade in, and they realise that they don't even need a high grade. In fact, they only really need a pass at ordinary level for most things. If you have 6-8 other subjects at higher level, and you want to do well in all of them, and you knew you could simply pass ordinary Irish without too much effort, why would you try? Many other people do the exact same thing with maths and English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paperglue

Piste wrote: »
    The maddening this about my results is if I did the LC last year I could have had my pick of college for medicine, because of the HPAT it's unlikely I'll get in :(

Me too its sickening!! got 600 points and its unlikely that i will get into med....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

snazzy wrote: »
    History - B2 - Biggest surprise ever. I was sure of a D. Did a great project and documents question which I crammed in. All three essays were disastrous. Never sat a worse paper. Finished none of them - Did a page and a half in 10 mins for the European question. So glad though I reckon there must have been some generous corrector.

This annoys me!!

Are you really genuine about this account of your exam?? I felt i had a really great project too. The documents question i knew loads about came up and i was delighted with my essays. Wrote 5 and a half to 6 pages for each....i got a b3!!

I know its not a bad result an i shudn b complainin but im likely to miss my course by about 10 points!!:mad: To be honest i'm a bit peeved to hear u got a b2 (i'm a bad person:()...are u exaggerating slightly??

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I'm really really sorry if that annoys you. :(
    I can totally understand where you are coming from.

But unfortunately I really am not exaggerating.
    It's the single worst paper I've ever sat.
    I did the Propaganda European Q and left only 10 minutes so wrote down ever SRS I could [German and Italian, didn't have time for Russia]
    I did the CnaG/FF question though I only really knew the CnaG bit so I probably got most of my marks there and I can't remember the first section but personally on the day, I felt I did badly. While I wrote 4 -5 pages for the latter 2 essays I didn't get to the conclusion. However I felt that my project was excellent and I loved the documents question.

I don't mean to sound pompous and I certainly do not want to give the idea that I'm exaggerating to heighten my grade but I was so surprised at my result, I am going to view my script.

I can understand why you are peeved and if you feel you did better [which it sounds as if you did] you should really get it rechecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

This annoys me!!

Are you really genuine about this account of your exam?? I felt i had a really great project too. The documents question i knew loads about came up and i was delighted with my essays. Wrote 5 and a half to 6 pages for each....i got a b3!!

I know its not a bad result an i shudn b complainin but im likely to miss my course by about 10 points!!:mad: To be honest i'm a bit peeved to hear u got a b2 (i'm a bad person:()...are u exaggerating slightly??

Longevity does not equate to extra marks. In History and many other subjects, quality trumps quantity every time. (I have learnt this myself to my cost on more than one occasion.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe you had to answer from what you knew of History, making up your essay on the day, which is how we used to do it in the old days. Perhaps all your points were relevant, which they might not have been in a learned off essay.
    Or maybe someone added things up incorrectly? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I was surprised by my HC1 in history but I figure my project brought me up. I definitely think the content is more important than the length because if that wasn't the case I'd have failed..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

wait guys im confused, did that guy really sit all ordinary papers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

No. He was being hilarious. Too hilarious to be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

oh right...tbh its just way over my head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

snazzy wrote: »
    I'm really really sorry if that annoys you. :(
    I can totally understand where you are coming from.

But unfortunately I really am not exaggerating.
    It's the single worst paper I've ever sat.
    I did the Propaganda European Q and left only 10 minutes so wrote down ever SRS I could [German and Italian, didn't have time for Russia]
    I did the CnaG/FF question though I only really knew the CnaG bit so I probably got most of my marks there and I can't remember the first section but personally on the day, I felt I did badly. While I wrote 4 -5 pages for the latter 2 essays I didn't get to the conclusion. However I felt that my project was excellent and I loved the documents question.

I don't mean to sound pompous and I certainly do not want to give the idea that I'm exaggerating to heighten my grade but I was so surprised at my result, I am going to view my script.

I can understand why you are peeved and if you feel you did better [which it sounds as if you did] you should really get it rechecked!

I feel the same way. It was by far the worst history exam I have sat to date. My project was quite good and my Doc. question was alright, but I only managed to finish 2 very dodgey essays and do an opening paragraph for the other. Thought I would only get a C3 at a push but somehow managed a B2! Im going to view the paper out of sheer disbelief as I don't see how I managed a B2.

• Advertisement

I got an A1 in higher History and my 3 essays were just over 3 pages each, so quality is definitely more important than quantity. Many examiners recognise a learned off essay immediately and usually dock marks out of 40 as a result, so possibly this is what cost some people??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

does anyone know when the marking schemes will be available on examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Thanks for responding!!:)...i'm just kinda disheartened as i've heard of a lot of people been really suprised by how well they did in History when i've been the opposite:(...I never learn off essays, i dnt think it works (for History or English) an i felt i answered wat they wer askin an i was lucky that i had loadsa facts for the essays asked.I will be appealin anyway hopefully it'll work out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This annoys me!!

I feel exactly the same as you. My history exam went great, I wrote three brilliant essays and had a great document question, my Research topic was perfect and I only got a B2! On the other hand, girls in my class that had been failing since fifth year and didn't even do a research topic got Cs!

The marking seems so unfair and so random, I'm really unhappy about it.

I've no doubt everyone did a near perfect research topic which would have given them 19-20%.I used to always find I'd write an essay which I thought was A1 standard, but I would only get a low B for what my teacher would say not explicitly dealing with the question title. Perhaps this is why people didnt do as well as they thought???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've no doubt everyone did a near perfect research topic which would have given them 19-20%.I used to always find I'd write an essay which I thought was A1 standard, but I would only get a low B for what my teacher would say not explicitly dealing with the question title. Perhaps this is why people didnt do as well as they thought???

You will lose almost all marks in History if you do not answer the question asked. That's why the old way (not learning off essays) generally scores better.

I know how an essay is graded, and all of mine were packed with fact and detail. I answered what was asked and put forward my arguments well.

Ah well, I'm getting a recheck so I guess I'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

almostover wrote: »
    does anyone know when the marking schemes will be available on examinations.ie
    After all the rechecks and appeals and whatnot.:D Probably lookin at late October/November

phasers wrote: »
    I know how an essay is graded, and all of mine were packed with fact and detail. I answered what was asked and put forward my arguments well.

Ah well, I'm getting a recheck so I guess I'll see
    If your essays were as good as you say, 8 paragraphs each answering the question, relevant and factual, then I've no idea why you didnt get what you hoped for. Good luck with the recheck. What essays did you do btw?

• Advertisement

If your essays were as good as you say, 8 paragraphs each answering the question, relevant and factual, then I've no idea why you didnt get what you hoped for. Good luck with the recheck. What essays did you do btw?

I hope the recheck goes well. I said that I wouldn't bother getting any but I really feel I deserved better than a B2.

I did Treaty negotiations, Parnell V Butt and Dictators using terror and propaganda.

Advertisement