Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have 7.1 amp & blueray, need speaker recommendation

• 14-01-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys (& girls if applicable)

I have a BlueRay & a 7.1 amp (Samsung AV720 & Samsung BD1500) I'm currently using a satellite speaker setup (sony) with 7 speakers in play (bought 2 extra on ebay). I'm ashamed to say using the most basic type of cable possible.

This wasn't an issue before the BD & extra 2 speakers, but while the sound is ok, I think it could be a lot better.

I'm looking for a recommendation for initially a set of fronts & centre, that I can then add surround to (voicematched) when finances allow.

I've been doing a little investigating & keep see dipole or bipole speakers mentioned. not sure what this is, but would it be better for surround sound ? The amp is also connected to a CD player but I would imagine I would only use the front pair in stereo for that.

The room they'll be going into is fairly small (approx 15x13) so the seating position is back against the wall.

Any advise or recommendations gratefully accepted. Price (unfortunately) is a consideration

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

iMax,

Bipole or dipole speakers are normally for surround duties, designed to create a widespread soundfield.

Unless a system is uite high-end, there is very little likely impact from changing speaker cable, 79 strand or better from the likes of Maplins should do fine.

As for suggestions for your front three, the budget is really the issue. For example, Mordaunt Short 902i for the L and R and a 905i for the centre is about £230 from Richersounds would be a good quality start and you could address the surrounds at a later stage.

Alternatively you could consider a set of Tannoy SFX5.1 which have attracted favourable reports here as a full set from them at £150, and see if they could add two further satellites to bring it up to 7.1 now or at a later stage.

Hope that helps,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks Ritz. The 902i/905i are appealing. Would also have to budget for stands. Do they have a matching set of bipoles do you know ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The 903is should be a good match - see http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&sub=31&productid=557

You could give them a ring and ask them for some advice as well - they're a helpful lot, they do free delivery for Boards members so tell then you came from here, and no harm to ask them if they would do a deal for you.

It's worth mentioning to you to consider the sub you're using at the moment, I assume its the one which came with the Sony package. I think it's the best approach to improve a system incrementally as budget allows and it will definitely improve your overall sound if you factor in upgrading the sub into your overall plans.

Ritz.

Thanks again ritz. Do you know if they go on stands or on the wall ?

Unfortunately the TV (42" Plasma) is in the corner, far from my ideal position. Which means the fronts & centre would be there too. would that make a difference ?

I might just wait & get a complete set together rather than some now, some in six months. would hate for them to be unavailable then.

Another quick question Ritz, My amp is 4 Ohms, I'm looking at a set of speakers that are 6. Is that ok ?

• Advertisement

the speakers at 6ohm will represent a slightly higher load for the amp than a set of 4ohm speakers, but I wouldn't worry about it - it shouldn't represent an overload for the amp unless you were running the amp at full tilt for extended periods and you were simultaneously extremely unlucky ! !

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I bought these guys about 6 months ago and there great

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2752

Oooohhh they look VERY nice. Is there a matching dipole & subwoofer you can get for them ?

I fiddeled around with the sound last night & am a bit happier today, I have two speakers miswired which may be throwing things off slightly. Waiting on some banana plugs to arrive before I go about rewiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

You can pick up some great speakers on adverts in the electronics section from time to time. A pair of Missions floorstanders not too dissimilar to those linked to above went there today for around the 100 euro mark. There is a celestion centre available there too at the moment.

You'll get more for you're money going down this route and as speakers generally don't degrade over time (if they are well looked after) they will sound as good if not better then when purchased from new, being well broken in and all that.

Mission, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale & Kef are all pretty decent brands and would be worth looking at. Its another option for you anyway. On the speaker cable, I went for QED micro and its pretty decent for the price. 10M cost in or around 30 euro's on Ebay from some lad in Enniscorthy. A fairly inexpensive upgrade to begin with perhaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement