Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card application - utility bill??

Options
  • 14-01-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi, recently I filled out an online credit card application with my bank (with them over 10 years), happy days, received the hard copy today to sign and send away.

Part of the requirements (besides a driving licence, payslip and previous bank statements) are a copy of passport and a utility bill.

My passport is expired I believe (I actually am planning on going on holiday this year so I will be renewing this) but will I need an "in date" one to copy and send off or can I just send a copy of the one I have now?

For the utility bill they accept gas/electricity/phone but no mobile phone bill (I rent a room in a house and the mobile is the only bill I get) Can I provide anything instead of this?

This is my first credit card (regret not getting one as a student now :( probably would have been easier).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What bank is this? It seems a bit excessive!

Typically, they only need either a copy of a driving license or passport.

On the proof of residence, it is common to request a utility bill as that definitely ties you to the address. For a bank statement/mobile phone bill or any other bill that's not for something associated with the residence, the problem is that, if you were a fraudster, you could just have temporarily changed your bank account/mobile phone address to, say, your friends place.

I'd give them a ring and explain the situation. You are not the first person to not have a utility bill (as a sizable minority of renters are in this boat). Is your current account already with this bank? If so, if they can see that they have been posting the statement to that address for some time (and if your mobile phone bill has been posted to that address for some time), it should satisfy them.

Ultimately, this is because of the Criminal Justice Act, whereby all financial institutes must be 100% certain (and retain the evidence) that someone is who they say they are (to combat money laundering/fraud etc). How each bank applies this policy differs slightly - some are stricter than others, but all certainly need some of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

what bank is it with. it all seems a little much, previous statements, proof of address and 1 form of photo id is usually enough maybe payslips or employer reference but if your salary is mandated to your account then not really needed.

They wont accept an out of date passport any more than a border guard would as it is no longer valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'd rather not say which bank it is, though I will say that the hard copy says you need a driving licence AND a passport (I wonder what people who can't drive do when applying for this :confused:)

But like I say it's my day to day bank of whom I've been with more than 10 years. I changed my address with them when I moved out a while back so my statements get sent to my current address too.

Actually I've just had a brainwave, do you think that either of the following would do in place of the utility bill

- copy of car insurance certificate?
    - copy of motor tax document (you know the one the tax disc attaches to?)
    - tax balancing statements/P60?

I'll ring them tomorrow to see if they'd accept these instead but do you think any of these would be good? They all have my address on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Velocitee wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I'd rather not say which bank it is, though I will say that the hard copy says you need a driving licence AND a passport (I wonder what people who can't drive do when applying for this :confused:)

But like I say it's my day to day bank of whom I've been with more than 10 years. I changed my address with them when I moved out a while back so my statements get sent to my current address too.

Actually I've just had a brainwave, do you think that either of the following would do in place of the utility bill

I'll ring them tomorrow to see if they'd accept these instead but do you think any of these would be good? They all have my address on them.

Tax documentation should, theoretically, be fine. It'll be up to the bank themselves to confirm. Don't know why you can't name the bank? Chances are there are plenty of posters here who will have dealt with the same bank and be able to tell you what documentation they used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Velocitee wrote: »

Your bank statements will suffice to prove your address.

The Motor Tax document or your Cert of Tax credits will also do, but they have to be dated recently, within the last two months I think. A household utility bill would have to be dated within the last month.

I am not sure about the P60 or the car insurance documentation, I don't think they qualify, but they might :)

It should be passport OR driving licence, and will have to be in date.

If the CC company is with the same bank then your branch can confirm to the CC dept that you have been known to them for x number of years etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement