Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Kerr

• 14-01-2009 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

How does this man have a job as a panelist?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is he on Setanta or Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Setanta. Any panelist who refers to League One as Division One really shouldn't be covering the FA Cup, or English football in general. And his analysis is generally the bare bones at best.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He couldn't be any worse than Lou Macari, I suppose...

Haha I suppose. Setanta in general is a bit of a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Could he be worse than Pat Dolan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DSB wrote: »
    How does this man have a job as a panelist?
    Because he knows an awful lot about football. Ignore his accent and mixing up a few names. He's one of the few pundits I actually want to hear the opinion of. It wasn't his lack of football knowledge that lost him the Ireland job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Because he knows an awful lot about football. Ignore his accent and mixing up a few names. He's one of the few pundits I actually want to hear the opinion of. It wasn't his lack of football knowledge that lost him the Ireland job.

I knew you'd defend him.

Knew it.

you are right though, he was shafted by the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He is brutal on the english game. I remember Brian Little looking at him in shock just before Xmas on Setanta. Fat Pat talks tripe most of the time. Setanta have awful coverage to be honest. I heard that its a cheapo operation run mostly by students if you believe the satellite forum.

He should take up a role as a written journalist then, he can not put himself across well at all using verbal speech, and I don't just mean because of his accent. And I don't agree with you that he is all that insightful anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I never tire of watching this:

The sausage rolls line cracks me up every time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone who is criticising Brian Kerr as an expert on football needs to go and learn a bit about football.

As said earlier forget the few mix ups of names and that rubbish and listen to what the man says and you might actually learn something about the game.

And guys, stop the Ireland job stuff. It sill hurts to remember the way he got shafted and then futher insulted with the replacement.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anyone who is criticising Brian Kerr as an expert on football needs to go and learn a bit about football.

As said earlier forget the few mix ups of names and that rubbish and listen to what the man says and you might actually learn something about the game.

Do you actually think you're some sort of football expert or something?

Do you actually think you're some sort of football expert or something?
    no. but Brian Kerr is.

no. but Brian Kerr is.

On Irish football yes. On English football he is most certainly not. My gawd just watch him on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Was always a keen Brian Kerr fan. He's an easy person to dislike if you really wanna nitpick, but personally I think he's highly astute.

League One/Division One = Tomayto/Tomaaato. The renaming of Division 1 to 'The Championship' was a silly move anyway, can hardly blame the old school heads for getting that wrong (do it meself regularly).

He should take up a role as a written journalist then
    I don't know if he still writes for the Times but here's a couple of old articles.

Preview vs Wales:
    Occasion should inspire home victory

Unless Ireland pick up six points from these two games our interests in qualifying will all but disintegrate, ensuring we become bit-part players for the remaining group fixtures. A situation Ireland have not encountered since the 1986 World Cup qualifying campaign.

That's a depressing regression of over 20 years.

Despite the fact that we gained seven points from the last three games, six of these were against San Marino. Irrelevant.

What is now required is a repeat of the Czech Republic performance. It's a similar build-up. The media and public are seeking a blood-letting after the San Marino disaster. Player commitment is under scrutiny.

The rugby matches have taken some weight off the significance of playing in Croke Park but I still expect a genuine sense of occasion this afternoon.

While it's a unique game for anyone interested in Irish soccer, unfortunately, unlike the rugby situation where the team is in good health and a healthy level of expectancy exists, we are at a low ebb.

There was a misjudged risk taken at the fixtures meeting before this campaign when the FAI and Steve Staunton agreed to play the first two qualifiers away from home. A silly decision especially considering a new squad was being facilitated by an inexperienced manager. It proved disastrous as we lost to Germany and Cyprus.

The team and managements are in a backs-against-the-wall scenario today. They must achieve something more tangible than the, albeit, morale boosting draw with the Czechs. That was a weakened Irish team who stepped up admirably on the night. Besides the absence of the two Reids, Andy and Steven, this will be a full-strength line-up.

As this is the strongest side Staunton has fielded, the wriggle room for excuses is getting tighter.

Looking at the event from a historical viewpoint, I don't envisage the players shredding any tears during the anthems (like big John Hayes against England) or becoming overly emotional at all.

Unlike the rugby team the footballers don't live amongst their community. The downside of living abroad is they sometimes fail to grasp the importance of it all. The rugby team, again a valid contrast, admitted to being swallowed up by the enormity of the hype-machine leading into the French game. It impacted negatively on the performance. But the bubble inhabited by British-based players is actually of benefit as their remoteness should ensure a greater focus on individual duties.

Many of the starting XI have experienced a similar environment before as Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Ian Harte, Kevin Kilbane and Steve Finnan all featured at the 2002 World Cup.

The rest of the team are hardly short of maturity either. Just look at the consistency of Kevin Doyle at Reading.

Keane, as captain, really needs to produce a quality performance on a level of his recent Tottenham form. Granted, international level is full of scheming defenders so Robbie will always be well marked.

I was disappointed to hear the criticism by Richard Dunne this week. Particularly as he was a player whose career I helped to advance at underage level. Unfortunately, his complaints about visiting hospitals on the day prior to games and complaints about excessive team meetings are inaccurate and unimpressive.

The comments are typical of the malaise that afflicts the majority of modern-day soccer players (not all of the Irish team I must say).

It's a shame that they resent taking 25 minutes out of a day to visit sick people in hospital or attend an occasional team meeting that interferes with their PlayStation or pool table games.

In my first year as Ireland manager after two hospital visits we abandoned any further trips due to the whinging of some squad members. But anything seems to go these days.

The team? Only the manager, and those really close to him, know the complete form of the squad - if they are doing their jobs properly - so the selection should be respected.

What we are yet to see is a Staunton style of play. A developed pattern. Due to injuries, he was forced to adopt a 4-5-1 system against the Czechs but that proved effective on the night due to individual's enthusiasm to make it work. That's what it always comes back to really. Player motivation.

The 4-4-2 is his preferred choice, even away to Germany, where, again, it was effective. Nothing worked against Cyprus in an unacceptable performance. At least the midfield balance was realigned thereafter with Lee Carsley coming back from the cold. Stephen Ireland still requires a hunter gatherer alongside him.

The Welsh are missing several key players in Danny Gabbidon, Mark Delaney, Jason Koumas and Robbie Earnshaw. Their squad depth is poor so those stepping in are not up to much. I'd expect John Toshack to employ a 4-5-1 formation with the mercurial Craig Bellamy looking to test the positional senses of John O'Shea and Dunne. He'll also drift right to expose Harte's lack of pace. As will Simon Davies.

Ryan Giggs will play off Bellamy in a creative role. It's good that such a fine player is gracing the first soccer international at Croke Park. The much sought after Southampton defender Gareth Bale is another decent prospect.

Toshack is a wise tactician who has spent enough time in Ireland to have a decent insight into the Irish players. He will have specifically designed plans to curtail the influence of Keane and Duff.

There were three friendly's against the Welsh throughout the 1990s under Jack Charlton and they all descended into scrappy battles more typical of an English division one encounter than international football. Granted, the Croke Park surface is of a better quality than Tolka, the RDS and Lansdowne but player familiarity will constrict against an open entertaining game.

With the occasion that's in it, and the historical connotations, Ireland can generate enough inspiration to win.

Or they will simply have too much quality for the Welsh. Either way nothing short of victory will satisfy the loyalty of the Irish public.
    © 2007 The Irish Times

Preview vs Slovakia:
    Victory is ours if the right boxes are ticked

The intense criticism of Steve Staunton may have contributed to him breaking my pitch side press conference record this week. Halved it! Fair play to Stan as it was something I thought I would take to the grave. In my defence I was rushing to catch a plane to Cyprus.

Despite the media scrutiny, public frustration will disintegrate tonight if a performance of substance yields three points; but without an improvement a mindless draw is a distinct possibility against this weakened Slovakian outfit.

A lot of the squad's public comments in the last few days have focused on the confidence generated by gaining 10 points out of a possible 12 and the possibility of four successive wins. But the overwhelming feeling within the camp would be relief.

It is always about winning.

The squad will attempt to cut themselves off from the media but it remains difficult even in the bubble of high security hotel life.

Inadvertently, Lee Carsley heaped more pressure on the manager this week. Lee is a great bloke who has the admiration of all the players and staff mainly because he makes the most of his talent through an insatiable dedication to his craft. A good guy within the group, which is something the public wouldn't have noticed.

I didn't know him when I first came into the Irish job but I immediately discovered an honest, decent man. He pulled out - stating he wanted to concentrate on regaining a starting place at Everton. I was well fixed for midfielders at the time with Roy, Liam Miller, Colin Healy and Matty Holland so he had become a fringe player.

What really impressed me was he said "if you ever need me just call and I'll come back in straight away".

A pleasure to work with and loyal so it is so strange that he became embroiled in separate controversies through belated selection against the Czech Republic and now his suggestion that there was a lack of detail in match preparations before the Welsh game.

When there are two games so close together the coaching staff tends to concentrate primarily on the first game so it is not surprising the players have displayed very little knowledge of the opposition.

In my experience of Slovakia at underage (the under-19s' European Championship third place play-off in 2002. They beat us 2-1. My St Pat's team also met Slovan Bratislava in Europe), they are proud players with a strong football tradition despite only becoming a national team since 1993. They are quick to remind visitors that nine of the Czechoslovakia side that won the 1976 European Championship were Slovaks.

Technically proficient, they adopt a 4-4-2 formation but their current injury/suspension problems may lead to a more flexible approach.

Staunton named his team early yesterday to allow players time to focus on their specific roles.

On the other hand Jan Kocian can now devise a clear tactical plan to deal with the individuals he identifies as a threat.

In my opinion such an advantage need not be conceded, especially when the stakes are so high.

If you have a great team, and everyone already knows it, then early selection doesn't matter but this is not the case so why assist the opposition? It's so difficult to gain any edge at this level.

The enforced change of Robbie Keane makes Kevin Doyle's selection academic. The squad is devoid of another experienced striker like Alan Lee, Clinton Morrison and David Connolly.

Doyle is a better lone forward option than Keane - more aggressive, and a better aerial target for Kilbane, Duff and others to aim at.

Aiden McGeady, coming in for Jonathan Douglas, is hardly a surprise considering the midfield's lack of cohesiveness against Wales. Stephen Ireland's return to a central role should add an inventiveness that was patently absent on Saturday.

I think Staunton will position McGeady off the front in a similar role to Andy Reid against the Czech Republic. He shone in this demanding position in the Champions League against Milan at the San Siro.

McGeady can come of age tonight. He is someone we always felt had special potential, which is why we pursued his Irish possibilities from when he was a raw 15-year-old.

Not 21 until next week, he is maturing into a tactically astute performer this season. He also has plenty of experience playing off the front man from underage level.

Stephen Hunt can be disappointed by his exclusion. He appears to have become too valuable a commodity as an impact sub when Ireland need something different late on.

The back four remains the same but the fullbacks could, make that should, switch in order to reap the full benefit of Steve Finnan's crossing ability. When Finnan is at left back he is forced to check before crossing.

This means any movement inside the box can be marshalled by the defenders. It normally leads to a lethargic delivery, unlike what Finnan has consistently shown he is capable of for Liverpool.

Finnan and John O'Shea also need to improve their communication with the wingers Kilbane and Duff.

Slovakia are a far superior team to Wales and more importantly, they retain aspirations of qualification.

They have already emptied Wales and Cyprus away from home so the Croke Park factor will not intimidate them. Richard Dunne and Paul McShane will need to be switched on for 90 minutes.

An improved tempo with more accurate passing and control of possession is essential tonight.

Tick all those boxes and Ireland should be good enough to win. Otherwise, the chances of qualifying are pretty much over.

Then we'll have more serious issues to address.
    © 2007 The Irish Times

In fairness, this is a ridiculous criticism:
    Setanta. Any panelist who refers to League One as Division One really shouldn't be covering the FA Cup, or English football in general.
    That pales in comparison to some of the tripe spouted out by Redknapp & the Sky brigade, but I guess there's just something about that gruff Crumlin accent that just irritates some folk.

Savman wrote: »
    Was always a keen Brian Kerr fan. He's an easy person to dislike if you really wanna nitpick, but personally I think he's highly astute.

League One/Division One = Tomayto/Tomaaato. The renaming of Division 1 to 'The Championship' was a silly move anyway, can hardly blame the old school heads for getting that wrong (do it meself regularly).

Tomato and tomato? They were 2 completely different divisions?

If Kerr watched Celtic play 10 games in a row I'd love to hear his opinion on the players. I can't say the same about Macari, Dolan, Townsend and many more. Kerr is already a lot more accurate in his opinion of Celtic players than the other pundits that cover English and European football on Setanta and Sky. He's simply a better judge of a football player, a football match, than a lot of these pundits imo.

I find it very hard, even impossible, to make a judgement on 22 players in games and I feel when Kerr points out something about a certain players performance I can trust him.

redout wrote: »
    On Irish football yes. On English football he is most certainly not. My gawd just watch him on Setanta.
    Look, if you don't like his accent or his odd mistake of player names or exact division so be it, but if you listen to what he has to say and accept the mistakes on names etc. you will actually realise that he says it as it is and no bull like most other commentators who are almost afraid to get on the wrong side of someone.

• Advertisement

Look, if you don't like his accent or his odd mistake of player names or exact division so be it, but if you listen to what he has to say and accept the mistakes on names etc. you will actually realise that he says it as it is and no bull like most other commentators who are almost afraid to get on the wrong side of someone.

I don't think he is a great analyst. I don't think he is terrible either. But if you're getting paid the kind of money he is, you should really be able to name the players, and the divisions you're dealing with. Like whatever about pronunciations, and I couldn't give a fiddlers about his accent. But you need to be well-researched going in, and he rarely seems to be.

I don't think he is a great analyst. I don't think he is terrible either. But if you're getting paid the kind of money he is, you should really be able to name the players, and the divisions you're dealing with. Like whatever about pronunciations, and I couldn't give a fiddlers about his accent. But you need to be well-researched going in, and he rarely seems to be.
    Two words: John Giles. :)

Kerr always comes across to me as someone who does his research before analysing games. I haven't got a clue of what game he was on tonight but he has no problem naming players off relatively small clubs on the continent when working on European games.

Nothing wrong with his accent. Sure a big percentage of the country must have the same one no ? I just dont think he can analyse the English teams as good as he can LOI and the Irish team setup. Martin Tyler (commentator I know) is the only guy I honestly trust. Not at all like his Sky colleagues in the slightest. The guy is like a box of knowledge on the premier league. He knows it all to be honest and never seems to be caught out.

redout wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with his accent. Sure a big percentage of the country must have the same one no ? I just dont think he can analyse the English teams as good as he can LOI and the Irish team setup. Martin Tyler (commentator I know) is the only guy I honestly trust. Not at all like his Sky colleagues in the slightest. The guy is like a box of knowledge on the premier league. He knows it all to be honest and never seems to be caught out.
    Ok its time to break the myth that Martin Tyler knows all. He has an assistant when he commentates. The job of that assistant is to hand him suitable facts and stats regarding the teams that are playing. He does a great job commentating but all the information regarding teams and players is handed to him by his assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Same goes for any commentator/pundit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm sure Ronnie Whelan and the likes picked up alot of things along the way and know a fair bit about football... doesnt make him a good pundit. In fact he's terrible. The man was at a massive club for nearly all his career, winning the European Cup, League and League Cup. Doesn't make him the best for the TV.

Pat Dolan and Brian Kerr are annoying to listen to and are not good pundits imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Firstly if you dont think he's terrible why did you start the thread, just rowing back now because the majority are disagreeing with you??

And secondly how do you know how much he's getting paid??

Tomato and tomato? They were 2 completely different divisions?
    The naming format has been changed twice in the last 2 decades. Firstly when the PL was formed and secondly a coupla years ago when some genius decided it would be a great idea to rename the old "Div2" to "League One". I mean ffs, hardly enough ammunition there to fire at Kerr.

Perhaps if you hadda named the thread "Brian Kerr as a Pundit" then it wouldn't be half as provocative as naming it 'Brian Kerr' which one can only assume is an avenue for begrudgers/naysayers/armchair experts/keyboard warriors to have a pop. The man has worked his way up frrom grass roots football and was widely respected before taking the poisoned chalice that is/was the Ireland job. Fast forward a few dodgy results, some FAI/Evening Herald propoganda and a bunch of underperforming players and it's now "ok" to find fault in one of the best managers we've produced. Critics should look at his record with the Ireland youths and considering we're not a nation known for our footballing success the man commands respect for that alone.

Firstly if you dont think he's terrible why did you start the thread, just rowing back now because the majority are disagreeing with you??

And secondly how do you know how much he's getting paid??

I don't think he is a terrible analyst of the football game, hes ok, but he is a terrible panelist in the sense that he can't even be bothered learning the players he will be analysing and the divisions they play in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I don't think he is a terrible analyst of the football game, hes ok, but he is a terrible panelist in the sense that he can't even be bothered learning the players he will be analysing and the divisions they play in.

A trerrible analyst in comparison to who though - Pat Dolan, Brain Little, Johnny Giles, Eammon Dunphy, Ronnie Whelan, Ryay Houghton - in fairnes why you have picked him out of that bunch just leads me to believe that you have a personal dislike towards him and it has nothing to do with his ability as an analyst/panelist.

Listening to Kerr tonight and I can't think of one pundit not getting paid to watch the SPL that is as knowledgeable as he is about the league and players. He did struggle to pronounce loads of names though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Ignore his accent

What's wrong with his accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

id take him over ronnie "pass and move" whelan, stan collymore, jason mcateer, Steve MnManaman and Steve Mcmahon.

all terrible pundits and they have something else in common also :cool:

also packie bonner is a terrible presenter and dont get me started on trevor welsh

brian kerr aint bad, i respect him and wouldnt rate him anywhere near as bad as that lot above. pat dolan is a clown who does not know anything.

SectionF wrote: »
    What's wrong with his accent?
    His accent seems to be one of the biggest critisisms people have against him. Ask the many LOI supporters that call him junkie Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His accent seems to be one of the biggest critisisms people have against him. Ask the many LOI supporters that call him junkie Kerr.

that's not why he's called junkie.

he's called junkie beause he used to manage "the junkies" - SPA, from Syringiecore.

"He's just a Pat's kn****r, fúck off to Inchicore!

• Advertisement

He is referred to that because of his Pats connections, who are nicknamed junkies. Nothing to do with his accent as such.

Well anyway. :) I've still heard plenty of people slag his accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think hes one of the better ones, his pieces in the times are always interesting. id rather watch/read a pundit that knows about football, not LOI, EPL, SPL, La Liga, Internationals. otherwise theyre just reading names off a sheet of paper. someone who knows tactics, training, how to win etc. Kerr knows his stuff, a proper football man imo.

Well anyway. :) I've still heard plenty of people slag his accent.
    So what do you think is wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

God forbid someone involved in football be working class with a Dublin accent

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    So what do you think is wrong with it?
    When did I say there was anything wrong with it? You obviously haven't heard me speak. :) As I already said, I'm telling people that critisise him to ignore his accent because that's one of the biggest criticisms I hear of him.

When did I say there was anything wrong with it? You obviously haven't heard me speak. :) As I already said, I'm telling people that critisise him to ignore his accent because that's one of the biggest criticisms I hear of him.

He has a Dublin accent big whoop ! So does a big chunk of the capital no ? I dont get this point being made about the mans accent I really dont.

Sorry 'bout that EB. I thought it was you had an issue with it.

Advertisement