Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for working holiday visa while in Australia on a tourist visa?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to Oz next week on an 3 month tourist Visa just for a few weeks holidays.
    If i decided i wanted to stay on and work would it possible to apply for some sort of working Visa even though i am already there on a toursit visa?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

As far as i know you cant,think you need to be outside australia when you apply for your first working holiday visa

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, you cannot be in Australia on a Tourist Visa and apply for a working holiday visa. You could go to Oz and then head over to New Zealand for a few weeks. I know a guy who did it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

agree.in Fiji now and just after getting my whv after 48 hours.had to be outside the country.research somewhere that is low season so you can save money on flights and stick around for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

agree.in Fiji now and just after getting my whv after 48 hours.had to be outside the country.research somewhere that is low season so you can save money on flights and stick around for a few days

Fierce weather there I hear paddy. Did ya get caught in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Fierce weather there I hear paddy. Did ya get caught in it?

Yup,got nicely caught up in it.Someone up there was saying "Ya might be going to an exotic island to apply for your WHV,but don't think you're going to have a good time!" Got stuck on a small island for four days as they couldn't move any of the ferries.Had enough food but the lack of electricity and fresh water was a right bummer.Anyway,back in Melb now and ready to get stuck into the job hunt.

A quick hint too,if your WHV is a normal application then you'll be fine,prob 48 or so hours.If your applying for any kind of medical role then you will have to take medical tests from where you are.This will take considerably longer and will mean you have to stay in whatever country while it comes through.If you go back into Oz on your holiday visa then your WHV application will not be granted.Hope that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement