Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier Electric Consumption

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:20am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9

(Ok here's the deal. ESB bill was huge last month and the month before, not blaming my amp, but have one question.)

I have a Technics amp that is rated at 320 watt. What I want to know is, does the amp consume 320 watt at full volume or does it consume a constant 320 watt regardless. More in relation to electrics than audio but though this was a good place to start.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you check the specification in the manual it should tell you what the electricity consumption of the amp is in operation and in standby. 320W in sound terms does not translate directly inot 320W in electricity consumption.

Ritz.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 conor_mac

The amp (Technics SA-DX950) outputs 5 x 100 W / 8 Ohms, not sure if that's RMS and consumes 320 watt. Basically what I need to know is if that consumption varies depending usage...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

A "unit" of electricity (which is the measurement used by the ESB for charging on the bill - check your ESB bill, it will tell you ow many units you've used and how much you're charged per unit) is 1kWh - one Kilowatt (1000W) for an hour. So your amp would need to be running for a little over 3 hours to use a unit of electricity. Your bill should give you an idea whether this is an issue or not.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

A quick Google search indicates that that model uses 230 watts of power and 2 watts in standby mode.

Remember electricity prices having being going up and up over the past few months and this is probably what you are seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Amp but if the Unit states 320W on the ratings nameplate (on any consumer appliance) that is the max power output of that appliance, this does not mean that it uses 320w during use and as stated it uses 2W on standby.

CS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

cheapskate wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Amp but if the Unit states 320W on the ratings nameplate (on any consumer appliance) that is the max power output of that appliance, this does not mean that it uses 320w during use and as stated it uses 2W on standby.

CS
    No. That would be 320 watts (max) consumption. Its usually stated alongside the voltage on the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Well thats what I meant, I was speaking in general terms but I used the wrong term!! Power out consumption.

Advertisement