Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10Mbit & 12Mbit broadband

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Can't seem to find ISPs offering the 10 & 12mbit ADSL2 option. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, are they still around? Can't stand the ping on the 7.6mb connection /shakes fist :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can't seem to find ISPs offering the 10 & 12mbit ADSL2 option. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, are they still around? Can't stand the ping on the 7.6mb connection /shakes fist :pac:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html
    http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/10.htm

2 as a start. There's also UPC unless you really want to stick with ADSL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Nice, but only a select few (relatively) can get those packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Spear wrote: »
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html
    http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/10.htm

2 as a start. There's also UPC unless you really want to stick with ADSL2.

I'm guessing by the speeds he has quoted he actually means the 10 and 12 mbit business packages that Eircom and bitstream resellers provide. They are still provided, you just got to look in the business broadband sections of the sites, can find the Eircom ones here, though at 89euro ex. vat for 10mbit and 169euro ex.vat for 12mbit they are not cheap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nice, but only a select few (relatively) can get those packages.

All ADLS2 services are currently only available in LLU'd exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Do you mean all Smart/Magnet ADSL2 services? Because eircom have ADSL2 equipment in exchanges that aren't unbundled!

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote: »
    Do you mean all Smart/Magnet ADSL2 services? Because eircom have ADSL2 equipment in exchanges that aren't unbundled!

But not selling those services to the public currently.

But not selling those services to the public currently.

The 10mbit and 12mbit business packages Eircom and the resellers provide are ADSL2+.

The 10mbit and 12mbit business packages Eircom and the resellers provide are ADSL2+.

Business packages though, not to the normal consumers.

Business packages though, not to the normal consumers.

I'm sorry I guess we have different interpretations of what "all" means.

The OP originally referred to the 10 and 12mbit which can only be business packages so your point about ADSL2+ being not for normal consumers is completely irrelevant anyway.

I'm sorry I guess we have different interpretations of what "all" means.

Somehow I don't think a business line user is concerned about ping, so in his context all is applicable since he'll only be looking for residential packages.
    The OP originally referred to the 10 and 12mbit which can only be business packages so your point about ADSL2+ being not for normal consumers is completely irrelevant anyway.

I don't get this bit, 10 and 12 mbit packages certainly don't have to be business packages as evidenced by the two links I first responded with. I also never made any claim that ADSL2 isn't for normal consumbers, that's Eircoms policy.

• Advertisement

Somehow I don't think a business line user is concerned about ping, so in his context all is applicable since he'll only be looking for residential packages.
    There is plenty of reasons a business user would like low latency.
    I don't get this bit, 10 and 12 mbit packages certainly don't have to be business packages as evidenced by the two links I first responded with.
    The only companies that do both 10 and 12mbit ADSL2+ packages are Eircom and the resellers as business packages and not either of the two providers you linked.
    I also never made any claim that ADSL2 isn't for normal consumbers, that's Eircoms policy
    I think you are misinterpreted my comment, I wasn't commenting on your opinion of whether ADSL2+ should be provided to home users or not, I was commenting on the Fact that it was irrelevant since the 10mbit and 12mbit is only currently for business users.

That will be my last word on the issue since this argument is getting more and more convoluted and somewhat pointless by the minute.

Advertisement