Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road cassette sizes!?!

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I posted this ages ago on here, but got no real great help, so here we go again! :D

Just a quick question! I'm starting Junior (over 16) racing this year and my new bike doesn't comply with the gearing regulations, so I need a bit of help! I came across this chart on the internet on compatible setups! Don't worry, I filled in the correct details!

gearchartlt8.jpg
    By nastyshox at 2008-11-06

The current setup is a Shimano 9 speed double - 53/39 and 12-26 which is well over the limit! I know myself I don't use the top gears - ever!. I also think I could do with an smaller/easier gear for a steep hill near my house. I gave this chart into my LBS a few months ago and he said he would sort me out (still no help from him - not sure it will ever come!)
    • Anyway, it would be nice if it was a 52 big chainring on the front as a 14 cassette on the back would be perfect (I could change the chainring also couldn't I?)
    • As it is a 53, I would need a cassete with a biggest/toughest gear of 15 on the back. Trouble is these are very difficult to get (well from what I can see on the internet anyway!)
    • I could get a compact chainset/crankset (don't know much about these!)

Can you get cassettes made up to your own specified requirements? I would need something like a 14-27 or 15-27. I'd also like something quite light and durable, any reccomendations?

Sorry for all the questions! Not such a quick question after all eh?!? :p Thanks for your help in advance, its much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

shimano Ultegra do a 25-14. which is a top level cassette. so based on your chart and needs a 52 ring with a 25-14 should be legal (just!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

me@ucd wrote: »
    shimano Ultegra do a 25-14. which is a top level cassette. so based on your chart and needs a 52 ring with a 25-14 should be legal (just!)
    Thanks for that, but its not exactly what I'm looking for! First of all, I'd need to change the front chainring aswell just to be legal, and secondly the lowest gear (easiest) is 25 and I need something around 27! Thanks anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Cycling Ireland website
    Technical Document
    Youth Competition and Gearing Regulations
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/technical/document.jsp?doc=96

Youth Gearing 2007
    The Youth Commission has decided to introduce radical changes
    to all Youth category gearing starting from the 2007 season.
    As from 2007 the following will apply.
    Category Max. Chainring Min. Sprocket
    12s 42 16
    14s 46 16
    16s 50 16 <--- not sure if this means under 16 or over 16.

Shimano website

Shimano Ultegra
    Junior Gearing
    <--- this one

I know nothing about cycle racing or regulation. I just looked these up a short while ago.
    My guess is you need a compact with 50/34 chainrings on the front and a 27/16 cassette on the back. But I don't know what you have on your bike (Shimano or Campagnolo), or what groupset (Sora/Tiagra/105/Ultegra/Dura Ace or Campagnolo). I'm sure you can get the cassette you need from a bike shop (special order). You might need to change the rear derailleur as well.

My suggestion is to contact Cycling Ireland by email and ask for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You might have a problem. I looked at the Shimano site (you use Shimano) at the 105, Tiagra, and Sora. All the cassettes for those groupsets have rear cassettes that begin at either 11, 12, 13, 14 teeth. That is lower than the allowed (?) 16.

The Shimano Ultegra 16/27 is £43.99 on Chainreaction Cycles, and is the only one they have with a low of 16 teeth. With ten rings it needs a narrow chain to suit, so you need to know what chain is on the bike. A narrow chain to suit a new rear 16/27 cassette might be too narrow for thick front chainrings already on the bike. And a 16/27 cassette might need a new derailleur on the back to suit.

I'm a novice at this. Maybe others on here might know more.

Best to ask Cycling ireland what others use / where they get their cassettes.

Advertisement