Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Nas Drive on 24x7

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    Ive currently got an external nas drive connected to my xbmc.
    I usually turn the nas drive off after use but sometimes it takes a while to reconnect to the network when I switch it back on again. For that reason, I'm better off just leaving it on... As long as it doesnt cost too much..
    Anyone got any idea?

I tried using the ESB calculator.
    The Nas drives has the following info on it.. 12 volts (2 amps)
    I found online that watts = volts by amps..
    Which gives me 24...
    Threw that into the Esb calculator and to have it on 24/7, it would only cost around 7 euro every 2 months.. Does that sound right?
    If its as minimal as ive calculated, ive got no reason but to just leave it always on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

The 2 Amps is the max it would draw, if the drive stops spinning it would draw less than that.

Your calculations appear correct.

Maplins sell a plug-in energy meter - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223573 if you really want to check. I think someone was selling one on adverts recently too.

Advertisement