Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical outlets directly under sink - is this a fire hazard?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Let's say the pipes under the sink leak, possibly spray. Maybe right into the electrical outlet.

Now, I'm not electrician but hollywood tells me this is bad.

Is it?

(sorry for crap quality of the photo, but you get the idea. The plug that's in there is the washing machine, the other outlet is turned "off" using the little inbuilt switch)

image001xz7.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Speaking from experience this is a fairly common sight because most older houses especially council houses had the washing machine next to the sink so as to share the water connection.
    If you have a consumer unit (fuseboard) with MCB's (tripswitches) and an RCD and the sink and surrounding pipes are well earthed via bonding straps etc. I wouldn't be too concerned as any water leaking into the sockets etc will trip the RCD harmlessly enough assuming everything works as it should, however if there is an old style fuseboard with screw fuses and no RCD I personally would have the socket moved to avoid any potential for electric shock, I also can't see any reason why it would be a fire hazard unless the socket is overloaded or there are loose connections somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

If zou had to fit a socket under the sink it should be easily accessible and ip rated preferably .the overswitch is used mostly now for appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

SparKing wrote: »
    Speaking from experience this is a fairly common sight because most older houses especially council houses had the washing machine next to the sink so as to share the water connection.
    If you have a consumer unit (fuseboard) with MCB's (tripswitches) and an RCD and the sink and surrounding pipes are well earthed via bonding straps etc. I wouldn't be too concerned as any water leaking into the sockets etc will trip the RCD harmlessly enough assuming everything works as it should, however if there is an old style fuseboard with screw fuses and no RCD I personally would have the socket moved to avoid any potential for electric shock, I also can't see any reason why it would be a fire hazard unless the socket is overloaded or there are loose connections somewhere

Thanks, that's reassured me a lot. The apartment is only 18 months old and it has a fuseboard with tripswitches so it should be ok.

Advertisement