Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Skool

• 15-01-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

It's been about 3 years since I've dev'd anything but did 4 rolls tonight and had that uneasy, anxious feeling you usually get when developing negs....the double checking your chemicals, dilution ratios, temperatures, times etc....especially as they weren't mine!
    All 4 turned out perfect though....5 more to go!

Gimme a USB cable and computer anyday....my hands still stink of fixer no matter how much I wash them!!!!

oldskool.jpg

It did sorta feel good still!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I remember my brother doing this in the wardrobe at home and wondering what on earth was he doing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

pete4130 wrote: »
    my hands still stink of fixer no matter how much I wash them!!!!

Latex gloves?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

John wrote: »
    Latex gloves?

kinky

The smell doesn't bother me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

Good work...
    kinky

The smell doesn't bother me anymore

I can getcha a box of latex gloves if you'd like to have them just in case - you have a choice, powdered or non-powdered ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Which reminds me I have 3 rolls sittin at home to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Three rolls of gloves? Mine come in boxes :)

Actually, looking at the picture, I kind of wish that I had a film camera to do some developing with. I get to do it in college with x-ray film but the pictures aren't exactly national geographic material!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Myself and the gf will be setting up our Darkroom in our place hopefully over the next few weeks, which would be awesome!

Looking forward to learning how to do all this, thankfully she already knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You don't need a darkroom for developing films.

And gloves without powder, by all means. It is heart breaking to see some unwashed marks and stains on freshly developed film. I did the very last wash with demineralized water. Shake the spool as much as possible to get away as much water as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

ThOnda wrote: »
    And gloves without powder, by all means.

Was kinda joking, they're lab gloves which can come powdered on the inside so your hands don't get all sicky, personally I hate them!

Darkroom at home is great, used to have one in my parents house. Not a small task setting one up though... lot of work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ThOnda wrote: »
    You don't need a darkroom for developing films.

And gloves without powder, by all means. It is heart breaking to see some unwashed marks and stains on freshly developed film. I did the very last wash with demineralized water. Shake the spool as much as possible to get away as much water as it could be.

Where did you get that ?? I've been looking all over for distilled or demineralized water. Couldn't find it anywhere. I presume I'm looking in the wrong place ! I get the odd drying mark or water stain on my film. Annoys me enormously :-)

• Advertisement

My method for drying is pull tightly at 45deg angle. clothes peg one end much the same as pete4130 and use a hair dryer held at the appropriate distance and dry start at the top (pegged end) and slowly work your way down both sides of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trishw78 wrote: »
    My method for drying is pull tightly at 45deg angle. clothes peg one end much the same as pete4130 and use a hair dryer held at the appropriate distance and dry start at the top (pegged end) and slowly work your way down both sides of the film.

Yeah, I've heard that before, but never done it. I must give it a try and see ig it improves matters. The 45 degree bit, not the hairdryer. I'd be terrified that it would bake dust right into the film :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

What's wrong with a bit of dust? :pac:

Yeah, I've heard that before, but never done it. I must give it a try and see ig it improves matters. The 45 degree bit, not the hairdryer. I'd be terrified that it would bake dust right into the film :-)

It's the all about the distance besides you can turn the heat off on some dryers, you can on mine anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm not keen on the hairdryer idea!!! The bathroom is a nice humid area so it tends to keep the dust down a little. Water marks can be dealth with later by some rinsing, rehanging and a prayer you don't get any more watermarks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Where did you get that ?? I've been looking all over for distilled or demineralized water. Couldn't find it anywhere. I presume I'm looking in the wrong place ! I get the odd drying mark or water stain on my film. Annoys me enormously :-)

In any decent chemist you should get distilled water..... Bought some in the local one for my car battery not so long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Exactly, chemist is the place to go. I got it from my friend who produced that at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

In the darkroom myself today. Though half of it was just procrastinating inside there.

3198978641_f7417d57e8.jpg

3198978247_2cbdea7fff.jpg

Advertisement