Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi auto .22

Options
  • 15-01-2009 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi guys hope you can help.
    Im looking for a .22 semi auto rifle something for just a bit of fun for targets(not competition, just fun).
    Only around €300 or €400.
    Something that looks cool and can hit a target and/or even a bunny at 40,50 yards.
    I have two other gun one .223 and a 12g so not worried about the license and that.
    I have seen the walter G22 but have heard bad reviews.
    waltherg22.jpg
    Something along those lines.I think it is called a bullpop style? Any recommendations?

Cheers, JJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The pistol grip is likely to lead to trouble with the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

I would say YES you would have trouble. But let that not stop you.
    If our licencing system has a problem with particular designs and will refuse you based on unreasonable law everyone has a right to appeal.

There is no reason whats so ever why this design would pose a threat to public safety or for any other reason of refusal

This firearm is the equal of any other .22 semi automatic

Not only do we have the right to reasonable law but we also should have people in charge of firearm licencing who understands firearms FOR THE SAKE OF PUBLIC SAFETY.

The number one issue should be the person and facilitys. Everyone needs to get away from this hollywood image, people need to be educated its quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Its called bullpup, and to be honest, it's a great design.
    The major problem you might come across is the "Idontlikethelookadat" symptom which is so all important.
    The second reason, and this is only with the remote possability that your "fella in charge of guns" knows what he's talking about, is that it was developed with one thing in mind.
    Military.
    Not this gun in particular, but the design.
    It really offers no real benefits under normal circumstances other than, its easier to carry and point, and it looks good.
    Couple that with the people's verdict from owning one that they are extremely inaccurate, very ammo fussy, and generally a poor gun, and I personally think you'd be better off with a more established semi.
    By all means get a semi, they're great fun for informal targets as well as having that all important quick follow up shot for vermin, but you can get much more accurate items for less money, which will cause far less hassle in the long term.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bond-007 wrote: »

There's no problem with pistol grips on rifles, only on shotguns.

The fact that it's a bullpup design makes it a restricted firearm though so whenever that law starts getting enforced owners of them may end up with a pain in the arse when renewing their licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

The G22 is a dire, dire rifle... If your looking for a solid reliable .22 that also looks cool, but a Ruger 10/22 and then pimp it up, there's the world of options out there from an ar-15 clone to a mini version of the MG-42

MG42dressup.jpg

nordic%20stock.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Unless you fighting off a biblical rat infestation and they are coming from every direction then i dont think you'll have any luck when you tell them what it is.

One that note, if your applying for a restricted gun where about on the forms do you tell the cops. is there a place for the applicant to inform the garda who process the forms???

I'd imagine that the licence would only say Walter---semi auto .22 if you got it, and even if you informed the garda that its a restricted item i would think that the licence would still read the same.. Just a thought..

Whats the format on pistol licences and other licences for restricted items ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Mr. Scully in Athlone has a number of 10/22s asking price from €350 upwards.

For many years I had a remington 597 s/a in 22 WMR (regret getting rid) and had no problems licensing it and was quite accurate

Why buy a gun and spend a fortune doing it up, if thats the case just get a more expensive gun (Only a thought)

I have seen some guys turn up at a clay ground recently that has a small range attached with the 22 equivalent of the MP5,(you know the one) GSG something anyway they were told to put the guns back in the boot, so think about how far you want to customize. It maybe a 22 but, first impressions last as the old impulse add used to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jjmcnulty

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I would prefer to just buy something and not have to add mods to it. I like the idea of the bullpop style. This would be for just personal use on my own land and land belonging to family and friends and i dont know why any one would bring a rile to a clay shoot.

Dose any one know of any other brand selling .22 rifles with the bullpop style?

Cheers, JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Unless you fighting off a biblical rat infestation and they are coming from every direction then i dont think you'll have any luck when you tell them what it is.
    Or unless you're shooting gallery rifle, which is the main target shooting discipline for semi-auto .22 rifles, last I looked.
    Our fellow mod Rovi has a G22 and has good (if qualified) things to say about it.
    One that note, if your applying for a restricted gun where about on the forms do you tell the cops. is there a place for the applicant to inform the garda who process the forms???
    No, because it'll be a different form sent to a different garda. You apply for restricted licences to the Commissioner's office directly, not your local super. If you apply to the local lad and noone catches it, you'd only be issued with a licence that wasn't legal and your insurance would be void, amongst other things. And yes, it'd be your fault, ignorance not being a legal defence in court.

And the G22 would be restricted (because of it's appearance), but other .22 semiautos like the ubiquitous ruger 10/22 shouldn't be (though I suppose you could wrap it up in a "tactical" stock and tempt fate if you felt like supporting your local solicitor).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jjmcnulty

How did Rovi go about getting the license? and what did he say he needed it for? or what are the reasons for getting a restricted license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

Why even debate such a pointless thing that is "the restricted" list. I really think every chance should be used to point out to the people who mean well and are against guns....they just don't like them and so what, they have their own choice and I genuinely mean this. They want to save peoples lives and that is good all far and well but we can not waste time arguing about restricted lists we have to expose the real problems and realise that it is not in everyones best interest to have pointless laws..at this stage the lack of effective solutions will continue to kill people on the streets where the real problems are.

please think about this any one who doesnt like guns....
    and please try to understand that we are not all gun nuts......
    and go have a go yourself at a range and come to the realisatation yourself that a gun is a gun...and it is very safe....We are all afraid of what we don't know.

That is the general atitude towards people who don't like guns in the shooting community...we are nice...

But we do all have rights YES every one has RIGHTS to reasonable law and if a law is more unreasonable it is always weaker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irwinr

The GSG-5 .22lr which is a MP5 .22lr is a great sem-auto rifle for some fun cheap shooting. I have one myself and once it is keep clean it will fire rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger and accurate to 80-90m no problem. Pimped mine up with a folding stock, front hand grip and red dot sight.
    It will cost you around €800 in the south or you could export one from the north for about £500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irwinr

Fired the G22. It is ok. A friend of mine has one and it seems to be giving him nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No, because it'll be a different form sent to a different garda. You apply for restricted licences to the Commissioner's office directly, not your local super.

Is there anything on paper about this yet??Any guidelines to the Gardai or anyone??Or is this all still pending???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The SI is through, signed, part of law; but not being enforced until PULSE is up to speed. A lot of stuff is held up by that - hopefully, as soon as the latest version of PULSE is up and running and tested (and I've heard that's only a few weeks away, but it's a computer system, and those things are always going to be up and running Real Soon Now), a lot of stuff will fire off - the 3 year licence, the restricted list, the training licence, etc, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Bond-007 wrote: »

Restricted list!
    Pistol grips on shot guns AFAIK are only restricted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magiller

got a gsg meself,wat mounts did u use for mounting a scope? other than mounts i find it a great wee rifle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Zombie thread. From Feb. 2009
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement