Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yup! Well, this is only the second batch.

What'll we call it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really wanna make a strong IPA. Might be a bit ambitious, seeing as I have no experience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Links234 wrote: »

You could always go down the Baltika route

Linksbrau 2 for an IPA
    Linksbrau 3 for a Porter
    Linksbrau 4 for a Lager

and so on :P

Grayditch wrote: »
    I really wanna make a strong IPA. Might be a bit ambitious, seeing as I have no experience :)

Well, I'm a bit of a beginner and I'm just using kits, but it's quite easy. You can get a kit for a double IPA too, like this: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/evil-dog-american-double-ipa-47-kg-beer-kit-3358-p.asp That's where I got my equipment.

Cool, I think I'll do something like that until I get good at it and can use hops that I like.

• Advertisement

Cool, I think I'll do something like that until I get good at it and can use hops that I like.

Well, the thing about kits is, you can always add in extra stuff. You can try a kit like that and then think "Hmmm, nice but it could do with more X" and put in whatever hops you like, etc. It's very easy to mess around with kits like that. I'd love to get onto all grain brewing at some point, but right now just wanting to get a few more kits under my belt before messing around and seeing what I can do. ;)

Cool, yeah. I think it's time I gave it a go. I've been reading the Homebrew forum on Boards here for a few weeks now and picked up some good pointers :)

Well, the initial equipment ain't too expensive at all, I got my stuff as a birthday present, which included 2 kits, 2 fermenters etc (2 of everything), 48 bottles, brewing sugar, sterilizer, trial jar and hydrometer. All for about €100. Hell of a pressie :D So I've another IPA kit yet ;)

But yeah, you could get everything you need fairly cheap, and it's not hard to do.

Might give that a bash too. How much is the initial kit to set up? Finding space for it might be tricky mind

P_1 wrote: »
    Might give that a bash too. How much is the initial kit to set up? Finding space for it might be tricky mind
    This is the one I got I think (with some extras), but that pretty much has everything you need to brew something

• Advertisement

This is the one I got I think (with some extras), but that pretty much has everything you need to brew something

Dagnammit you're after introducing a third element to my new amp or start my sleeve quandry :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's so cool :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Hey Crumb ;) Yeah, that's pride alright! :p How are you today?

I'm doing pretty damn good actually. I've recently added promoter to my list of job titles.

Well.... I put on a rock/burlesque night last week with my own band and two others and a couple of burlesque "performers", it was packed, everyone who took part got paid and we still have money left over to put towards our first recording session for our first album, so I reckon I can call myself a promoter now :D

I still don't like IPAs though :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm doing pretty damn good actually. I've recently added promoter to my list of job titles.

Well.... I put on a rock/burlesque night last week with my own band and two others and a couple of burlesque "performers", it was packed, everyone who took part got paid and we still have money left over to put towards our first recording session for our first album, so I reckon I can call myself a promoter now :D

Nice one SC :-D

I'm not a big fan of IPAs myself either

They're an aquired taste to be sure.

First one I had, I thought I'd drank a mouthfull of Glade. Now, I like getting that hop burn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love them, the hoppier the better :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Every time burlesque is brought up, my first thought is this comic from Randy Milholland
    rww07022007.gif

First one I had, I thought I'd drank a mouthfull of Glade. Now, I like getting that hop burn :)

Definitely

I had a IPA 72 kristall i think it was and it didn't go down well at all unfortunately.

P_1 wrote: »
    Dagnammit you're after introducing a third element to my new amp or start my sleeve quandry :p

What amp are you after? That's the question! :D

Well there's realy hoppy IPAs and there's ones that aren't that hoppy, I do prefer hoppy :) Some of my favourites are Thornbridge's Jaipur, Fyne Ale's Jarl, and Odell's St. Lupulin. :D

Oh P_1, you said something about finding space for it... Girlfriend was kind enough to clear out the cupboard under the stairs for me, and that not only has enough room for all my equipment and everything, it's also a perfect little space to keep the fermenters at a constant temp, it's sitting at an absolutely perfect 20 degrees in there! You can see the little thermometer on the side of the current brew :)

yOX1OGi.jpg

There's still an old monitor in there, but I'd say I'd easily have enough space for another 2 fermenters if I wanted :D I do plan on getting 1 more though, except without the tap because those things are so handy for dumping everything you need sterilized into and filling up with sterlizing solution, so it's perfect for when bottling needs to be done, and when it's all done, they'll all stack into each other and take up next to no room :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jarl *drools*

Angron wrote: »
    Jarl *drools*

Jarl is just gorgeous, I love it so very much. For my birthday this year, I managed to drink all the Jarl they had in the pub! :pac:

Also Angron, try Jaipur at some point, it's beyond incredible! :D They currently have it on tap in the Salt House, but curses, wouldn't you know it I've been on antibiotics for a chest infection, and can't go for a pint :( It'll be gone soon, if it hasn't already. :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Love Jaipur, always get it whenever I see it :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Not sure when I'll be down in Galway, so I dunno when I can get to have some.

Love Jaipur, always get it whenever I see it :)

It's the absolute cat's pyjamas isn't it? I'll always go for it if I want something relatively strong, but if I'm in more of a session-y mood I go for the Jarl which is 3.8% and just so tasty, lovely citrusy hop flavour. Or if I fancy a more American style IPA, then there's really no competition for St. Lupulin, which is like 6.5% and sweeter tasting than the others, but I can't have many.
    Angron wrote: »
    Not sure when I'll be down in Galway, so I dunno when I can get to have some.

You can always just get some on bottle. ;)

How much would a bottle of jauiper set you back?

How much would a bottle of jauiper set you back?

Kinda depends on the offie, but I saw them looking for €5 for a bottle in O'Briens which I think is ridiculous, I was drinking it for that in the pub when they had it on cask. I'd say somewhere around €3-4 should be ok

5 euro in the offie :eek: bloodly hell,if I see down here I'll give it a try.

5 euro in the offie :eek: bloodly hell,if I see down here I'll give it a try.

Yeah, but I think O'Briens take the piss in general, so I'm not that shocked.

• Advertisement

What amp are you after? That's the question! :D

Got my eye on this little bad boy:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_spider_iv_15.htm

I'm nowhere good enough to go out gigging yet and this seems powerful enough to give a little oomph but puny enough to ensure I still get christmas cards from the neighbours ;)

Advertisement