Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Just finished through Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'

Really interesting book with bucket loads of info :). I read it alongside watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos Series not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I completely forgot that I used to be a mod here.
    You did? That must have been before my time. Did that pre-date Mr. Hungus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

How is mr Hungus and his nice guitar and amp collection? Putting them to good use I hope!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Malice wrote: »
    You did? That must have been before my time. Did that pre-date Mr. Hungus?

No he brought me in here.

It was a nice way of telling me to shove my classic rock forum idea up me hole.

How is mr Hungus and his nice guitar and amp collection? Putting them to good use I hope!
    Yep although there was a smidgen of jealousy when I visited a couple of months ago to demonstrate my new 8 string guitar ;).
    It was a nice way of telling me to shove my classic rock forum idea up me hole.
    :eek: :D

• Advertisement

8 string guitar?

That's not a guitar. It's either two basses or half a harp surely.

8 string guitar?

That's not a guitar. It's either two basses or half a harp surely.
    It's just two lower strings than a six string guitar or one lower string than a seven string guitar. Now a 9 string guitar would just be taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's just two lower strings than a six string guitar or one lower string than a seven string guitar. Now a 9 string guitar would just be taking the piss.

http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepid928rnnat.html

intrepid928rnnat1.jpg

or how about this one malice?

'cos you totally need that 1 more string :)

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptor930rnblackflame.html

interceptor930rnblackflame5.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The width of the neck compared to his hand!

This is even more ridiculous

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

meshuggah fans only i think!

I have enough trouble with six strings still fair play to ya boy!

Must pick one up sometime is it not really uncomfortable for the fretting hand with the neck so wide?

side note picked up a floorpod for 50 euro on adverts there, bit of a bargain! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I was wondering where this thread had disappeared off to.

Acceptable necro-thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Acceptable necro-thread?

It's just for general chat though. It's good to have a place to post random bits and pieces that aren't big enough for their own thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

A couple of supergroups, one that could have been and one that could still happen,

6EE6712D79C34BFE94898F982DE1AE11-0000336305-0002853419-00500L-87639CFCEDC142F7B82BE305E9A2AE39.jpg

84EF2AB758374AA7B52757B9BCD48F7E-0000336305-0002853420-00500L-5E5AEDB1771D473A99F4E21F17C6E418.jpg

Links234 wrote: »
    or how about this one malice?

'cos you totally need that 1 more string :)
    God damn it I must resist the GAS attack that picture is giving me!
    is it not really uncomfortable for the fretting hand with the neck so wide?
    It takes a bit of getting used to but once you are used to it you can pick up a six string guitar and marvel at its narrow neck :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

How come nobody told me that Sleep were playing tomorrow!? Argh! Fuck sake, there's no way I can head down to it now... :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nailz wrote: »
    How come nobody told me that Sleep were playing tomorrow!? Argh! Fuck sake, there's no way I can head down to it now... :(
    I rely on Dublin Metal Events on FB and last.fm to figure out when most concerts I'd like are on, otherwise I'd miss loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Denny M wrote: »
    I rely on Dublin Metal Events on FB and last.fm to figure out when most concerts I'd like are on, otherwise I'd miss loads
    I have Dublin Metal Events added to my Facebook too, but I rarely ever look at it, which is ultimately a bit pointless, isn't it? I might start looking at it a bit more now, cheers for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I'm heading down to it myself. Have one more exam left, coming up on Friday, but there was no way I was gonna miss this.
    Can't wait to see them. Never thought that I woud get the chance to them, nevermind here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I have Dublin Metal Events added to my Facebook too, but I rarely ever look at it, which is ultimately a bit pointless, isn't it? I might start looking at it a bit more now, cheers for that!

http://dublinmetalevents.com/mailing-list?PHPSESSID=4c2d0314554ca7bfc6eeefd18fffc7fe

• Advertisement

You...

Can't get no sleep?

htf_imgcache_28060.jpeg

ybvtK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good Dream Theatre... Individually all amazing musicians, but musically I really can't stand them!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of some good Dream Theatre... Individually all amazing musicians, but musically I really can't stand them!

Can't stand em.
    The most interesting thing I have seen about dream theatre is their guitar set up.

Just all seems kinda juvenile to me.

/runs for cover.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't have an issue with Dream Theater so much as I do with prog in general. Bar Opeth (and that's only the stuff prior to the last album) I don't like it, I find it kinda.. Long-winded I guess is the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can't stand em.
    The most interesting thing I have seen about dream theatre is their guitar set up.

Just all seems kinda juvenile to me.

/runs for cover.

Yeah his guitar set up is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

DrumSteve wrote: »

What albums have you listened to so far?

I would recommend:
    Images and Words: A classic
    Awake: (My personal favourite, great musicianship but also great songs. I think they nailed everything on this album)
    Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory: Kinda considered their magnum opus. Concept album, and it is fantastic, but just doesn't have the special something Awake has IMO.
    Train of Thought: Their most "metal" album. It's technically heavy and I suppose it could be considered wankery to an extent, but I think it's full of great tunes.

Most of those albums are different enough, so you could check out each there. I would go with Awake just because I f*cking love it! It has an amazing atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

392325_382765511776869_1198557446_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

And for another rock/metal related meme/comic:

collegehumor.524d4e9e5bc3b0842536a1d0a7429ed3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Now im at a loss as to who to vote for in the AOTW!!

Advertisement