Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I find it a bit depressing to see so many Closed Accounts. Even last year's forum review thread has a bunch of names that I recognise gone too - chin grin, silent sage, Otis Driftwood and liah.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Awh chin grin is gone too :( I hadn't noticed him posting in a good while, but I didn't know he closed his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Yeah, that is a lot.

And I mean choosing to close their account completely. They could just stop posting, but still have the option of returning whenever.

There's such a sense of finality when you close your account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Even seeing the stickies originally created by Karl Hungus are nostalgic in a way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Malice wrote: »
    Even last year's forum review thread has a bunch of names that I recognise gone too - chin grin, silent sage, Otis Driftwood and liah.

On the upside, this one is me! :D

I decided to start again under a less pretentious username, with less drunken posting :pac:.

• Advertisement

Xerces you shouldn't have said anything, I was all set to start talking about silent sage. Now you'll never know if what I was about to say was good or bad :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

xerces wrote: »
    I decided to start again under a less pretentious username, with less drunken posting :pac:.

kinda makes you wonder if any other folks who've closed their accounts are still around under different usernames only just not saying anything

Now you'll never know if what I was about to say was good or bad :p.

Hopefully more good than bad :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

tumblr_m9mvyg_Rqf11ry1f3no1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Links234 wrote: »
    kinda makes you wonder if any other folks who've closed their accounts are still around under different usernames only just not saying anything
    Just going to leave this here

realview.jpg?urbanimage_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urbandictionary.com%2Fproducts.image.php%3Fgreeting_card_outside%3D1%26txtid%3D2873499&urbaninside_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urbandictionary.com%2Fproducts.image.php%3Fgreeting_card_inside%3D1%26txtid%3D2873499&urbanword_txt=The+Face+Kickeritsme.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

With regard to the new Classic Rock forum, as far as I'm concerned this forum will continue to operate in exactly the same way. The new forum was created by an admin who doesn't post in this forum, who refused my repeated attempts to meet in the middle to see how we could make this forum more rock-friendly, who refused to acknowledge the opinions of the users of this forum, who declined to provide any sort of guidance on whether this forum should become metal only and who even repeatedly refused to properly define Classic Rock as a genre.

Yeah it seems odd to have made the separate forum for only Classic Rock, of all things. If the admin felt that the Rock & Metal forum wasn't rock-friendly enough then surely it would have made more sense to have just had a Metal-only and Rock-only forum.

Anyway I think that this forum IS very rock friendly and I see no point in splitting the already small amount of posters who frequent here up even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Jack Daniel would have been 160 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Spot the brothers ???

EF3D8BC5365E4B95A4877EF21E60A4C7-0000336305-0003000571-00500L-85CCC6104A494D208AF37D290EA0E91F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I had no idea there was a Classic Rock forum until now, wasn't that idea shot down?

rednik wrote: »
    Spot the brothers ???

EF3D8BC5365E4B95A4877EF21E60A4C7-0000336305-0003000571-00500L-85CCC6104A494D208AF37D290EA0E91F.jpg

VanHalenBrothers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Cill94 wrote: »
    VanHalenBrothers.jpg

You really got them. ;)

Quick question: Does anyone know anywhere good in Dublin where you can pick up post-rock albums etc. Obscure, non metal, stuff basically.

I know Into the Void is good for finding metal related things you don't come across as much, but I've started getting way way more into the likes of If These Trees Could Talk, GodSpeed You! Black Emperor etc.

I'd love to pick up some physical copies of their stuff but imagine I won't find it in bricks and mortar shops too easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Spotted this over in the mash-up thread in Cool Vids:

Goes together surprisingly well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Schism wrote: »
    I had no idea there was a Classic Rock forum until now, wasn't that idea shot down?
    Yeah, 3 times. I asked in helpdesk here and the answer I got was basically "well a mod wanted it, so we ignored popular opinion and made it anyway"

Yeah, 3 times. I asked in helpdesk here and the answer I got was basically "well a mod wanted it, so we ignored popular opinion and made it anyway"

I totally agree with your point on the vague lines between classic rock and metal. Motorhead, AC/DC, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple - these are all bands that cause heated genre debates. Plus there's the even vaguer guidelines for when a band becomes 'classic'. Silly excuse for a forum imo but I suppose if people are happier now then it's no harm. I mostly come here for the metal anyway.

• Advertisement

power_of_metal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Quick question: Does anyone know anywhere good in Dublin where you can pick up post-rock albums etc. Obscure, non metal, stuff basically.

I know Into the Void is good for finding metal related things you don't come across as much, but I've started getting way way more into the likes of If These Trees Could Talk, GodSpeed You! Black Emperor etc.

I'd love to pick up some physical copies of their stuff but imagine I won't find it in bricks and mortar shops too easily

Go online for them. Have tried for If These Trees Could Talk albums in HMV and was told they could order them for me and that they were imports (the usual crap that gets said when they are going to charge more)

Went on Amazon and it worked out far cheaper to buy three or four albums at once there than to do the same in HMV .

If you like If These Trees Could Talk, then I suggest you check out Followed By Ghosts, God is an Astronaut, and also Red Sparowes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Totally forgot about the push for a Classic Rock forum until I read this thread.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Go online for them. Have tried for If These Trees Could Talk albums in HMV and was told they could order them for me and that they were imports (the usual crap that gets said when they are going to charge more)

Went on Amazon and it worked out far cheaper to buy three or four albums at once there than to do the same in HMV .

If you like If These Trees Could Talk, then I suggest you check out Followed By Ghosts, God is an Astronaut, and also Red Sparowes

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm familiar with God is an Astronaut, I'll check out the others though!

Do Make Say Think are another good one I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Kess73 wrote: »
    Totally forgot about the push for a Classic Rock forum until I read this thread.
    It totally makes no sense imo

Can I has Glam Rock subform?

Kthxbai

If anyone is interested in posting up their feedback on the Classic Rock forum, I created a thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just as a matter of interest Malice, what is this "truth" that is coming tomorrow?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The addition of it doesn't make sense to me, but if the mod of it is insistent that it's needed, and that they can't talk here or whatever, then let them fire ahead. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If it lives it lives, and if it doesn't, then the original RnM sub-forum will be around.

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest Malice, what is this "truth" that is coming tomorrow?
    The Hillsborough Independent Panel is releasing its report which (quoting from here), has
    the remit of achieving the maximum possible disclosure of all the documents relating to the disaster, and producing a report based on in-depth research into the documents, to add to public understanding of the tragedy, its circumstances and its aftermath.

Advertisement