Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

My earplugs got a great test run at The Minutes last night. **** me, they were LOUD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Lovin' the Young Mountain avatar Dr.Poca, This Will Destroy You are definitely one of my favourite bands of the last few years! They have three great releases in Young Mountain, This Will Destroy You and Tunnel Blanket. There is also a thread on them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Just thought I'd let you all know that I've totted up the votes for the R&M awards.
    There's a few ties, so in the interest of fairness I've sent a PM to Lord Lucan to see does he want to weigh in on those seen as I've all ready voted in the main thread.

If he doesn't then it will be up to me to choose a winner.

xerces wrote: »
    Lovin' the Young Mountain avatar Dr.Poca, This Will Destroy You are definitely one of my favourite bands of the last few years! They have three great releases in Young Mountain, This Will Destroy You and Tunnel Blanket. There is also a thread on them here.

Thanks. I only got into them recently, actually listening to their self titled album right now!
    But yeah, I can't stop listening to Young Mountain, what a fantastic album.
    I was trying to think of what to use as a custom avatar and thought that album cover was cool!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What Enslaved album is worth starting out with? I had one of them years ago and I thought it was average, but they've been popping up on my last.fm and I've quite taken to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What Enslaved album is worth starting out with? I had one of them years ago and I thought it was average, but they've been popping up on my last.fm and I've quite taken to them.

Give Monumension (2001) a go and see what you think. It has a very vast and diverse sound. It's certainly not generic and it has plenty of layers to explore on multiple listens.

Convoys to Nothingness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Figured there was nowhere else to put this, pretty cool thing that happened to me today imo...

Was on twitter earlier and decided i'd take issue with something that's bothered me before: Dream Theater not having played in Ireland in eleven years. So i tweeted James LaBrie, not expecting ever to hear back:
    @Piratecjs Any chance of DT playing in Ireland next tour? Its been 11 years now..we've missed out on some great music!

Imagine my surprise when he tweeted me back a few hours later:
    @spiralism1 Will do everything in my power to try and make this happen.

Has to be good news if you're an Irish DT fan, it's been waaay too long since they were last here!

spiralism wrote: »
    Has to be good news if you're an Irish DT fan, it's been waaay too long since they were last here!

That might be his obligatory response but it would be great to see them perform on their next tour.

:)

Passenger wrote: »
    That might be his obligatory response but it would be great to see them perform on their next tour.

:)

I know he may just be saying it...but he could well have just not tweeted back at all and in all honesty i couldnt have hoped for a better response :D

• Advertisement

I know he may just be saying it...but he could well have just not tweeted back at all and in all honesty i couldnt have hoped for a better response :D

Aye, that's true enough. Well if I recall correctly, DT were about to play in Dublin a couple years ago and were offered Vicar st. or a venue of similar capacity by the promoter and it was Portnoy who declined as he was demanding the 02 or an arena sized venue, which to be fair they probably wouldn't fill as their fanbase isn't big enough in Ireland. Don't know how true all that actually is but now that Portnoy is no longer in the band it might bode well for them actually performing here on the next tour. TBH I'd much rather see them play in a small to mid-sized venue anyway.

Aye, that's true enough. Well if I recall correctly, DT were about to play in Dublin a couple years ago and were offered Vicar st. or a venue of similar capacity by the promoter and it was Portnoy who declined as he was demanding the 02 or an arena sized venue which to be fair they probably would fill as their fanbase isn't big enough in Ireland. Don't know how true all that actually is but now that Portnoy is no longer in the band it might bode well for them actually performing here on the next tour. TBH I'd much rather see them play in a small to mid-sized venue anyway.

That doesnt surprise me. Portnoy was getting a bit of an ego and seeing it as his band before anything by the end of his time in DT. Hence him suing them. I couldn't see any of the rest of them having a major issue with a smaller gig now. It's going to be another year before we'd see them anyways, LaBrie is recording at the moment and he tweeted another fan that DT are also writing.

It's a shame the ambassador isn't used anymore as a venue, would have been perfect imo. Olympia would be just fine though.

Aye, that's true enough. Well if I recall correctly, DT were about to play in Dublin a couple years ago and were offered Vicar st. or a venue of similar capacity by the promoter and it was Portnoy who declined as he was demanding the 02 or an arena sized venue, which to be fair they probably wouldn't fill as their fanbase isn't big enough in Ireland. Don't know how true all that actually is but now that Portnoy is no longer in the band it might bode well for them actually performing here on the next tour. TBH I'd much rather see them play in a small to mid-sized venue anyway.

I don't think they'd settle for a venue that small tbh. Over the past while the band has become increasingly more business orientated (at least I really get that impression from various clips of them talking etc. Wasn't that part of why they kicked out Portnoy?) and they expect to play big gigs these days.
    It would cost a lot for them to get all their gear over hear and only play in a small venue.

That said, I would go and see them again if they did come.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I don't think they'd settle for a venue that small tbh. Over the past while the band has become increasingly more business orientated (at least I really get that impression from various clips of them talking etc. Wasn't that part of why they kicked out Portnoy?) and they expect to play big gigs these days.
    It would cost a lot for them to get all their gear over hear and only play in a small venue.

That said, I would go and see them again if they did come.

Portnoy left because he wanted to take time out and do side projects for a lengthy spell and he expected the band to do similar. The rest of them wanted to continue touring and recording, hence the split. It would cost a lot but they would still make a profit or at least break even at olympia. They played many venues that size throughout the 90s in fairness.

Portnoy left because he wanted to take time out and do side projects for a lengthy spell and he expected the band to do similar. The rest of them wanted to continue touring and recording, hence the split. It would cost a lot but they would still make a profit or at least break even at olympia. They played many venues that size throughout the 90s in fairness.

I've heard Portnoy say the opposite to an extent. That he was burnt out from the relentless machine that was DT. Wanted them to stop for a bit, but the other guys wanted to keep going. That it was a good time to be in Dream Theater (Petrucci says this in the drummer interviews and I assume they mean financially etc).

And sure, in the 90's I could see it. But you're talking coming on 2 decades later. They're on a bigger label now and used to making more money.
    I hate to say it of any band, particularly as DT have written some of my favourite albums, but I feel they've sold out to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

According to Esctoday.com, Finnish heavy metal monsters LORDI, who won the 2006 Eurovision Song Contest, will perform at the 2013 Irish Eurovision national final, "Eurosong 2013", on Friday, February 22.

The 2013 Irish Eurovision final will be aired live during the "Late Late Show" on RTE 1 at 22:35 CET and will be hosted by Ryan Tubridy.

Source :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Am looking forward to the Lordi gig :o

Was anyone else at Grand Magus in the Pint last night? It was a good gig, bit on the short side though; they only played for just over an hour.

A friend said he could see the setlist on the wall and it had a few songs crossed off. I wonder why they cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What's with all these horrible metal Rush covers coming out these days? There was Anthrax's butchering of Anthem, and now Subdivisions has been brutalised by Omnium Gatherum:

:eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Off to see Steven Wilson in Glasgow today!

That is all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

<-- Jealous.

xerces wrote: »
    <-- Jealous.

I'm not normally one to gloat, but this is too big a moment to pass up!!

https://twitter.com/CiaranMurphy224/status/308156648663420928/photo/1

The other guy is me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've just followed you on Twitter!:p

Great pic btw.

Nice one, Poca. Did you speak much with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So jealous of ya right now. How was the gig?

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've just followed you on Twitter!:p

Great pic btw.

Thanks! I've just followed you back, nice profile pic as well! Be warned that I post some inane crap though.
    Nice one, Poca. Did you speak much with him?

Unfortunately there were a lot of people so didn't get to chat for him much. Just saying I saw him with PT in Dublin, big inspiration for me personally, got the album signed and the pic. He was really friendly and seemed honestly to be happy meeting with fans.
    All in all he seems like a cool guy!
    Mushy wrote: »
    So jealous of ya right now. How was the gig?

The gig was absolutely fantastic. Sound was good, great setlist, great performance, and the crowd was excellent as well. All in all it was a fantastic day.
    Surprisingly, they played Radioactive Toy as an encore. Wasn't expecting any PT (He said it was ok cause they haven't played it fully in 15 years :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

spot the odd one out ;)

BdynMt3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Alice Cooper?

his panda eyes are from a heavy night..

• Advertisement

Who is that on the top row, 5th across? Some guy who couldn't grow a beard, so painted one on? The Frank Beard of black metal?

Advertisement