Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Another guitar player as well, but play a bit of drums as well. Never got anything together for a band, so just play for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

Temple of the chat king .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

any tips or tricks to learning a song by ear? I'm trying to do something at the moment, but it seems incredibly hard :o

Dont stop trying is all i can say

that's definitely good advice, I'm full of persistence ;)

• Advertisement

Just listen to the song many times and play the notes you believe or hear a right.Try until you do it.I sometimes use a recorder to hear myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yeah, have an album recorded and released. I don't want to create unnecessary pimpage here though

Ahem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone know when Metallica are back in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Are they due back? Or even on tour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Passenger wrote: »

Are they due back? Or even on tour?
    Don't know
    I missed the last gig was pretty sick for few weeks
    Seen 06 and 08 and guess just miss them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

526395_10151521343624265_837725433_n.jpg

So guys, been practicing some scales, trying to learn 3 note per string patterns. :D

Hopefully this works well, I think my scales have been fairly bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I should really get back into learning scales myself. Managed to learn the pentatonic, blues and major scales and then got lazy. I really should go back and learn some new scale and general music theory. Although, scales were fairly handy in getting use to moving around the neck of the guitar.

There's no substitute for practice. If you want to get to Carnegie hall and all that. ;)

oh absolutely, I try practice scales to a metronome once I've got the fingers right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i am trying to practise but i get distracted so so easily and end up widdling away

I need discipline

if only they sold it in bottles.........

i am trying to practise but i get distracted so so easily and end up widdling away

but seriously, I get the same way myself, I get distracted constantly.

the trick is when you're practicing, set yourself a goal and keep at it until you've reached that goal no matter how many times you get distracted you keep coming back to that goal until you've achieved it. it doesn't have to be anything big either, your goal can be just to learn a new part of a song you're working on or something, practicing a scale until you get it right, it can be anything no matter how small as long as you keep at it until you get it.

so sometimes it might take me ages to do something 'cos I keep getting distracted, but I'll keep plugging until I have it done ;)

try that. set yourself a goal, and try to achieve it no matter how many times you get distracted

• Advertisement

this chat thread ain't so lively as chat threads on other forums, anyone think we can give it a shot in the arm? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I play drums have so for 20 years. Played in a number of bands over the years. Jamming with a bassist at the moment, call ourselves Stereo Nazis. Recorded an ep in February entitled American Girls Love Anál.

Links234 wrote: »
    this chat thread ain't so lively as chat threads on other forums, anyone think we can give it a shot in the arm? :D

Sure why not. R&M probably doesn't have as much traffic as other forums. Or does it?

Anyway, what's everyone's plan for the weekend?

Sure why not. R&M probably doesn't have as much traffic as other forums. Or does it?

Anyway, what's everyone's plan for the weekend?

It's probably got enough traffic alright, and the way I look at other forums, chat threads seem to attract more traffic anyway so it's probably worth a try ;)

My plans are probably burgers and beer with my girlfriend on friday, do nothing on saturday and then head home to the family sunday and get takeaway or something. fairly boring. would've loved to see Scar Symmetry in Dub on sat, but lacking the funds. I'd say they're awesome live :D not a huge fan of the pint though

It's probably got enough traffic alright, and the way I look at other forums, chat threads seem to attract more traffic anyway so it's probably worth a try ;)

My plans are probably burgers and beer with my girlfriend on friday, do nothing on saturday and then head home to the family sunday and get takeaway or something. fairly boring. would've loved to see Scar Symmetry in Dub on sat, but lacking the funds. I'd say they're awesome live :D not a huge fan of the pint though

Wouldn't mind seeing them myself. Ah the Pint is grand. They've improved the PA now. I was there for the Wacken competition on Sat and the sound was very good. The staff are grand and the pints are decent enough. I'm debating whether or not to go to the Shoctopus album launch in the Button Factory tomorrow night. Thing is everywhere will stop serving at 12 or before it.

Wouldn't mind seeing them myself. Ah the Pint is grand. They've improved the PA now. I was there for the Wacken competition on Sat and the sound was very good. The staff are grand and the pints are decent enough. I'm debating whether or not to go to the Shoctopus album launch in the Button Factory tomorrow night. Thing is everywhere will stop serving at 12 or before it.

I don't know, I've found the stage hard to see in the Pint, when we went to see Alestorm there it was awful. The sound was grand, and it was a good gig, but couldn't really see much and a friend of mine who's a good bit shorter couldn't see a thing. I don't know if that's changed since the last time we were there, but after some gig, we were just sitting on the edge of the stage. If the place is anyway packed, you either have to be right up front or rather tall to see much I find.

Wouldn't the button factory turf everyone out long before 12 anyway? ;)

I don't know, I've found the stage hard to see in the Pint, when we went to see Alestorm there it was awful. The sound was grand, and it was a good gig, but couldn't really see much and a friend of mine who's a good bit shorter couldn't see a thing. I don't know if that's changed since the last time we were there, but after some gig, we were just sitting on the edge of the stage. If the place is anyway packed, you either have to be right up front or rather tall to see much I find.

Ah. Well that's understandable. But there's little they can do about that. I seem to enjoy the gigs there though I am taller than most. :D
    Wouldn't the button factory turf everyone out long before 12 anyway? ;)

Aye, I meant that I'd like to make a night of it, y'know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Most of the shows I go to these days are in the Pint, when I started going most were down in Whelans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have the video tape :D

• Advertisement

Ah. Well that's understandable. But there's little they can do about that. I seem to enjoy the gigs there though I am taller than most. :D

Aye, I meant that I'd like to make a night of it, y'know.

I know, nothing to be done there, just why I think the Pint sucks half the time ;) I'm tall enough myself, but even I have trouble seeing the stage if it's busy.

Advertisement