Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

ah but this is the off topic kinda thread, so I'm sure it's on-topic ;)

I know you can get more bang for your buck second hand, especially these days as it's a buyers market, but I'm really interested in that amp. not a huge fan of the blackstars, and I'm really not looking at a full sized amp either. I love small tube amps, and I've currently got the Gigmaster 15. it's incredibly handy because of the power soak, so you can take it down from full power to 5 watts to 1 watt or speaker off for headphones or recording. and also way prefer a small amp for taking it to friends places. my girlfriend has the blackstar HT5 too, so those sorta amps are perfect for the space we're in and what we want to do. I love the idea of a great sounding heavy metal amp in a little lunchbox size

I do know I'm pretty much paying for it being so small, 'cos if I wanted I could get a EVH 5150III 50watt for a similar price but it just wouldn't suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

fair point, i have a HT1r myself and a 2x12 marshall through which it sounds great ( and very loud)

was in Jimis music store last week and he had a vox nightrain small tube head
    2nd hand for 250 euro!

was tempted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Has anybody ever used the site legalsounds.com to download music?

I'm afraid not Passenger, sorry :o
    fair point, i have a HT1r myself and a 2x12 marshall through which it sounds great ( and very loud)

was in Jimis music store last week and he had a vox nightrain small tube head
    2nd hand for 250 euro!

was tempted!

that's the thing really isn't it, the small tube amps can be intensely loud, you don't quite expect it for the size. that's why I think the Ironball would be more than enough for me at 20 watts, and I'd probably be playing it turned down to 1 watt most of the time in the house anyway, because even at 1 the gigmaster can still be very loud. I'm not sure what cab I'd get though, maybe a 1x10 again or a 1x12? keeping it small and portable is a big plus, but if a 12" speaker would sound better I might see what my options are

never been to jimi's where is it?

http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/

he's in ballymount industrial estate in dublin 12 has a good selection of older gear as well as modern stuff

the cab choice is difficult as hell, have a 1922 marshall and sometimes i love it and sometimes i thinks it's too bright and harsh.

need my ears sorting maybe :pac:

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Has anybody ever used the site legalsounds.com to download music?

never heard of it, be careful with that credit card eugene!!!

a quick google reveals a russian website with reported dubious quality dL's
    also i wouldn't trust any business without a published address and contact number

reckon stay clear

I don't know where ballymount is :o might check it out if I ever find myself out there though ;)

on another note,
    sometimes I wonder if I listen to too much Japanese metal :pac:

never heard of it, be careful with that credit card eugene!!!

a quick google reveals a russian website with reported dubious quality dL's
    also i wouldn't trust any business without a published address and contact number

reckon stay clear

Aye, that's why I'm wondering. Though I have heard positive opinions from people but the fact that we're required to give over credit card details to a company with no address does seem a tad dubious as you said.

Links234 wrote: »
    sometimes I wonder if I listen to too much Japanese metal :pac:

If your posts in the 'Now listening to..." thread are anything to go by then its a resounding yes. :D

Nah, they're all decent bands that you post in there to be fair. The Japanese are certainly technically very proficient but maybe a little ott and flamboyant when comparable to their European counterparts.

well a lot of European bands can be ott and flamboyant in their own way. look at a lot of black metal bands, they've got their style, a certain image they like to project onstage. just look at Dimmu ;)http://www.htbackdrops.com/v2/albums/userpics/11610/Dimmu_Borgir_281129.jpg or some of Rammstein's get-ups :p

I know what you mean though, a lot of them do go all out with the image

but I do love a lot of the Japanese musicians though, they're extremely talented but it's not just that they're technically proficient, I think I hear a lot of things in their music that I find unique to Japanese metal. a lot of idiosyncraticies in the vocals especially, and some of the guitar playing. not sure how to explain it, but just stuff that I don't hear elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Anybody heading to Kreator? Good support from Evile and Xentrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

Evile are really good. They would prepare the people for Kreator. I think they sound a bit like Metallica .

Not sure if I'll be up for Kreator, things are looking tight in the money department these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Not sure if I'll be up for Kreator, things are looking tight in the money department these days.

Yeah, if I hadn't already spent most of my money on the 3 concerts I'm heading to I'd have probably picked up a Kreator ticket too.

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, if I hadn't already spent most of my money on the 3 concerts I'm heading to I'd have probably picked up a Kreator ticket too.

Got in Korpiklaani and Enslaved already this year, so it's not too bad on the concert front ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I haven't had any this year, I had a good haul last year though:

Suffocation, Cattle Decapitation, Blood Red Throne, Cerebral Bore, Sadist, Carceri
    Lamb of God & Sylosis
    Aborted, Putrefy, Ancient Ascendant, Guttrench
    Filthfest (8 bands including The Rotted)
    Dying Fetus, Job for a Cowboy, Revocation, Cerebral Bore
    Decapitated, Xerath, Bloodshot Dawn, Fragments, Three Hour Ceasefire and Aesect.

One of my friends is in the Aesect band that supported Decapitated too :D

Plenty of decent gigs on the horizon. Would like to see Ennio Morricone in the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham too but it's e100 for the pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Plenty of decent gigs on the horizon. Would like to see Ennio Morricone in the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham too but it's e100 for the pleasure.

It's already sold out.:eek:

rednik wrote: »
    It's already sold out.:eek:

Aye, kinda half expected it to sell out but sure you'd find a few tickets floating around someplace. ;)

Morricone would be very cool to see if I had the spare coins :D

I can't remember though, I think it was Alestorm I went to see last year? don't think I got in as many gigs in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Love Morricone's compositions, damn, I'd love to see that, quite expensive but I'm sure it'd be worth it. End of July as well, good going, plenty of stuff on the go over these next couple of months, annoyed to be missing Devin Townsend but thankfully that's the only major one I'm missing this summer.

I was playing an 8 String guitar today :pac:

2416.png

I love QC :D

Angron wrote: »
    I love QC :D

I enjoyed myself playing the 8 string, I was completely LOST at first! thought it was in some strange tuning until I realized it was actually way out of tune :p but then myself and herself had some crazy fun with it :D not sure if I could manage with 8 strings though, it's strange

There any other webcomics you read links?

but then myself and herself had some crazy fun with it :D not sure if I could manage with 8 strings though, it's strange

Whaaaaaaat??!!!!!!!! :D

only read a few irregularly, but I do love oglaf :pac:

8 strings are probably too much for me? I got lost trying to play :p

8 strings are probably too much for me? I got lost trying to play :p

8 strings are really for musicians who are trying to achieve a certain sound. Certainly not for everybody. What do you think of Meshuggah, Links?

Oglaf is brilliant, shame it only updates on a Sunday. I have a whole load that I read, like SMBC, Something Positive, and XKCD.

• Advertisement

What do you think of Meshiggah, Links?

Not sure, but I'm a fan of Meshuggah ;)

Advertisement