Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I love AN, their album "In The Constellation of the Black Widow" was magnificent, and the next two were crackers as well, Vanitas and Passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Angron wrote: »
    I was never a big Devon fan myself.

Why not? Too much melody for ye?! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Passenger wrote: »
    Why not? Too much melody for ye?! ;)
    Nope, just not a fan.

Links234 wrote: »
    I have the first Anaal Nathrakh album, it's funny :p

It's a little too formulaic though, isn't it? Why does every song sound like the previous?! I think with certain bands you really have to train your ears to listen to them, maybe Anaal Nathrakh are one of those bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The whole Ziltoid thing is ridiculous . Doesn't do it for me at all. It's the low point in his otherwise flawless discography IMO.
    Horses for courses though, isn't it? I love Ziltoid, thought it was far better than some of the more recent albums, Ki bored me.
    Yep, I command you to make a weekend of it. You're coming all the way from Galway. You have to. ;)
    even if I don't see Cryptopsy I definitely want to see Devy that's for sure
    I think he makes a good point about not knowing theory as it is kind of liberating for him as he's not being constricted any particular rules.
    I don't know, I think knowing something can't really hurt at all and there's plenty of absolutely boring as hell players our there who don't know thoery, so it's not something that's really going to restrict you. and that's coming from someone who's probably never gonna wrap her head around theory :o

but I do like knowing what notes I'm playing instead of just fret 1 2 3 etc. I'm not sure if that exactly counts as theory, and I might come off sounding like an idiot here, but just knowing where the notes are on the fretboard has been so handy for me because I can find different places to play things, and know where I can play something that's gonna be in key. so it's opened up a lot of new things to me.

of course, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary 'cos Vai knows all his theory and is boring as hell :pac:
    It's a little too formulaic though, isn't it? Why does every song sound like the previous?! I think with certain bands you really have to train your ears to listen to them, maybe Anaal Nathrakh are one of those bands.

yeah, wouldn't be something I'd really listen to much at all, I think I got the album ages ago because of how "extreme" it was and me being young I wanted to push my boundaries.

• Advertisement

AN would be my favourite black metal band, hands down.

I'm going to that Cryptopsy show, but it's pretty much just to see Cattle Decapitation.

Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Sigh, Emperor and Immortal. bands like that would be more my kinda black metal ;)

I don't know, I think knowing something can't really hurt at all and there's plenty of absolutely boring as hell players our there who don't know thoery, so it's not something that's really going to restrict you. and that's coming from someone who's probably never gonna wrap her head around theory :o

but I do like knowing what notes I'm playing instead of just fret 1 2 3 etc. I'm not sure if that exactly counts as theory, and I might come off sounding like an idiot here, but just knowing where the notes are on the fretboard has been so handy for me because I can find different places to play things, and know where I can play something that's gonna be in key. so it's opened up a lot of new things to me.

of course, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary 'cos Vai knows all his theory and is boring as hell :pac:

It's really dependent on the player. If you have all these great ideas for songwriting but you don't have the chops for it or it's beyond your technical ability then maybe having the knowledge of some theory will allow you to facilitate those ideas a lot easier.

And Vai is anything but boring. Philistine. :p

Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, Sigh, Emperor and Immortal. bands like that would be more my kinda black metal ;)

Any Black Metal band that doesn't subscribe to the whole panda eyes and make up lark tends to be taken a lot more seriously. Enslaved as I've mentioned before are superb.

I can't take Immortal serious in any way, they are probably the most hilarious BM band around.

According to last.fm, my top 5 BM bands in order of plays are Anaal Nathrakh, Mayhem, Impaled Nazarene, Behemoth, and Cradle of Filth. Taking out the last 2 cause they haven't always been BM, the next two are Xasthur and Shining.

• Advertisement

It's really dependent on the player. If you have all these great ideas for songwriting but you don't have the chops for it or it's beyond your technical ability then maybe having the knowledge of some theory will allow you to facilitate those ideas a lot easier.
    that's the way I look at it anyway, learning something new can always help ;)
    And Vai is anything but boring. Philistine. tongue.png
    Vai totally bores me to death!
    but just for the sake of argument I looked up a video on youtube and gave it a watch, and I think if you wanted to torture me (in the bad way I mean, not the handcuffs and whips kinda way) tie me to a chair and play an hour of that, I'd be confessing to shooting JFK at that point :p

oooh look at me and my perfectly waxed chest and how awesome I am! I totally practiced these facial expressions infront of a mirror, I think they based the character of Derek Zoolander on me, I should totally sue. now I gotta play this show-off bit with all hammer ons while I fix my hair with my right hand, I am so god damn smooth. here have a gratitous NIP-SLIP!!! :pac:

tumblr_m7t1ua1UAY1rnfgmi.gif

the most interesting thing about that vid is that I just didn't imagine my night would include watching a guy on stage masturbating to an audience, but there you have it :p

:)

I now patiently await being ran out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks and torches

oooh look at me and my perfectly waxed chest and how awesome I am! I totally practiced these facial expressions infront of a mirror, I think they based the character of Derek Zoolander on me, I should totally sue. now I gotta play this show-off bit with all hammer ons while I fix my hair with my right hand, I am so god damn smooth. here have a gratitous NIP-SLIP!!! :pac:

the most interesting thing about that vid is that I just didn't imagine my night would include watching a guy on stage masturbating to an audience, but there you have it :p

You say all that as if it's a bad thing. :D I don't think Vai takes himself as seriously as his image and stage demeanor would suggest though.

You say all that as if it's a bad thing. :D

:P

the music does absolutely 0 for me that's kinda what I'm saying ;)

whatever about what immortal look like, they make awesome music. :D

Oh I don't doubt that Immortal make good music, it's just that one of the guys make-up makes him look kinda like Tard the Cat :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

1365687037.jpg

524645_547086521981054_1541646489_n.jpg

I'm a bit sick with jealousy here but this is amazing :D

:eek:

Nice! What is it with female musicians?! People wouldn't look twice if that was some bearded dude. Her YouTube also has disabled comments which was a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

go on git outta here!
    (points fork at philistine in thread)
    :P

Alex skolnick is another guitarist i admire greatly, his work with Testament amazing

Thanks for heads up on Devin townsend folks!

:eek:

Nice! What is it with female musicians?! People wouldn't look twice if that was some bearded dude. Her YouTube also has disabled comments which was a good idea.

honestly? I think female musicians get a lot of harsh criticism, and a guy wouldn't have to disable comments for example.

• Advertisement

I can't see the vid where I am, so I dunno what it's about, but in metal it's generally obvious what's the deal with women. It's something of a novelty, you rarely see females in bands outside of symphonic stuff.

For all I know, I'm missing the point of the vid entirely though :pac:

I ran across some Latvian jokes, and I feel terrible for laughing, but...

Latvian man hear knock at door. “Who is it?” ask man. “Is Potato Man. Am delivering free potatoes door-to-door” say voice. Man rejoice. “Oh! Such a blessing! This must be wonderful dream!” Latvian open door, man say “just kidding. Is Secret Police.” Such is life.

should we have a dedicated rock/metal musicians thread? just a thought

No. This one is quiet enough as it is. You can discuss everything you need to about Rock/metal here we just need more people to participate.

fair enough ;)

any plays for the weekend?

I'm currently watching a pair of shoes on ebay, hoping I can snap them up relatively cheap. so fingers crossed! :D

fair enough ;)

any plays for the weekend?

I'm currently watching a pair of shoes on ebay, hoping I can snap them up relatively cheap. so fingers crossed! :D

Why do you want a new forum anyway, Links?

I'm gonna have a quiet one tonight with a bottle of Warsteiner and then go out for a few tasty beverages tomorrow. Maybe see a gig.

I use ebay all the time. Though I'd never bid on items, I just click Buy It Now when I'm looking up an item that I want. There's always somebody that gets in at the very last second to outbid you. There are some great bargains on there though.

Why do you want a new forum anyway, Links?
    oh no, not a new forum! just a thread here in this forum
    I'm gonna have a quiet one tonight with a bottle of Warsteiner and then go out for a few tasty beverages tomorrow. Maybe see a gig.

I use ebay all the time. Though I'd never bid on items, I just click Buy It Now when I'm looking up an item that I want. There's always somebody that gets in at the very last second to outbid you. There are some great bargains on there though.

there was no buyitnow option so I'm stuck to bidding and hoping that it doesn't get expensive before it ends, 'cos I want new shoes! :eek:

oh no, not a new forum! just a thread here in this forum

there was no buyitnow option so I'm stuck to bidding and hoping that it doesn't get expensive before it ends, 'cos I want new shoes! :eek:

I meant to say Thread. :o

21742_479288592094181_1096392640_n.jpg

• Advertisement

oh wow, that is a hot look ;)
    I meant to say Thread. :o

I dunno, just thought it might be interesting, or might help spice the forum up a bit

Advertisement