Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't want to take all the credit, but I will. I gave the place a well needed shot in the arm :D

:p

between myself, Passenger and Angron, we've sparked this thread quite a bit. I had started posting about all the awesome Japanese bands I listen to, and well, just waffling on about stuff in general. this place has so much untapped potention, and it's way nicer than 95% of metal forums out there so it's very pleasant just to chat on
    So much untapped potential and such modesty too!

I remember the japanese metal in the "now listening to" thread a while back. Not my bag, but diversity is always good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So much untapped potential and such modesty too!

I remember the japanese metal in the "now listening to" thread a while back. Not my bag, but diversity is always good!

you're too kind :o

what do you like in general yourself?

I don't listen to Japanese stuff all the time, just most of it :p

Also, here's a cat sneezing, with added grossness :pac:

UboxTmV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Between myself, Passenger and Angron, we've sparked this thread quite a bit. I had started posting about all the awesome Japanese bands I listen to, and well, just waffling on about stuff in general. this place has so much untapped potention, and it's way nicer than 95% of metal forums out there so it's very pleasant just to chat on

True, not a fan of a lot of Metal forums but this one seems to refrain from a lot of the elitism that pervades other forums. I think talk and discussion about Rock & Metal is more conducive to a more interesting forum then just random bickering ("my taste in bands is better than your taste") that you might find elsewhere.
    Max Power1 wrote: »

Plenty of decent Japanese Metal bands out there that might tickle your fancy. They seem to have a musical approach that is uniquely Japanese. Most of what Links posts would gravitate toward the Prog/Power Metal side of things. Would you agree with that, Links?

Passenger wrote: »
    Would you agree with that, Links?

I think so, I mean you could call Versailles power metal or symphonic metal, between that and Kamelot, etc I guess so. Would stuff like Periphery, Devin Townsend, Nevermore fall under Prog? or what about Deluhi?

I kinda tend to ignore genres, I mean stuff like "Djent" makes no sense, and a lot of the Japanese stuff I'd listen to is classed as "Visual Kei" but a lot of bands under that labal can be so completely different, it seems like it can be almost anything. *shrugs*

I listen to metal, most of it would probably be pretty modern? so yeah, modern metal :p

and yeah, the lack of bickering is what's so cool :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

As I mentioned before, the only Japanese metal band I'd really listen to is Sigh.

I haven't the foggiest what Djent is :pac:

Angron wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, the only Japanese metal band I'd really listen to is Sigh.

I haven't the foggiest what Djent is :pac:

It's a genre that was borne out of Meshuggah's particular sound that other bands utilised in their sound.

Djent.

I think so, I mean you could call Versailles power metal or symphonic metal, between that and Kamelot, etc I guess so. Would stuff like Periphery, Devin Townsend, Nevermore fall under Prog? or what about Deluhi?

I kinda tend to ignore genres, I mean stuff like "Djent" makes no sense, and a lot of the Japanese stuff I'd listen to is classed as "Visual Kei" but a lot of bands under that labal can be so completely different, it seems like it can be almost anything. *shrugs*

I listen to metal, most of it would probably be pretty modern? so yeah, modern metal :p

You pretty much summed it up, Links. I just expected you to reply with a 'Yes, I listen to Power/Prog Metal, Passenger'. :D

sorry

yes, I listen to power/prog metal passenger :)

happy?

Haha I thought you decided it was 'Modern Metal'? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Where do you guys go to find new music? I usually head to sputnikmusic or RYM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just remembered I actually do listen to a Japanese band, Electric Eel Shock. Seen them play once and they're as mad as a bag of cats. Although, when I saw them they didn't have their naked drummer with them. :(

Very different style to the Japanese bands you listen to Links.

Over the past few weeks I've been finding a few new bands from Terrorizer's Best Album lists. I found a few good bands there, looked them up on YouTube then found similar bands recommend by Last.fm. That Rocklist website has Best Album lists from numerous publications. You could also look up Pitchfork's Album of the Year lists too. :)

Over the past few weeks I've been finding a few new bands from Terrorizer's Best Album lists. I found a few good bands there, looked them up on YouTube then found similar bands recommend by Last.fm. That Rocklist website has Best Album lists from numerous publications. You could also look up Pitchfork's Album of the Year lists too. :)

I'd tend to shy away from mainstream publications, they miss too much of the good stuff and only focus on what appeals to the most people.

Haha I thought you decided it was 'Modern Metal'? :D
    ok fine!

I like modern metal

happy now!? sigh :o

Youtube mostly

You guys should give those sites a look... just make sure you sort best albums by year.

I'd tend to shy away from mainstream publications, they miss too much of the good stuff and only focus on what appeals to the most people.

Well I don't know if I would necessarily call Terrorizer or Pitchfork 'mainstream.' To be fair, if you look at their Album of the Year lists, you won't have heard of a lot of the bands listed.

Very different style to the Japanese bands you listen to Links.

pretty cool stuff though ;)

you ever listen to Maximum the Hormone? they're nuts, kinda a mix of punk and metal and mix it up a lot,

Well I don't know if I would necessarily call Terrorizer or Pitchfork 'mainstream.' To be fair, if you look at their Album of the Year lists, you won't have heard of a lot of the bands listed.
    Terrorizer is fine but i dont like pitchfork very much. Their reviews are pretty awful for the most part. But you are right, they aren't very mainstream. But i have heard of a lot of bands mentioned by them (thanks to /mu/)

also, if you're into that sorta thing,

http://shattered-tranquility.net/

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

God I absolutely adore Sigh, I hope someday soon I get to see them live.
    In Somniphobia was album of the year for me last year and its still on constant rotation.As mentioned earlier EES are savage live,great fun.

Nea wrote: »
    I hope someday soon I get to see them live.

I was bugging the DME guys to get them over, but looks like they're only doing festivals these days.

I really need to catch up with them, I think I've missed their last 2 albums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I found out about Sigh after someone suggested I listen to that Gallhammer band, who I thought were kinda crap, but I decided to check out a few more Japanese bands anyway, and Sigh really stuck with me.

I was bugging the DME guys to get them over, but looks like they're only doing festivals these days.

I really need to catch up with them, I think I've missed their last 2 albums.

Get In Somniphobia anyway its one of their best right next to Imaginary. I bought a Sigh T shirt recently and got an email back from Mirai ,I asked was there any plans to play Dublin,he said he would love to play Dublin again but as you mentioned it only seems to be festivals at the min. I was hoping they would play Bloodstock but not to be.

oooooh, what's the T-shirt? pics! :D

yeah, the lineup for bloodstock isn't great at all this year, hopefully we'll go next year. my girlfriend's never been to a music festival before and I'd love for her first to be something truly awesome :D

by the way, now we've a few more people chatting away, are any of you guys musicians? :)

by the way, now we've a few more people chatting away, are any of you guys musicians? :)
    Not in a band but I play guitar and bass. I'd play drums too but there's no room.

At least I can play drums on rock band...... :(

I think I might go on the Sunday as I really want to see Amorphis and I dont think there is any chance of them playing here and it seems to be the best day,although Gojira were added today to play on the Sat. Unless I can sweet talk someone into minding my babas for the whole weekend:D

83030160.jpg

Nea, that's a sweet tee!

Clandestine, I'm playing guitar, not in a band or anything either. currently trying to learn some theory, and I'm working on learning modes and major scale theory, which is going well at the moment.

looking at a new amp too though

• Advertisement

Clandestine, I'm playing guitar, not in a band or anything either. currently trying to learn some theory, and I'm working on learning modes and major scale theory, which is going well at the moment
    I only learned how to play guitar through tabs, I know very little theory. What songs are you learning right now?

Advertisement