Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I only learned how to play guitar through tabs, I know very little theory. What songs are you learning right now?

not learning any new songs right now, just been working on the modes. what do you play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Links234 wrote: »
    not learning any new songs right now, just been working on the modes. what do you play?
    At the Gates are my favorite band to play on guitar so this often:

and Death on bass i.e

that's great :D

I've been meaning to learn an in flames song at some point ;) might get cracking on that soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

pretty cool stuff though ;)

you ever listen to Maximum the Hormone? they're nuts, kinda a mix of punk and metal and mix it up a lot,

That's mad. Nice mix of things without sounding forced together.

More Japanese (instrumental) rock:

I actually know more Japanese bands than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Terrorizer is fine but i dont like pitchfork very much. Their reviews are pretty awful for the most part. But you are right, they aren't very mainstream. But i have heard of a lot of bands mentioned by them (thanks to /mu/)

Plus those publications in particular can be a good source in finding music that has at least passed some sort of litmus test regards quality. Though I'm sure some would argue what the barometer of quality actually is. :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

you're too kind :o

what do you like in general yourself?

I don't listen to Japanese stuff all the time, just most of it :p
    Haha

usually I prefer a rather eclectic mix of Thrash, Death and Glam - depending on the mood im in that day!

Currently I'm in work listening to a mix of the Crue and Steel Panther on shuffle. Other days when I'm pissed off at life mostly, my favourite bands tend to be the likes of Deicide.

I also like a lot of what people would laugh at for being OC metal like A7X, trivium and bullet for my valentine, which i find fits nicely midway between death and glam!

I think overall my favorite band would be megadeth - but it does change often

Hmm, midway between death and glam? never thought about it that way :D I guess I never really gave A7X or BFMV much of a go though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Suffocation and Cephalic Carnage tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hmm, midway between death and glam? never thought about it that way :D I guess I never really gave A7X or BFMV much of a go though

Haha I dont think in a literal sense, more in a mood sense. Like death is a lot more aggressive whereas glam is more of a catchy rock song with a lot of catchy riffs and some poppy & melodic elements. And then A7X or BFMV kinda fit halfway in between

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

My favourite A7X album is still Waking The Fallen, I haven't listened to much of them in a good while though. Never really been a fan of BFMV.

I get you max, I suppose a lot of what I listen to could be similar in that way, I like heavy but I like melody :)

Wish I was going too angron, should be a good show. Don't know the next gig I'll be going to.

Suffocation will be the first band I've seen 3 times, hopefully Frank will be there this time. He was sick for their last show, so I think it was the lead for Decrepit Birth that stood in.

I have a craving for Japanese food right now :o

Hey everyone.

Must give Sushi a go sometime, Links. Do you like it?

Never had sushi myself, I've been meaning to try it some time.

Angron wrote: »
    Never had sushi myself, I've been meaning to try it some time.

Hey, Angron. Yeah, been meaning to go to a proper Japanese restaurant and indulge in their delights but it's the thought of raw fish that keeps be from actually following through. :D
    My favourite A7X album is still Waking The Fallen, I haven't listened to much of them in a good while though. Never really been a fan of BFMV.

You know on some Metal forums, which I won't mention, you would get slated for admitting to liking said bands.

Passenger wrote: »
    You know on some Metal forums, which I won't mention, you would get slated for admitting to liking said bands.
    That's fair enough, couldn't really give a damn myself. I like who I like, that's good enough for me. Good thing we don't get much of that here though :pac:

That's fair enough, couldn't really give a damn myself. I like who I like, that's good enough for me. Good thing we don't get much of that here though :pac:

That's true, it's rare but you do get the odd poster around here with an elitist agenda. There was a thread there where somebody essentially berated some posters as being 'ignorant' about Metal.

Yeah, I like sushi but there's so much more to Japanese food :) there's loads of sushi that doesn't have raw fish too, you can get teriyaki chicken sushi, or vegitarian sushi, whatever :D

I'd probably get slated on quite a few metal forums for the stuff I like, but screw 'em. who the hell even says someone is 'ignorant' about metal, it's not like a maths test, there's no right or wrong way to listen to music. >_<

• Advertisement

There was a thread there where somebody essentially berated some posters as being 'ignorant' about Metal.
    Well, you can be ignorant about it, it depends.

e.g saying "reign in blood is the best thrash album ever" when you've only heard albums from the big four.

but 'best' is entirely subjective, isn't it?

saying "reign in blood is the best thrash album ever" when you've only heard albums from the big four.

Well it's more the people who listen to specific genres/bands of the older/obscure/extreme variety and then lambast anybody to would listen to 'mainstream' Metal, etc.
    I'd probably get slated on quite a few metal forums for the stuff I like, but screw 'em. who the hell even says someone is 'ignorant' about metal, it's not like a maths test, there's no right or wrong way to listen to music. >_<

Well you just have to see how some elitists thrust their opinions upon others by hijacking threads about more mainstream acts and insisting that they are more erudite because they listen to Metal that is little known.

I know what you're on about Passenger, but I don't want to comment on anyone in particular, it's a viewpoint that I don't get in general. whenever people go on about how what they listen to is more obscure, it comes across as hipster-ish and insecure :o

I know what you're on about Passenger, but I don't want to comment on anyone in particular, it's a viewpoint that I don't get in general. whenever people go on about how what they listen to is more obscure, it comes across as hipster-ish and insecure :o

Exactly. It's like they view listening to Metal as being beyond just enjoying music but being a subscription to a subculture and they feel that they have to validate themselves by denigrating others who don't meet their self imposed criteria to be 'Metal'.

Is talking about particular offenders against Mod rules? ;)

but 'best' is entirely subjective, isn't it?
    To a point yes, but I'd consider anyone who listens to a variety of genres and non-mainstream groups as having a more worthy opinion than someone who only listens to popular or well known bands, you know.

Is talking about particular offenders against Mod rules? ;)

No, I just think it would be mean and rude to talk about someone in particular, when it's just the general attitude I mean. and I don't want to be exclusionary to someone who's just come along either.

Fair point. ;)

Gonna have a mug a tea and a nice German pastry now. Rock 'n Roll or what?! :D

very \m/

I've got the guitar out again so I'm sitting down now with the aim of practicing a bit. I find I have a serious attention problem, I lack focus or discipline when trying to play or learn something, and I don't know how to fix that :o

• Advertisement

I was just playing Borderlands 2, Krieg is fun :D Running at things wielding a buzz axe, and killing stuff gives you health.

Also, I was in a Japanese restaurant before, Yamamori, and they did an amazing steak.

Advertisement