Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

That's a nice mix of breed there. I'd say they get along like a house on fire. :D

Yeah, I'm not one for going abroad specifically for gigs either tbh, especially festivals. Just never saw the appeal or justification of expenses just to see a band perform. I'd have to incorporate a tourist trip to make it worth while.

Maiden are a live band that are must see, even if you're not particularly a fan. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well I was determined to go over one way or the other, so the most of my family decided to go over with me to do a bit of a tourist job for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

woo, I've got a goody bag of painkillers and antibiotics! :D

had such an incredibly sore throat for a while now and it was like my throat was closing up, it's extremely painful to swallow. I really was in agony, and even solpadeine seemed to do nothing. finally starting to feel a bit better now :3

Glad to hear it Links. You know when Solpadeine isn't working that you really need to see a doctor. :)

Any plans for the weekend or are you still convalescing?

recombobulating :p

going to take it easy, girlfriend is away this weekend. I made 4 sheppard's pies in individual little dishes, 2 we had for dinner tonight and the other 2 are in the fridge, so that's dinner for the next 2 days done and all I need to do is pop 'em in the oven and it's done. :D

Also, got to see the 3rd Berserk movie and oh my GAWD it was unreal! :eek:

if you don't know about Berserk, it's an epic fantasy that's about as dark and brutal as you can get. originally a manga (comic book series) they made a very low budget anime series that only lasted 1 season ages ago, but recently they did a trilogy of movies that pretty much covers the same events of the series, although they did trim it down a lot. The first one had been a bit of a let down, because they really gutted a lot of story out and it was pretty short too. but on the whole, amazing :D

• Advertisement

Y'know I could never immerse myself in that whole Manga universe the way that some people can. It seems that people are either fanatical about it or just don't get it.

That some forward thinking on the din dins there Links :D

well, manga is the comic books, and then the animated stuff is called Anime. that always seems to confuse people, so lets get that out of the way

honestly, the whole Manga/Anime thing, there's so much and all of it is just so different. there's also loads of rubbish. you really have to take each show individually, and it's not all giant robots and magical girls either, you've got drama, horror, comedy, sci-fi, everything you can imagine. like I just started watching a new show called Monster, which is about a Japanese neurosurgeon working in Germany who saves the life of a little boy who had been shot in the head, then years later someone is framing him for a string of brutal murders. it's a pretty dark story, and very gritty. I was also pretty amazed because David Sylvian did the ending theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUtPttl5vg

what anime have you seen Passenger?

and yeah, it's great to have all the din dins sorted :) I'll do that often, cook up a huge pot of something like a curry and it'll last for a couple of days. Curry is awesome, because it always seems to taste better the next day

Also, I'm beginning to think there's a reason my girlfriend is constantly calling me a weeaboo

Links234 wrote: »
    well, manga is the comic books, and then the animated stuff is called Anime. that always seems to confuse people, so lets get that out of the way

honestly, the whole Manga/Anime thing, there's so much and all of it is just so different. there's also loads of rubbish. you really have to take each show individually, and it's not all giant robots and magical girls either, you've got drama, horror, comedy, sci-fi, everything you can imagine. like I just started watching a new show called Monster, which is about a Japanese neurosurgeon working in Germany who saves the life of a little boy who had been shot in the head, then years later someone is framing him for a string of brutal murders. it's a pretty dark story, and very gritty. I was also pretty amazed because David Sylvian did the ending theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUtPttl5vg

what anime have you seen Passenger?

and yeah, it's great to have all the din dins sorted :) I'll do that often, cook up a huge pot of something like a curry and it'll last for a couple of days. Curry is awesome, because it always seems to taste better the next day

Oh I know what Anime/Manga is. I gave it its dues when I was younger and I suppose you could say that I watched a lot of the classics of the genre such as the Ghibli films, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Grave of the Fireflies, etc. As I said I could never get immersed in the world as some people would so I stick to the 'must see' films that get a bit of international attention.

I'll keep that show in mind if I ever get an opportunity to watch it. :)

Ah ok ;)

yeah, I love Ghibli :D

I think I'd be the same in that a lot of anime fandom perplexes me, and I just don't see the appeal at all. like, I went to an anime con this year and there was just so much I was unfamiliar with, and so much stuff that I just never got into and really didn't see the draw. like, there was so many people dressed up like Naruto characters. I tend to just take each movie or series on it's own merits, but the kinda stuff I like often tends to be darker, more adult themed.

ever watch Cowboy Bebop, Passenger?

cowboy-bebop-still.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Main anime I've watched is Pokémon (some don't count it as anime, but it is to me!). I've also watched a fair few other things like Deathnote, Detroit Metal City, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I have a few copies of the Pokémon manga lying around here somewhere too.

I can imagine one of those Anime Con's alright, Links. :D

I have yet to see Cowboy Bebop. Should I give it a gander?

What con were you at Links? I've only gone to Eirtakon in Dublin and Akumakon in Galway before. I still shudder to think of my last Eirtakon, when I saw a Brony that managed to creep all the other Bronies out, he was just that bad.

I was at Akumakon, Angron ;)

also, I must know what this brony did to creep everyone out! :p
    could never stand pokemon

Passenger, definitely check out Cowboy Bebop, it's class! :D

He was just sort of...covered in MLP stuff. Pins, a flag saying bronies of Ireland, stuff like that. Nobody seemed comfortable around him.

I wasn't at Akumakon this year, I was there the year before though. Used to live next to one of the organisers, Sharon.

I wasn't at last year's one, but I think I know Sharon ;) if this is the same Sharon we're on about, that is. also, did you ever attend one of the quizes they had? it's absolutely nuts, I was sitting there thinking that I've absolutely 0 clue about anything for about 99% of the quiz, and then getting excited the other 1% when I said I KNOW THAT! YAY, SOMETHING I'M FAMILIAR WITH! :D

37193508.jpg

that's freakin' bizarre about the Brony... never watched MLP either

I'd love to go to one of the Dublin cons at some point, but this year is mega busy for us.

I think it is, does "I'M THE CONDUCTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN!" mean anything to you? :P

I've gotten that before at Eirtakon, I went into it telling my friends "If there are any questions on Pokémon, I'm set. Otherwise, you're on your own". I mean to watch more shows, but other stuff tends to get in the way.

Yes, that means something to me :) definitely the same Sharon so ;)

It's weird, 'cos I'm all like, I know a lot about a lot of stuff, and then when it comes to the quiz I'm all "what is this? I've no clue about any of it! At least throw in a question about Hellsing or Samurai Champloo for crying out loud!"

I've got a LOAD of shows I've wanted to catch up on, the list of stuff to watch is growing steadily. I used to have a HUGE anime collection but my harddrive died and I lost it all... most of it I can't get again :(

oh, and also!
    the trailer really doesn't do it justice, but this is Berserk:

starts off a bit like a Japanese Game of Thrones

I've actually been meaning to continue watching Detroit Metal City and Deathnote for a long time. I had both on my HD, and then like you, the HD died and I lost them all.

Actually, I really need to get a new HD altogether now, my current 1TB one is getting dangerously full thanks to all my steam games.

I've actually got the live action Death Note movies here, didn't get around to watching them yet :p picked them up in HMV for next to nothing. I think that's why I prefer buying stuff sometimes, 'cos with physical media you don't have the risk of losing it all. I'm still pissed about the HD fail, I was right in the middle of watching Last Exile

• Advertisement

With me, losing my data is one of the worst things that'll happen. I have some games that are upwards of 20 gb on their own, redownloading them on steam takes a hell of a long time at my speeds. Grand total of 613 gb of games on steam.

Yeah, I know what you mean... I don't really have that many games on Steam, but even then, it'd be an unbelievable pain if anything did happen. I got a pretty good connection too.

I was actually having a conversation with a friend recently about how we're never going to completely move beyond physical media, like there's always going to be something like vinyl for example.

Yeah, I like owning the physical media of certain things. When I can, I get the actual CDs of bands, it's just kinda nice to have them really, and it helps show the band some support.

And with steam, my download peak is around 200-300 kb/s, so it's horrible.

I think that for me, because a lot of my music is imported from the far east, I don't really have any other option anyway, it can be impossible to download some of the stuff I like. I also kinda find that buying something, it makes it more special.

part of the reason I find stuff like itunes and things dodgy as hell, it's just so much DRM and technically you don't even own the music you purchase. like, did you hear about the guy who wanted to leave his itunes music to his son and was told that he couldn't? you buy a physical album, it's yours and you can do what you want with it.

Apple try to screw people? Surely not :pac: Never heard that story though, crazy stuff.

yup!

that's pretty much why I'll stick with physical media most of the time, I'll still rip the tracks and everything, but at the same time I'll actually have the physical backup. digital media while great in principle is just full of DRM, look at all that crap with the new xbox?

Does anybody use iTunes for downloading their music?

I certainly don't

Nope for me.

• Advertisement

Angron wrote: »
    Nope for me.
    Links234 wrote: »
    I certainly don't

That's quite definitive guys. Is there a reason?

Advertisement