Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So this is happening Stateside in the summer..

mqMRutu.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Did anyone else see this?!
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gwar_frontman_oderus_urungus_reportedly_dead.html
    Several sources are today reporting that GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus (real name David Brockie) has died at the age of 50. According to Style Weekly (via Blabbermouth), police have confirmed that the 50-year-old musicians was found dead in his Richmond home by his roommate.

Former GWAR bassist Mike Bishop has issued the following statement about his bandmate:

"Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art.

"His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great frontman, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice."

Lamb of God frontman Randy Blythe also posted a tribute to Brockie via Instagram. GWAR and Lamb of God toured together in 2009:

"I got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of GWAR- my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of GWAR, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old.

"I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home & his roommates found him. When someone dies, a lot of the time people will say 'Oh, he was a unique person, really one of a kind, a true original' - most of these people no idea of what they are talking about - they obviously had never met Dave. Dave TRULY WAS ONE OF A KIND - I can't think of ANYONE even remotely like him. That's VERY HARD TO SAY."

According to theMusic.com.au, GWAR's management will issue an official statement later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Passenger wrote: »
    Aye, I only heard about it Sat and stalled in for a gander. There were 6 or 7 people there so I went to Brux. :pac:

Ha!

You going to Brains tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ha!

You going to Brains tomorrow?

Nah. Might have a quiet one tomorrow. How was Berlin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

*puts on FNM fanboy hat*

19 years to the day since this masterpiece was released! :)

Nailz wrote: »
    *puts on FNM fanboy hat*

19 years to the day since this masterpiece was released! :)

My favourite FNM album. And their most versatile and consistent too imo.

Nah. Might have a quiet one tomorrow. How was Berlin?

Twas good. COC were awesome as always. Got a set list signed by Mike Dean and a photo with him too, which completes my COC photo collection (apart from Reed, but meh :pac: )

Brains were pretty good on Saturday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My favourite FNM album. And their most versatile and consistent too imo.
    It's my favourite too, at times, and other times it's Angel Dust; that sort of thing.

Will definitely be trying to see them this summer though! Was not expecting them to be touring at all this year, was convinced that'd packed it in for at least another year. I'd love to see them perform KFAD...FFALT in its entirety next year, given that it's the albums 20th anniversary, kind of like what they'd done in Chile in December, 2012 when Trey Spuance played with them for the first time ever; that'd be something special.

hydepark14.jpg

Nailz wrote: »
    Will definitely be trying to see them this summer though! Was not expecting them to be touring at all this year, was convinced that'd packed it in for at least another year. I'd love to see them perform KFAD...FFALT in its entirety next year, given that it's the albums 20th anniversary, kind of like what they'd done in Chile in December, 2012 when Trey Spuance played with them for the first time ever; that'd be something special.

Seeing them perform at a festival wouldn't appeal to me in the slightest. It would have to be an indoor gig for sure. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey folks, how goes it? :)

Grand. And yourself, Links? ;)

Not too bad at all ;)

starting a Japanese language course :D girlfriend's off away for a few days so I get to stay up late watching all sorts of **** until the wee hours :pac: and I got a new BPRD comic book, so yeah, it's all coming up millhouse! Linksy!

Ah nice! How's the Japanese coming along?

Slow but steady ;)

some classes are sure to help though. I'm still plugging away at learning the kanji, that's actually not something I thought I'd ever be able to learn, but here I am and I already know some basic stuff :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sipping on a can of Monster and watching the last How I Met Your Mother with my housemates here.

Angron wrote: »
    Sipping on a can of Monster and watching the last How I Met Your Mother with my housemates here.

Bleurgh! :eek:

On both counts, that is :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Don't you judge me! The rat story didn't turn me off my Monster craving :P

That **** is seriously rank :p

*blows raspberry*

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    Slow but steady ;)

some classes are sure to help though. I'm still plugging away at learning the kanji, that's actually not something I thought I'd ever be able to learn, but here I am and I already know some basic stuff :)

Are you able to converse with other students? I've always been tempted to learn a new language but there's only so much one can learn from books at home. I would imagine that immersing yourself would be vital to being anyway conversational in the language.

Are you able to converse with other students? I've always been tempted to learn a new language but there's only so much one can learn from books at home. I would imagine that immersing yourself would be vital to being anyway conversational in the language.

Well, haven't started the new classes yet, but when I went to Japan before, I had a little bit of spoken Japanese, enough to get by. Like I could order food, drinks, ask where something was, as well as please, thanks, whatever else. I have a Japanese friend I meet for coffee sometimes and try to converse a little with, but my vocabulary is a bit limited.

Definitely been immersing myself as much as possible in the language.

Listening to Japanese music can't hurt either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

The How I Met Your Mother Finale... 9 years ago me cried a little at how rushed and icky it was at the ending!

Glad to hear the Japanese is going well Links :) My teacher was hinting at kanji soon and I'm all Eeek! :P

Have had a nasty ear infection the last few weeks... no headphones/earphones - life has been too silent!!

Thanks Zwill! ;) How are you getting on with it?
    Zwillinge wrote: »
    My teacher was hinting at kanji soon and I'm all Eeek! :P

www.wanikani.com

Really can't recommend it enough for learning kanji, a real kanjinating machine so it is! :p But seriously, it works incredibly well.

Have you learned Hiragana yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Thanks Zwill! ;) How are you getting on with it?

www.wanikani.com

Really can't recommend it enough for learning kanji, a real kanjinating machine so it is! :p But seriously, it works incredibly well.
    Have you learned Hiragana yet?

Thanks, shall check it out properly when starting it :):)

We haven't yet - phew! Still on the Romanized Japanese - Early days yet :)

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Thanks, shall check it out properly when starting it :):)

We haven't yet - phew! Still on the Romanized Japanese - Early days yet :)

Ah, well you'd need to know at least hiragana before using wanikani, but the good news is hiragana is SUPER easy! I used an app called Dr. Moku and although it seems incredibly childish, it works really well:

Like I said, childish. But those kind of memory tricks really work a treat, and I can read hiragana with ease. It's all about getting you to recognise the kana. Wanikani is kinda similar in that approach, using memory tricks to get you to remember the kanji and then using spaced repitition to review them.

Got tickets for the Sabbath gig in Hyde Park.

Got tickets for the Sabbath gig in Hyde Park.

Should be a good 'un.

• Advertisement

Aye, been a while since I saw them, and even longer since I last saw FNM. Soundgarden don't do much for me though, nothing against them and I do actually like some of their tunes, but not an uberfan or anything.
    Hopefully I'll get to hook up with some of my UK buddies there too.

Oh, we went to that Crypt on Saturday after the Brains gig. Wasn't bad at all actually. Was fairly empty when we got there but filled up a little. Jay was playing tunes for us all night so the music was pretty decent too :pac:

Advertisement