Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra postal charge

Options
  • 15-01-2009 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Bought an item online in the UK. All went well until a few days later I got an e-mail informing me that their web page should have charged me £20 postage and not £7 and did I want to cancel the purchase or go ahead and pay the extra. They had already taken the money from my credit card by this time. Do I have to pay the extra in order to get my item or can I insist they send it regardless as they have already been paid, and mistake was theirs and not mine.
    Web page specifically said postage to Ireland was £7 and money was drawn from my CC, not just provisionally (or whatever they call it :cool: )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you don't have to pay a penny extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and if they try to take the extra £13 from your credit card, do a chargeback and contact Trading Standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I had a similiar experience at the end of November, but the company just took the extra postage without informing me (coffeeitalia.ie, avoid like the plague!!!). They ignored my emails.

I sent all the info to my CC company, the payment confirmation etc. The CC company rang yesterday and siad if there are terms and conditions on the site that I agreed to when I purchased that allow for this "taking money" then there is nothing they can do. They have gone ahead and ordered a copy of the merchant voucher and if I am not entitled to a refund then I will have to pay the charge for this service.

At the same time the CC company do agree that the company cannot just take money without my authorisation.

I am very cross about this as I feel this means I have no protection when purchasing online if this company can just take extra money without my say so. Don't get me wrong, I would have had no problem paying the postage had they had the decency to contact me, but to just go and take the funds is an entirely different matter :mad:

What is the point in having a CC if there is no protection against this kind of behaviour?

OP, your situation is slightly different as they completed your transaction without taking the extra funds, so you might not face the same issues I do. Then again if the company wants to be mean they can just refund you and refuse to complete the purchase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They've already taken the charge for £7 postage and as such transation is complete, they can't just up the charges as they see fit after you already paid them the same as no shop can do this to you.

if they take any extra money do a chargeback for the lot with your credit card company

Advertisement